Clemson 41 - GT 10

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The team looked improved on defense for 3 quarters. The offense did not look as improved as I had hoped.

All things considered, Clemson has a great defense though.

I like CGC but if I am being honest I think we are just delaying the inevitable with his departure.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
SPECIAL TEAMS- Final score would be better if those blocked punts hadn’t happened, special teams gotta do better. Though Jude Kelly looks better, made a FG and barely missed a 57 yarder.

OFFENSE- Jeff Sims arm looks a lot more accurate, his only real mistake was trying to hit the home run ball on that first play. Besides that he did well considering the defense he was up against. Play calling was mid but with a new OC it won’t click immediately. We won’t see what we really have at offense until the WCU game.

DEFENSE- oh boy oh boy oh boy. Maybe it’s because Clemson is trash at offense but our defense played probably the best I’ve seen under Collins.

OVERALL- Teams looks more organized and disciplined. Coaching was wack but hey, we’d rather make those mistakes now against a team like Clemson so that we can play better in the games were supposed to be winning in. Team looks better, and hopefully we can fix the mistakes we made this week and take out our anger on WCU.

JacketFan137

Banned
And sad to see us literally get laughed at on a national stage bc of collins.
who is laughing at georgia tech? there’s been a big influx of these comments and i think some of y’all gotta have some perspective.

if you lose games people will make fun of your team. whether it’s by 40 or 3.

we were 24 point dogs in this game. we didn’t cover but again like someone else said why are you guys treating this like it was western carolina…

JacketFan137

Banned
Random reflections one night after the game:
  • Overall, it looked like there were two games. One game before DJ Uiagalelei pitches the ball to Shipley to escape the sack and a different game after. Clemson got energized and we lost energy after that.
  • You could also split the tale of two games when Charlie Thomas went out for Targeting.
  • Clemson has a QB controversy, and they should have one. I don’t think DJ Uiagalelei realizes how bad that 4th quarter drive looked for him. Klubnik looks much better. Dabo screwed up starting Uiagalelei.
  • Our starting OL is mostly sophomores and redshirt freshmen. There were a lot of plays that they looked good against Clemson, but Clemson rarely had to bring a 5th rusher. It's a line that can get better, but the DL-OL matchup was Clemson's biggest advantage of the night.
  • If the OL looks good by the time we play Ole Miss, then the season could go well. The story of our season is probably how quickly an inexperienced line can grow into a good line. It needs to be fast. We need to fix a lot of problems against Western Carolina.
  • I wonder what the game might have been like as the fifth game of the season instead of the first. We didn't return a lot of production from last year, and Clemson did. We're coming together as a team a lot more than Clemson is.
  • The only reason why I don't think a matchup later in the season against Clemson would go better is that I expect them to have a different QB by mid-season.
  • The first play was gutsy--our OL against their DL on a deep post route. Our OL was still jittery against a hyped DL and missed an important block. We didn't throw deep much after that play.
  • Having Western Carolina next is huge. First, we have to win. Second, we need to fix our game #1 problems. If we're going to have a good season, Western Carolina is the place to do that.
  • I think Charlie Thomas might have to sit out the first half of Western Carolina--I need to check the targeting rules.
  • We couldn't afford mistakes, and the two blocked punts were massive mistakes. The speed of our punting game had to be clear in practice. It takes forever to get our punts off.
  • I wasn't sure the end-of-the-first half run-the-clock decision had been reported correctly. It was--we had a chance to get the ball back with 45 seconds at the end of the first, and Collins played scared. His explanation was that Clemson might go for the 4th down conversion. It wasn't the call of a coach going for the jugular.
  • DL looked much better until we got into the 4th quarter. After that, I saw the Clemson OL getting under our shoulder pads. There was also a difference between our first string DL and our second string DL. Clemson moved the ball much better against our second string DL.
  • The LB play was a lot better this year compared to last. So was the DB play.
  • Dabo ran the score up. That's on us to stop him. It's been said that he doesn't like Collins and is rubbing it in. I've heard almost no other head coaches like him, and that he doesn't have many friends in the media either. Unless we play really tough, we'll face other coaches rubbing Collins' nose in it and getting bad-mouthed by the announcers while they do it.
  • This is clearly a good enough team to go bowling and have a good record against a reasonable schedule. We don't have a reasonable schedule. A lot of our toss-up games are on the road. Our out-of-conference schedule of UCF, Ole Miss, and UGA sucks.
  • Can we beat Pitt and UNC and a lot of the middle of our schedule? VT looks beatable, but a lot changes after the first game. We look better, but are we "better enough" to get six wins?
  • Six wins is still going to take a couple of upsets. Six wins is believable.
  • Collins's game-management is dangerous (to us) in a close game.
  • Our FG kicker looks like a good kicker. Our kickoff unit looks good.
  • Our kickoff and punt return teams might be good. We fair caught everything, and we should have.
  • A 41-10 score isn't a good result for us. Some of it is "garbage time" scores, but the more important thing is that we only scored 10. Yes, Clemson has a great defense, but a solid offense puts up more than 10 points against them.
i’m not sure about the dabo disdain for collins thing. i think dabo just understands the acc has to be dominated for clemson to be treated favorably by media and polls. remember when he benched trevor lawrence as they had a game sealed and then brought him back out against paul johnson a few years ago to score more? dabo is just kind of an ******* both on and off the field.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
who is laughing at georgia tech? there’s been a big influx of these comments and i think some of y’all gotta have some perspective.

