CBK press conference (synopsis)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Say what you will about Collins and his social media and marketing, if THAT doesn't get you fired up, nothing will. I'm trying to think of the last great "salesmen" for Georgia Tech. O'Leary had a great staff and knew what it took to win, but did they bring this kind of energy? Not sure. Ross? Again, GREAT staff, but more typical of a Georgia Tech coach, experienced, older, more reserved, likely looking for the next opportunity.

I guess Pepper maybe? He had the 1970s equivalent of social media with his TV show and was a talker. Had a ton of talent on his teams, ELI, Drew Hill, Kent Hill, Don Bessileau, Al Richardson, etc. His presence was tolerated when he was winning and hated when he was losing. But times have changed. Collins is more up beat and social media/marketing savvy than any other coach I can think of.

All things being equal, would you rather go play for Saban or Kirby or Muschamp or Coach O or Collins? Collins all day long. Has the same Dabo feel. Family. Culture change.

Of course, things aren't all equal, but I'm just hoping that Collins and this staff can get them as close to being equal as we've ever had at Tech. The future could be bright. 2019 and 2020 could be tough years with the change in offense and the schedules, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yep, Coach Collins is the most media savvy coach in Tech history but Coach Dodd was a pretty close second. He had the Atlanta media eating out of his hand and had a way of making reporters think they were his best friend. And when he wanted to he could charm recruits and their parents into thinking this was the place for their boy. The difference is that Coach Collins has a whole staff of super hyper media stroking dudes that can beat the band. I think all of them are like that to one degree or another. Never seen a program change its culture and direction faster in my time which goes back 50 years,. Simply amazing.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I apologize to RickStrom for the tone of my recent reply to him. It wasn't what you say to a fellow Tech fan. He was making a valid point about the change in coaching style and I got carried away in reply. I shouldn't have.

I hope Rick can accept my apology. I myself was a Rick Strom fan in his day.

Apology accepted, TakeThePoints. We are both fans of our school and we both want to win and that's all that matters.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
You're generally a "sniper" poster, taking unnecessary shots at our former staff in just about every post. Never mind that you're apparently blaming the old coaching staff for the attitude of some fans (on another site, no less) while pretending that there wasn't a ton of built-in resistance to our old offense. Basically, I'm pretty sure you're just another persona of the "not Tom Collins" troll as you only appeared here after Geoff was hired and made it a point to continually take shots at the old staff right when the tension among fans was at its peak. If these are your real opinions and not just trolling, I'll ask that you please try looking forward instead of backward. We have great things coming, no need to try to divide the fanbase unnecessarily.

I disagree - I've been pretty clear about my respect and appreciation for the prior staff. But they have departed and it's a new staff and I'm happy and support their efforts. Yet this very-clearly triggers some fans of the old staff and that puzzles me. I don't care for Tom Collins - not sure what you're referring to there. Nor have I pretended anything about the old offense. Frankly, you've lost me with this reply. I think you are too eager to defend the old staff from phantom transgression and instead need to appreciate what we have going for us now.

I think you need to let go of the past and support the new coaching staff.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
curry constantly referenced how Dodd averaged 6/7 wins per year over the last majority of his career.

Also, sir, can you please record your face to face when you confront CBK about negatively recruiting against GT? And post it. Thank you.

That is true, but Coach Dodd took his last team to the Orange Bowl and that team finished 9-2 with a top ten ranking. Also, prior to 1964, Tech typically played LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, and UGA. Granted some of those teams, most notably Florida, Auburn, and UGA were not quite the powerhouses then that they are now but let me tell you brother that schedule was harder, much harder than what Curry usually faced with the ACC as the bulk of his opponents.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
If we have a head coach at the helm that doesn’t embody the integrity that has historically been established at Tech, then the program has changed into something I no longer value.

I don’t embrace win at all cost philosophies.

I’ll still send my kids to the school but I won’t be attending any games.

I respect your opinion even as I disagree with it. <tips cap> (y)

(PS - the part that I disagree with is that Coach Key doesn't embody your philosophy)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
High character, great student, great work ethic, respectful, Respected by his peers and his coaches, articulate... Oh and did I mention an all American level football player. Yep, that’s the end-all be-all for me if one exists.

People have questioned why did Parker leave? I do not claim to have any insider knowledge but after watching his interviews over the past few years I have come to realize this is a young man that very much reflects the imagery in Thoreau's idiom:

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away". Parker is hearing a different drum. I read somewhere he may aspire to be a teacher. That would explain his motives to a small degree but he is still a Tech man in every sense of the word.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Takethepoint you confuse me. You seem to be mostly positive about the new staff but at the same time taking an approach that we need to realize who we are and settle for that? Why shouldn’t we strive to be the best in everything we do? It won’t happen overnight and we may never get there but one thing I know from experience is that if you put limits on yourself that’s all you will ever achieve.
The way I look at this is actually pretty simple. There are limited resources that any school Tech's size and with Tech's alum base can muster. Those resources have to be focused like a laser beam on what their most efficient use is in order to get optimum results. That, in turn, means recognizing inherent limits in our situation and the likelihood that they will change. Tech will not reduce its admission requirements; indeed, they are more likely to become more stringent then either stay stagnant or be stretched for the football program. The curriculum of the school will not change appreciably; neither the Hill or the BoR have any incentive for that to happen. (And we ought to be glad of that; Tech is a major generator of economic growth in Georgia and needs to stay that way.) Consequently, we have to pour resources into our recruiting to identify athletes that want to come to Tech and can get in. That will take a massive investment, given that our opponents will be doing the same thing and already have a lead.

