Clemson 41 - GT 10

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t like to speak poorly on any players, but one stood out as extremely poor. Jordan Williams hasn’t progressed since he showed promise as a true Frosh. I really thought he would be special. Clemson’s DLine is upper echelon, but he looks lost out there.
He wasn't the only one. The primary problem on that team is so obvious a blind man could see it. The offensive line is terrible. As for whether or not we would have been in the game without the special teams miscues, penalties, and clock management. Perhaps but if Dabo started Cade K. they would have blown us out anyway. IIWII

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Two blocked punts, an interception, a missed FG, failed 4th down. 5+ procedure penalties,
Called zero timeouts first half, called all three by early 4th in the second, including on a 4th down fearing a fake?

17-10 with the ball in the mid-third. Outscored 24-0 to end it. The last drive we gave up on offense, so not surprised the defense also threw in the towel. I said it in the chat, we probably lost this game to the guy that will be their backup in a few weeks.

Defense looked better, looked much worse after Charlie got tossed. Offense had its moments, Jeff had a couple of bad decisions but played well for the most part. OL got worked. Good game by McCollum.

I think we can win some ACC games but they need to be multiple score wins, because I do not trust this guy in close game management.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Clemson was clearly the better team and it showed.

Defense played well enough to believe they are much improved. Two blocked punts put them in bad positions and they got worn down, but they played well. Didn't see the communication errors in the backfield like we had last year. Hard to tell how much is improvement vs how much is clemson being bad, but overall felt better.

Offense was outmanned on the line. And a lot of clemson opponents will be. Thought Sims looked good, and believe our rushing game will be good enough against lesser DLs. At the very least did enough to remain more or less where I was, optimistic, about a step forward this year. Biggest worry is I'd have liked to see our receivers make more plays and for us to get a real #1 option but didn't show it tonight. Doesn't mean it won't happen though because the Clemson D wasn't allowing for much opportunity down the field.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
There's a lot of solid potential to praise. Defensive and offensive improvements.

But it's hard to get into those too much when the overarching issue of the coach being a coward and playing to lose overshadows all of that potential. Still think we'll do ok this year. We can still give ucf and ole miss a lot to handle.... maybe

TheOldWhiteNGold

Georgia Tech Fan
My summary: some sprinkle of good things on top of a ton a bad things. Jeff and the defense looked adequate, even above average, at times, but the lack of discipline/proper execution in our other phases absolutely killed us. We deserved to lose that one, but it should’ve/would’ve been much closer with some better coaching and preparation.

slugboy

Staff member

game-wp-401411101.jpg.png

game-ep-401411101.jpg.png

Last edited:

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
He wasn't the only one. The primary problem on that team is so obvious a blind man could see it. The offensive line is terrible. As for whether or not we would have been in the game without the special teams miscues, penalties, and clock management. Perhaps but if Dabo started Cade K. they would have blown us out anyway. IIWII
Yeah, I agree. I guess it’s the Bo Nix effect. Bo, like Jordan, started as a true freshman and showed a lot of potential. As they got older, they never progressed. If you aren’t getting better, you’re getting worse. If it seemed like I was singling out 54, it wasn’t my intention. The entire line was abysmal, but that’s the best DLine we’ll see all season.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I was disappointed in some things tonight, I was also more impressed than I thought I’d be with improvements tonight. I was also confused (with some of the time management discrepancies between 1st half when TO matter less and 2nd half when they’re like 3x more valuable going in with a close score).

That said, my preseason prediction is alive and well so why can’t week 2?

An excerpt:
Week 1, feels like Weak 1: we get crushed. Clemson will be out for blood after a long offseason being told how poorly they performed last year. They’re bouncing at the gates to grab a w and we are the unfortunate sobs who play them.

Week 2, Mount the Catamounts: same but in reverse we let out the aggression from knowing we are a better team than last year and play with a sense of urgency. We show those cats from Western Carolina that dry rubbed pork > mustard BBQ and stomp the little guys. No longer shall we be beaten by the sisters of the poor teams. So hear me, we shan’t do that again. Also the OL situation starts to come together as the transfers gel (hopefully we will have picked up some more help in the portal but they missed the spring so are coming up to speed).

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Hope this is welcome: you guys looked like a good team making mistakes, tonight. The past couple years you haven't, you have looked like a bad team making the kind of mistakes that bad teams make.

I saw a lot that might translate against teams that don't have quite the talent advantage that Clemson does (e.g. pretty much anyone else in the ACC)

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
So let's hear from all the "I know we will win this game, you heard it here first" bluster who ridiculed those who had realistic expectations of what would happen in this game.

All points count until the clock reads 00:00 and Tech got arse-whipped 41-10 with enough ridiculous decisions from the sideline, wasted timeouts, and self-inflicted penalties. Defense looked stout for a half, and Chip Long should be running this team.

No more excuses, no more mulligans, no more "largest turnover in college footballl history"... the final being reported on all sports outlets is 41-10 Clemson in a blowout.

Stansbury, your tenure remains on the clock.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I was disappointed in some things tonight, I was also more impressed than I thought I’d be with improvements tonight. I was also confused (with some of the time management discrepancies between 1st half when TO matter less and 2nd half when they’re like 3x more valuable going in with a close score).

That said, my preseason prediction is alive and well so why can’t week 2?

An excerpt:
Week 1, feels like Weak 1: we get crushed. Clemson will be out for blood after a long offseason being told how poorly they performed last year. They’re bouncing at the gates to grab a w and we are the unfortunate sobs who play them.

Week 2, Mount the Catamounts: same but in reverse we let out the aggression from knowing we are a better team than last year and play with a sense of urgency. We show those cats from Western Carolina that dry rubbed pork > mustard BBQ and stomp the little guys. No longer shall we be beaten by the sisters of the poor teams. So hear me, we shan’t do that again. Also the OL situation starts to come together as the transfers gel (hopefully we will have picked up some more help in the portal but they missed the spring so are coming up to speed).
Disregard that more help from the portal bit.. I’m not Nostradamus afterall

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Hope this is welcome: you guys looked like a good team making mistakes, tonight. The past couple years you haven't, you have looked like a bad team making the kind of mistakes that bad teams make.

I saw a lot that might translate against teams that don't have quite the talent advantage that Clemson does (e.g. pretty much anyone else in the ACC)
That’s a good take. It felt like an improved team with some same ol $hi#! It’s the same ol $hi# that has me worried. I didn’t see enough improvement to overcome.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
We defended the run better, and we scored a TD, but we otherwise seemed to play statistically worse against Clemson than last year by almost every other metric. BTW last year was at Clemson and with Yates at QB.

It is what it is at this point. Geoff is going to win more or he’s gone. Sobering that people are excited about playing worse against Clemson this year than last. Drives home how bad we were at the end of last year.