if you lose games people will make fun of your team. whether it’s by 40 or 3.

we were 24 point dogs in this game. we didn’t cover but again like someone else said why are you guys treating this like it was western carolina…
The way the announcers on TV were talking about Collins during his own mistakes. Not a good look

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
The way the announcers on TV were talking about Collins during his own mistakes. Not a good look
It was bad. I talk on another sports board mostly and the people there were giving Collins hell for his odd decisions. I couldn't explain any of it myself.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It was bad. I talk on another sports board mostly and the people there were giving Collins hell for his odd decisions. I couldn't explain any of it myself.
It's one thing to expect some mistakes with freshman against a stout Clemson D,.those can get cleaned up but to have a seasoned coach make those boneheaded mistakes really makes you wonder.
Collins in his 4th year here shouldn't be making those kind of mistakes.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
It's one thing to expect some mistakes with freshman against a stout Clemson D,.those can get cleaned up but to have a seasoned coach make those boneheaded mistakes really makes you wonder.
Collins in his 4th year here shouldn't be making those kind of mistakes.

What exactly is your idea of a "seasoned" coach? One who has been around for a while or one who actually understands strategy, time outs, when to use them, when not to, trying to block a punt with 0:43 second left in a half when you don't have a returner back. Perhaps Collins thought he could take that three first half time outs to the second have and then have 6 in the second half??? ;)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Some take aways:
Clemson’s starting QB is not top 20 material. We were fortunate there, just like last year.
OL looked poorly coached.
And Collins looks lost on the sidelines. Every time the camera caught him, it looks like he’s dancing with an imaginary partner.

GTBlaze

Banned
The team looked improved on defense for 3 quarters. The offense did not look as improved as I had hoped.

All things considered, Clemson has a great defense though.

I like CGC but if I am being honest I think we are just delaying the inevitable with his departure.
I thought every aspect of the offense looked improved except our O-Line