And, note, these limits are imposed on Tech from the outside, either directly (the BoR) or indirectly (from expectations about the school from those who will hire its students). If we work at it some of the impact of these restrictions - and that's what they are - can be alleviated. The one thing I am sure of is that they cannot be overcome; our athletic programs have been struggling, often successfully, sometimes not, against them ever since I became a Tech fan. Every football coach we have had in my lifetime has complained about it. Thinking that we haven't got limits because we can have high expectations - several here have said just that - is unrealistic and sure to lead to both disappointment and demoralization.

We've won before within these limits and can do just as well or better in the future. What I hear now, however, is that Tech can become "part of the national conversation" which I interpret as a call for us to contend for the MNC regularly. I don't think Tech can do it. It really is just that simple. We can do 1990 every now and again. We can do 2014 more regularly. What we need to do is realize what we can expect of Coach and quit the wishful thinking. We have a good football program at Tech. To make it better all we have to do is give Coach the resources to do it.

If you find flaws in this analysis, have at it.

NB RickStrom: Now perhaps you can understand why I called Key a blowhard. That characterization is something I won't apologize for.

Milwaukee

Banned
The way I look at this is actually pretty simple. There are limited resources that any school Tech's size and with Tech's alum base can muster. Those resources have to be focused like a laser beam on what their most efficient use is in order to get optimum results. That, in turn, means recognizing inherent limits in our situation and the likelihood that they will change. Tech will not reduce its admission requirements; indeed, they are more likely to become more stringent then either stay stagnant or be stretched for the football program. The curriculum of the school will not change appreciably; neither the Hill or the BoR have any incentive for that to happen. (And we ought to be glad of that; Tech is a major generator of economic growth in Georgia and needs to stay that way.) Consequently, we have to pour resources into our recruiting to identify athletes that want to come to Tech and can get in. That will take a massive investment, given that our opponents will be doing the same thing and already have a lead.

And, note, these limits are imposed on Tech from the outside, either directly (the BoR) or indirectly (from expectations about the school from those who will hire its students). If we work at it some of the impact of these restrictions - and that's what they are - can be alleviated. The one thing I am sure of is that they cannot be overcome; our athletic programs have been struggling, often successfully, sometimes not, against them ever since I became a Tech fan. Every football coach we have had in my lifetime has complained about it. Thinking that we haven't got limits because we can have high expectations - several here have said just that - is unrealistic and sure to lead to both disappointment and demoralization.

We've won before within these limits and can do just as well or better in the future. What I hear now, however, is that Tech can become "part of the national conversation" which I interpret as a call for us to contend for the MNC regularly. I don't think Tech can do it. It really is just that simple. We can do 1990 every now and again. We can do 2014 more regularly. What we need to do is realize what we can expect of Coach and quit the wishful thinking. We have a good football program at Tech. To make it better all we have to do is give Coach the resources to do it.

NB RickStrom: Now perhaps you can understand why I called Key a blowhard. That characterization is something I won't apologize for.

You're exactly the fan that the new staff and AD is targeting and trying to change. I mean down to each syllable even. You've got yourself convinced that we simply are what we are.

Get on board man, you'll enjoy the ride much more.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
You're exactly the fan that the new staff and AD is targeting and trying to change. I mean down to each syllable even. You've got yourself convinced that we simply are what we are.

I agree with this. Where we are today is exactly where takethepoints describes. But that doesn’t mean we can’t change the script. It won’t be easy or quick, but with a plan and execution we can build our brand and program beyond where we have been for the last 50 years. And if we don’t reach the heights of competing for national championships on a regular basis we CAN be more relevant on the national scene than we have been.

Seems to me we have a choice: either go for it or just continue as we have been - which will probably mean going backwards as the rest of the college football world tried to move forward. I’m 61 and tired of seeing is try to do things on a shoestring. I was at Duke for the basketball game and went over to see the improvements they have made to their football stadium and facilities. It was incredible what they have done in the last few years. There is no reason we can’t match Duke in the arms race. But what it takes is a reset of how we think about the program and what our intent is.

That’s why I see a group with enthusiasm and determination who understand that you have to believe it before you can do it where you see blowhards

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yep, Coach Collins is the most media savvy coach in Tech history but Coach Dodd was a pretty close second. He had the Atlanta media eating out of his hand and had a way of making reporters think they were his best friend. And when he wanted to he could charm recruits and their parents into thinking this was the place for their boy. The difference is that Coach Collins has a whole staff of super hyper media stroking dudes that can beat the band. I think all of them are like that to one degree or another. Never seen a program change its culture and direction faster in my time which goes back 50 years,. Simply amazing.

