CBK press conference (synopsis)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Lol. I’ll most likely find other interests.
Then I need to rethink what I said about you being a great Tech fan. Your hatred for CBK is too great. Seek help, I still like you and hope we can meet next year at a game I'm in section 102 and if you didn't move I think you said you are in 101. I will not bring up the subject again about CBK I see you will not change.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, he would have to sound like that if he wants to do well, wouldn't he? I don't know if he thinks we can do better then VT - they had 7 4 star recruits this year, remember, something we haven't done since 2007 - and I'm sure he'd like to. That's why I said what I did about getting to parity or better with VT.

As to what Tech is capable of, I don't think either Key or anyone else - except maybe Coach and TStan - knows. He went to Tech, but that was a much different school and I don't know if he has actually looked at the entrance requirements, the curriculum limits, the exceptions allowed, or the resources available in a systematic way.

There's a quote from Thucydides that's apropos here - I have it on my "slogan board" - and that we would all do well to keep in mind:

"Their judgment was based more on wishful thinking than on a sound calculation of chances; for the usual thing among men is that when they want something they will, without any reflection, leave that to hope, while they will employ the full force of reason in rejecting what they find unpalatable."

2500 years old and still sound advice.

That Apropos guy has a name ending in “pos” for a reason! He once recruited a guy for a school that wasn’t GT.

Scumbag.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So what’s your evidence and basis of “lacks character and integrity”?

I fear that if we go back down this particular rabbit hole, we are heading for another locked thread. lol. Bottom line is, he believes a rumor, which the vast majority of us either don't believe is true or don't believe is remotely relevant even if it is. He has staked out his position and is holding to it, and it is what it is. I'd rather keep talking about CBK's fired up press conference and the offers he is putting out there. I'm in too good a mood to argue with other Tech fans.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well he declined to respond to email and he hasn’t denied he did so in that presser so what would be the point now?

There is little arguing he did it now. He isn’t gonna apologize for doing it or explain it beyond “recruiting is war.” That’s garbage imo and I’m likewise not going to change my take on things either.

Win with class.....not at all costs. He needs to bring in 5 star recruits now or he’s simply full of hot air....and juice.
yoo
So what’s your evidence and basis of “lacks character and integrity”?

I agree, Whiskey's rant is becoming borderline psychotic. Where is the proof? I'm sure every coach received emails from fans, alumni that aren't worth a response and they sure don't waste their time on them. I would be happy if we bring in 3-4 4* OL every year. My proof is not in *ratings, but how many are All-ACC and are on an NFL roster.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So he did not respond to an email from you? Shocking. He was probably doing something like visiting recruits, helping plan spring practice, working with our players here now, etc.

He hadn’t denied what in the presser? Could you, or anyone, pull up the portion of the presser where he was asked about your hurt?

And I seem to remember, please correct me if wrong, that you stated at Fan Day you would ask him face to face about his recruiting against, in your mind, GT. Or was it at the bowl game? Regardless, could you please record it and post it here?

Part of the point is you still bring it up in a disparaging way that attacks a GT letterman and graduate.

Speaking for myself, I will gladly welcome CBK’s 4 & 5* recruits to Ga Tech.

Look forward to your vid asking him to his face. Thank you, sir.

Now you are being juvenile. I previously said I’d email him or ask him directly if I happened to bump into him face to face. Whichever came first. It took a few days after his hire for his email to get established. My first few attempts didn’t go through. Eventually it did.

He had no obligation to respond and he didn’t. That’s his prerogative. But his non response is all I need. What point is there in pursuing it further with him except to harass him?

The OP first posited it looked like “someone” asked him this question. I agree that is what it looks like. If the video comes out and shows otherwise then that will then be apparent.

Stating an action of an individual that appears to have actually occurred is stating a fact. This appears to now be a fact. So it’s not disparaging but an account of an event that actually did occur.