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
Random reflections one night after the game:
  • Overall, it looked like there were two games. One game before DJ Uiagalelei pitches the ball to Shipley to escape the sack and a different game after. Clemson got energized and we lost energy after that.
  • You could also split the tale of two games when Charlie Thomas went out for Targeting.
  • Clemson has a QB controversy, and they should have one. I don’t think DJ Uiagalelei realizes how bad that 4th quarter drive looked for him. Klubnik looks much better. Dabo screwed up starting Uiagalelei.
  • Our starting OL is mostly sophomores and redshirt freshmen. There were a lot of plays that they looked good against Clemson, but Clemson rarely had to bring a 5th rusher. It's a line that can get better, but the DL-OL matchup was Clemson's biggest advantage of the night.
  • If the OL looks good by the time we play Ole Miss, then the season could go well. The story of our season is probably how quickly an inexperienced line can grow into a good line. It needs to be fast. We need to fix a lot of problems against Western Carolina.
  • I wonder what the game might have been like as the fifth game of the season instead of the first. We didn't return a lot of production from last year, and Clemson did. We're coming together as a team a lot more than Clemson is.
  • The only reason why I don't think a matchup later in the season against Clemson would go better is that I expect them to have a different QB by mid-season.
  • The first play was gutsy--our OL against their DL on a deep post route. Our OL was still jittery against a hyped DL and missed an important block. We didn't throw deep much after that play.
  • Having Western Carolina next is huge. First, we have to win. Second, we need to fix our game #1 problems. If we're going to have a good season, Western Carolina is the place to do that.
  • I think Charlie Thomas might have to sit out the first half of Western Carolina--I need to check the targeting rules.
  • We couldn't afford mistakes, and the two blocked punts were massive mistakes. The speed of our punting game had to be clear in practice. It takes forever to get our punts off.
  • I wasn't sure the end-of-the-first half run-the-clock decision had been reported correctly. It was--we had a chance to get the ball back with 45 seconds at the end of the first, and Collins played scared. His explanation was that Clemson might go for the 4th down conversion. It wasn't the call of a coach going for the jugular.
  • DL looked much better until we got into the 4th quarter. After that, I saw the Clemson OL getting under our shoulder pads. There was also a difference between our first string DL and our second string DL. Clemson moved the ball much better against our second string DL.
  • The LB play was a lot better this year compared to last. So was the DB play.
  • Dabo ran the score up. That's on us to stop him. It's been said that he doesn't like Collins and is rubbing it in. I've heard almost no other head coaches like him, and that he doesn't have many friends in the media either. Unless we play really tough, we'll face other coaches rubbing Collins' nose in it and getting bad-mouthed by the announcers while they do it.
  • This is clearly a good enough team to go bowling and have a good record against a reasonable schedule. We don't have a reasonable schedule. A lot of our toss-up games are on the road. Our out-of-conference schedule of UCF, Ole Miss, and UGA sucks.
  • Can we beat Pitt and UNC and a lot of the middle of our schedule? VT looks beatable, but a lot changes after the first game. We look better, but are we "better enough" to get six wins?
  • Six wins is still going to take a couple of upsets. Six wins is believable.
  • Collins's game-management is dangerous (to us) in a close game.
  • Our FG kicker looks like a good kicker. Our kickoff unit looks good.
  • Our kickoff and punt return teams might be good. We fair caught everything, and we should have.
  • A 41-10 score isn't a good result for us. Some of it is "garbage time" scores, but the more important thing is that we only scored 10. Yes, Clemson has a great defense, but a solid offense puts up more than 10 points against them.
Great takes, especially the two different games after Charlie and the Shipley dump off. I think the missed false start and called PI on King(?) also got us a little rattled. As much as I hated seeing our O-line struggle at the LOS, fail to block down field, and repetitively false start….I have to remember that Clemson has one of, if not the best, defensive lines in college football (plus depth). If our O-line plays smart and reduces the penalties we should see major improvement throughout the season.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Some take aways:
Clemson’s starting QB is not top 20 material. We were fortunate there, just like last year.
OL looked poorly coached.
And Collins looks lost on the sidelines. Every time the camera caught him, it looks like he’s dancing with an imaginary partner.
He always looks like the dog who caught the car and then doesn't know what to do with it.... 35 games in now and we have the same mistakes we saw in game 3 vs Citadel. He's not going to figure this out.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
i’m not sure about the dabo disdain for collins thing. i think dabo just understands the acc has to be dominated for clemson to be treated favorably by media and polls. remember when he benched trevor lawrence as they had a game sealed and then brought him back out against paul johnson a few years ago to score more? dabo is just kind of an ******* both on and off the field.

Dude he remembers the barbell lifting clown show in '19 on their field. He's been on his throat since.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My main takeaways:

GT lost a game it was predicted to lose. No shocker there.

Our defense looks much improved. Keion White looks as advertised.

Our offense is improving. OL issues with false starts need to be fixed ASAP.

Jeff Sims looked good. WRs are still a ? for me.

Special Teams looked decent except for the punt blocks. That is fixable.

All in all, we look like a team that could surprise a few teams and the national pundits on the way to a 5-6 win season this year. I was more encouraged than discouraged by last nights game.

Bonus takeaway: GT need not look far for a new HC should CGC not win enough this year. There is enough coaching "expertise" posting here on the Swarm that I am sure would give The Institute a hometown discount and immediately fix all our problems.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Dabo doesn’t hate tech. Dabo knows that he needs to beat us by 30+ to help clemsons playoff chances. Nobody watches the games so if it take them throwing up 24 under 5 minutes, he will do it.
Most pollsters will not know or care that this game was close in the third