Things were much more personal back in Dodd’s day. Truly a different world from today. I don’t doubt CGC is gonna leverage modern media and social media to the max.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I am not inclined to believe Points but recognize that three, perhaps four years from now there is a very real possibility that this was all smoke and mirrors by a modern day Pepper. Personally, I am thinking that there are enough good players who want what we have to sell in its entirety: the Atlanta experience, the 404 effect, the 40 year plan and all the rest to make this experiment worth while. For the first time, in living memory a football coach has attempted to articulate a vision that is both revolutionary and utterly outrageous in its goal of flipping the long standing tradition of Tech as being staid, not a player, a second or even third choice for high level high school players. Coach Collins is attempting to rebrand Tech so that we can get our share of metro Atlanta players and increase the footprint to reach areas that will produce players in hard to recruit positions. Going to Europe, Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio etc. to get linemen. A Tech football program built on continuous emphasis on recruiting higher level players is something that has not been consistently done in nearly a half century.

It should be noted that the college football landscape is littered with the carcasses of football programs that sought to build programs with glitz and dazzle with an all in approach to recruiting. Florida came to grief a few years ago when Ron Zook took over for the "Head Ball Coach" promising salesmanship and being a "players coach". If nothing else he was entertaining...for a while but losing to Mississippi State and Ole Miss will get you fired in Gator land, recruiting rankings notwithstanding. I write this to caution that the realities of the Institute have not gone away. Coach Collins and TStan should try to change minds on the Hill in lobbying for expanded curriculum, increased resources for recruiting and anything else they can think of. In the meantime, we have made a good start and now let's see if our coaching staff can develop and encourage players to get better between now and August.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I respect your opinion even as I disagree with it. <tips cap> (y)

(PS - the part that I disagree with is that Coach Key doesn't embody your philosophy)

I respect your opinion about him as well. I don’t find it unreasonable, I just differ with you on him.

By no means do I think everyone or even anyone should agree with my opinions on anything. Some here seem to think we should agree on everything. That has been my biggest bone of contention with you and a few others. No hard feelings though.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
People have questioned why did Parker leave? I do not claim to have any insider knowledge but after watching his interviews over the past few years I have come to realize this is a young man that very much reflects the imagery in Thoreau's idiom:

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away". Parker is hearing a different drum. I read somewhere he may aspire to be a teacher. That would explain his motives to a small degree but he is still a Tech man in every sense of the word.

I had a pretty strong notion he was a unique dude pretty early on. Even just from simple things like taking that bite out of that apple when he was put up on the Jumbotron when starters pregame were announced.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

If it comes to pass he will cheer as hard as anyone. But exceeding his expectations and competing for a natty every single year would put us where Bama is. Few in the world see that as realistic. But I’m happy for you to enjoy that ride of thought as long as you can.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Things were much more personal back in Dodd’s day. Truly a different world from today. I don’t doubt CGC is gonna leverage modern media and social media to the max.

Have any of you seen the bill boards with the pictures of our recruits scattered around Atlanta? There is no trick, no stone unturned, that this guy will not try. I have never seen a coach put recruits on billboards around Atlanta. Yates says he is "hometown hero". Sounds good to me let the "404 effect" get rolling.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If it comes to pass he will cheer as hard as anyone. But exceeding his expectations and competing for a natty every single year would put us where Bama is. Few in the world see that as realistic. But I’m happy for you to enjoy that ride of thought as long as you can.

Others may differ but I do not want the Institute to become another football factory like the Capstone. I just want us to play better ball, and get quality players with character and heart who want what we have to offer. If they think they are "too cool for school" well, Bama is due west on I -20 and Clemson is right up the road on I -85.

Milwaukee

Banned

I don't think anyone has the thought of competing for a natty every single year. These assumptive knee-jerk posts are why people are arguing with you in every single thread. I'm not going to get sucked into that with you. Or did I just get sucked into it...? Damnit I got fooled by the trickery.

Milwaukee

Banned
Others may differ but I do not want the Institute to become another football factory like the Capstone. I just want us to play better ball, and get quality players with character and heart who want what we have to offer. If they think they are "too cool for school" well, Bama is due west on I -20 and Clemson is right up the road on I -85.

Yes, most others differ. And that's okay. Being great at both football and academics is almost what you're pulling against but you don't hear yourselves.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't think anyone has the thought of competing for a natty every single year. These assumptive knee-jerk posts are why people are arguing with you in every single thread. I'm not going to get sucked into that with you. Or did I just get sucked into it...? Damnit I got fooled by the trickery.

Well then I think we disagree with what level he was pointing to. My take on what he was citing was the highs of the last 11 years without the lows of the 3, 5, 7 win seasons.

Yep...his actual words were “which I interpret as a call for us to contend for the MNC regularly. I don't think Tech can do it.“

So...which one of us had the assumptive knee jerk post??? (n)