You are free to take no umbrage with it just as I’m free to feel otherwise. Is that really too hard for you to deal with?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Stating an action of an individual that appears to have actually occurred is stating a fact. This appears to now be a fact. So it’s not disparaging but an account of an event that actually did occur.
It's a completely UNCORROBORATED rumor that you are reading as the worst case scenario of what was rumored. You ignore the completely logical potential explanations of what it might have been in favor of your assumption of what it was. Calling it a "fact" doesn't change the fact that you actually have NO IDEA what occurred. As I said before, you're in Hatfield-McCoy territory here. It's unbelievable that you aren't even willing to give the slightest benefit of the doubt to an alum who left a freaking dynasty to come over in pretty much a lateral move shows just how irrational you're being about this. Like others, I'm done engaging you on the topic of Brent Key.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Then I need to rethink what I said about you being a great Tech fan. Your hatred for CBK is too great. Seek help, I still like you and hope we can meet next year at a game I'm in section 102 and if you didn't move I think you said you are in 101. I will not bring up the subject again about CBK I see you will not change.

I honestly don’t care if others think I’m a great fan or a terrible one. I don’t seek validation from strangers.

As for CBK I don’t hate the guy at all. Injust don’t think he has displayed the level of character I expect from representatives of the institute. It’s not a matter of hate at all, just a dislike and a feeling that he doesn’t deserve this second chance at Tech. The powers that be feel otherwise.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's a completely UNCORROBORATED rumor that you are reading as the worst case scenario of what was rumored. You ignore the completely logical potential explanations of what it might have been in favor of your assumption of what it was. Calling it a "fact" doesn't change the fact that you actually have NO IDEA what occurred. As I said before, you're in Hatfield-McCoy territory here. It's unbelievable that you aren't even willing to give the slightest benefit of the doubt to an alum who left a freaking dynasty to come over in pretty much a lateral move shows just how irrational you're being about this. Like others, I'm done engaging you on the topic of Brent Key.

It seems pretty certain to have occurred to me. But I don’t take umbrage if you feel otherwise.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
So 7 pages in, let me try to understand what's going on.
There's a Fox 5 clip out there with Key responding (barking) to some question that a reporter asked him about his past recruiting practices and that triggered Key? Do I have that right?

Based on the clip I saw (note, we don't have full context), I didn't like what I saw... some might say that energy... I saw it as, "Oh geesh, another coach who doesn't have temperament... Mike Gundy 2.0".

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, he would have to sound like that if he wants to do well, wouldn't he? I don't know if he thinks we can do better then VT - they had 7 4 star recruits this year, remember, something we haven't done since 2007 - and I'm sure he'd like to. That's why I said what I did about getting to parity or better with VT.

As to what Tech is capable of, I don't think either Key or anyone else - except maybe Coach and TStan - knows. He went to Tech, but that was a much different school and I don't know if he has actually looked at the entrance requirements, the curriculum limits, the exceptions allowed, or the resources available in a systematic way.

There's a quote from Thucydides that's apropos here - I have it on my "slogan board" - and that we would all do well to keep in mind:

"Their judgment was based more on wishful thinking than on a sound calculation of chances; for the usual thing among men is that when they want something they will, without any reflection, leave that to hope, while they will employ the full force of reason in rejecting what they find unpalatable."

2500 years old and still sound advice.
I need a synopsis for that quote. ;)

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
There's a Fox 5 clip out there with Key responding (barking) to some question that a reporter asked him about his past recruiting practices and that triggered Key? Do I have that right?

Based on the clip I saw (note, we don't have full context), I didn't like what I saw... some might say that energy... I saw it as, "Oh geesh, another coach who doesn't have temperament... Mike Gundy 2.0".
I didn't see it as Key being "triggered" and losing control of his emotions as much as he's fired up to talk about what we have to offer (by way of taking a shot at Bama, which I FREAKING LOVED). He's very obviously passionate about his job here, and is just trying to extend that passion to the fans and recruits. I don't know how you can watch that clip as a GT fan and not get fired up.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer

I thought "Hell yeah, we have an energetic coach with a few National Championships under his belt and he is PASSIONATE about Georgia Tech." That's what I thought and so did the majority of the people who also saw it.

