CBK press conference (synopsis)

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Takethepoint you confuse me. You seem to be mostly positive about the new staff but at the same time taking an approach that we need to realize who we are and settle for that? Why shouldn’t we strive to be the best in everything we do? It won’t happen overnight and we may never get there but one thing I know from experience is that if you put limits on yourself that’s all you will ever achieve.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think the full interview has been released yet. I have been looking for it. I am also interested in what Marco Coleman talks about cause if I’m not mistaken he was part of this as well

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if in Geoff's attempt to ingratiate himself with the local media he is waiting on releasing entire pressers. Pressers are where the media gets the bulk of it's material to write about and it's a bit of a spoiler when the entire presser an article is based on comes out prior to the article.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see it as Key being "triggered" and losing control of his emotions as much as he's fired up to talk about what we have to offer (by way of taking a shot at Bama, which I FREAKING LOVED). He's very obviously passionate about his job here, and is just trying to extend that passion to the fans and recruits. I don't know how you can watch that clip as a GT fan and not get fired up.

Key was responding to why he left Alabama for GT. It's in several tweets and in the local paper. Not sure why people are taking issue with how he's responding to his love for GT and why GT deserves every bit of its space alongside the "elite" programs.

Of course, GT can't have nice things, so that's why some fans are even nitpicking a former SA's and current coach's passionate response to why GT is every bit as good as any program out there.

Milwaukee

Banned
I apologize to RickStrom for the tone of my recent reply to him. It wasn't what you say to a fellow Tech fan. He was making a valid point about the change in coaching style and I got carried away in reply. I shouldn't have.

I hope Rick can accept my apology. I myself was a Rick Strom fan in his day.

Real talk right there. Hug it out. Good vibes.

Kudos sir.

Let's not get this thread locked please. I've been watching this interview on a loop every few hours to lift my mood. I enjoy the Ric Flair type posts that come with it. Let's get amped up man, have some damn fun.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Takethepoint you confuse me. You seem to be mostly positive about the new staff but at the same time taking an approach that we need to realize who we are and settle for that? Why shouldn’t we strive to be the best in everything we do? It won’t happen overnight and we may never get there but one thing I know from experience is that if you put limits on yourself that’s all you will ever achieve.

I don't want to answer for Takethepoint, but I think the answer is more in how the opinion is framed than a difference of opinion. There are some that say "expect championships," anything less is accepting failure and mediocrity. There are some that say, "woe is me, we will never compete." I don't abide by either camp. Instead, I am with those that say, "lets aim to be the best we can be but also set realistic goals and expectations based on a reasoned evaluation of the factors at play."

It is those of us in the third camp that I think get frustrated with allegations of "accepting mediocrity." I fully believe that Tech is capable of winning a national championship in football. And I am also 100% confident that CPJ also believed that it was possible for Tech to win a national championship in football. That is a guy who went to multiple national championship games at Ga. Southern and was honestly pretty close to getting Tech to a national championship in 2014. IMHO, anyone who thinks CPJ wasn't striving for or didn't believe a national championship at Tech was possible are way off base and, frankly, demeaning.

Instead, like me, I think CPJ understood the institutional and infrastructural issues at Tech that make winning a national championship more difficult than at other places. Not impossible. Not something that we shouldn't strive for. Just more difficult. The difference between, "if everything comes together, I think we can win a national championship" and "we should expect to win a national championship every year."

The other part of the "reasoned evaluation" viewpoint is that things are always changing. We now seem to have a staff that is inherently better at recruiting. It leaves to be seen if they are as good at coaching, but that changes the analysis. We also seem to be putting together a bigger staff and devoting more resources. Those factors also change the analysis. With these institutional and infrastructural changes, expectations can and should also change.

Personally, I am hopeful that all these changes will elevate the program and, like in 2014, we are in the running competing for a national championship within the next 5 years. Not expecting. But certainly hoping and believing it is possible!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to answer for Takethepoint, but I think the answer is more in how the opinion is framed than a difference of opinion. There are some that say "expect championships," anything less is accepting failure and mediocrity. There are some that say, "woe is me, we will never compete." I don't abide by either camp. Instead, I am with those that say, "lets aim to be the best we can be but also set realistic goals and expectations based on a reasoned evaluation of the factors at play."