The one thing I can't stand about GT fans (not saying it's how you are), but for some reason there's a thick layer of pretentiousness surrounding us. People need to just relax and let this all play out and enjoy it because those who are bitchin about it now, are gonna be the first ones to scream and shout when we reach glory again and claim they supported CBK or whoever, this entire time.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I didn't see it as Key being "triggered" and losing control of his emotions as much as he's fired up to talk about what we have to offer (by way of taking a shot at Bama, which I FREAKING LOVED). He's very obviously passionate about his job here, and is just trying to extend that passion to the fans and recruits. I don't know how you can watch that clip as a GT fan and not get fired up.

EXACTLY. For God sake the man looked dead into the crowd and said "HELL, I BLED ON THAT FIELD, ITS SACRED TO US."

If that doesnt give you chills, check your freaking pulse!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought "Hell yeah, we have an energetic coach with a few National Championships under his belt and he is PASSIONATE about Georgia Tech." That's what I thought and so did the majority of the people who also saw it.

The one thing I can't stand about GT fans (not saying it's how you are), but for some reason there's a thick layer of pretentiousness surrounding us. People need to just relax and let this all play out and enjoy it because those who are bitchin about it now, are gonna be the first ones to scream and shout when we reach glory again and claim they supported CBK or whoever, this entire time.

I read some of the comments on here and just shake my head. It's why some of us have to say "GT can't have nice things."

The reality is, a lot of GT problems is stuff we bring on ourselves. Think about it: Pulling out of the SEC that cost us untold MILLIONS over the years, giving coaches stupid contracts, making stupid deals like Russell, and then our fans...books can be written about how our own fans eat each other alive.

Now we have a coach that checks all the boxes in terms of putting GT in the minds of recruits, non-GT fans, and the media and IT"S WORKING!!! Still we have fans that b$tch and moan for some stupid reason...and the coach still hasn't even played one down. Can we not appreciate nice things when we have it?

Last edited:

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
Well he declined to respond to email and he hasn’t denied he did so in that presser so what would be the point now?

There is little arguing he did it now. He isn’t gonna apologize for doing it or explain it beyond “recruiting is war.” That’s garbage imo and I’m likewise not going to change my take on things either.

Win with class.....not at all costs. He needs to bring in 5 star recruits now or he’s simply full of hot air....and juice.
Wanna know how I know you didn't listen to the full context of the Q & A?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
He's not wrong in that he personally hasn't recruited against Tech in awhile. And it would not surprise me if he had in the past. Hell you can almost negative recruit tech as an alum just by telling the truth.

He does seem to care a lot so I'll give him a pass. If they get what they want. If they can somehow be better salesman and convince 4 and 5 star bluechippers that the challenge is worth it. I will be extremely happy. That is what it takes to win Nattys not any particular offensive or defensive scheme. There are what 70+ teams that run the same offense clemson does. But only one clemson. At least 40 teams try to run the defense bama does. Theres only one bama.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I apologize to RickStrom for the tone of my recent reply to him. It wasn't what you say to a fellow Tech fan. He was making a valid point about the change in coaching style and I got carried away in reply. I shouldn't have.

I hope Rick can accept my apology. I myself was a Rick Strom fan in his day.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I read some of the comments on here and just shake my head. It's why some of us have to say "GT can't have nice things."

The reality is, a lot of GT problems is stuff we bring on ourselves. Think about it: Pulling out of the SEC that cost us untold MILLIONS over the years, giving coaches stupid contracts, making stupid deals like Russell, and then our fans...books can be written about how our own fans eat each other alive.

Now we have a coach that checks all the boxes in terms of putting GT in the minds of recruits, non-GT fans, and the media and IT"S WORKING!!! Still we have fans that b$tch and moan for some stupid reason...and the coach still hasn't even played one down. Can we not appreciate nice things when we have it?

One reason I fell in love with Tech as a kid was for the people that made the program, doing it Dodd’s way. Was leaving the SEC a mistake in retrospect? Imo yes. But doing things with integrity foremost always set Tech apart. I love most of the staff and think they will bring that. One big exception gives me pause and the esteem the head guy seems to hold him in does also. That’s my one and only knock on CGC though. Ditto TStan.