It is those of us in the third camp that I think get frustrated with allegations of "accepting mediocrity." I fully believe that Tech is capable of winning a national championship in football. And I am also 100% confident that CPJ also believed that it was possible for Tech to win a national championship in football. That is a guy who went to multiple national championship games at Ga. Southern and was honestly pretty close to getting Tech to a national championship in 2014. IMHO, anyone who thinks CPJ wasn't striving for or didn't believe a national championship at Tech was possible are way off base and, frankly, demeaning.

Instead, like me, I think CPJ understood the institutional and infrastructural issues at Tech that make winning a national championship more difficult than at other places. Not impossible. Not something that we shouldn't strive for. Just more difficult. The difference between, "if everything comes together, I think we can win a national championship" and "we should expect to win a national championship every year."

The other part of the "reasoned evaluation" viewpoint is that things are always changing. We now seem to have a staff that is inherently better at recruiting. It leaves to be seen if they are as good at coaching, but that changes the analysis. We also seem to be putting together a bigger staff and devoting more resources. Those factors also change the analysis. With these institutional and infrastructural changes, expectations can and should also change.

Personally, I am hopeful that all these changes will elevate the program and, like in 2014, we are in the running competing for a national championship within the next 5 years. Not expecting. But certainly hoping and believing it is possible!
Unfortunately it seems like the extreme polarization we've seen growing over the last 10+ years in politics has infected our daily discourse. Middle ground is seen as weakness, nuance is for losers...you're either fully with us or fully against us. I thought we were better than this, but sadly, we're just like everyone else.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
This whole post is bull hockey. Let's go through this one by one:

• There is no such thing as a working football staff that doesn't have a positive outlook on recruiting. Ours did under CPJ; we have exactly the same number of 4 star recruits this year (i.e. 2 and one of those was CPJ's) that we had last year and had almost exactly the same recruiting rank as in 2017, the last time we had 20 scholarships to give. (You can check.) That you never got the message isn't their fault; it seemed to be working for the recruits.
That I and other fans didn't get the message IS their fault. It's also part of the job - to sell the program. That they didn't do as good a job at it IS their fault and not mine.

• It is also true that none of Paul's coaches ever made a video like the one Key did. But that was because Paul wouldn't hire a blowhard, as some of these new kids seem to be. Also, the only explanation (not excuse) I ever heard Paul or his staff make about recruiting limits was that they had been starved for resources for many crucial years while Bobinski was at Tech and that TStan was going to do something about that. That's where the "It is what it is" statement came from, btw.

So it's true that none of PJ's coaches made a video so my "entire post is bull hockey" is a false statement. And congrats for insulting the new staff with your "blowhard" insult. The difference between PJ and Coach Collins is the difference between night & day and hopefully we will never hear the lame excuse of "It Is What It Is" again.

• I never heard Paul say word one about Stanford; that was the fan's idea. As for not beating Duke, I invite you (again) to look at Paul's overall record against them and at the comparative analysis I did on recruiting awhile ago. We've had some recent trouble against them due to one thing only: they had the best QB in the ACC (Better then Lawrence? Yes.) for the last four years and a coach who knew how to use him. It happens.
I pretty clearly stated that the Stanford and Duke debates occurred on another forum so no reason for your quick defense of PJ here. And the idea that Duke's QB is better than Trevor Lawrence (? No) is laughable. No argument on the coach though. Cutcliffe ran circles around PJ and that was part of our downward trend.

Mind, I like the new staff's attitude and I look forward to seeing if it works next year on the field and in our recruiting. And, yes, the results so far are promising. But, really, this continuous juvenile posturing in your posts should end. Now.

You just called certain staff members "blowhards". Strange way of supporting them. My post was not juvenile posturing and your personal insult is both noted and telling, as as the number of people who clicked "Like" on my response.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
That I and other fans didn't get the message IS their fault. It's also part of the job - to sell the program. That they didn't do as good a job at it IS their fault and not mine.

So it's true that none of PJ's coaches made a video so my "entire post is bull hockey" is a false statement. And congrats for insulting the new staff with your "blowhard" insult. The difference between PJ and Coach Collins is the difference between night & day and hopefully we will never hear the lame excuse of "It Is What It Is" again.

I pretty clearly stated that the Stanford and Duke debates occurred on another forum so no reason for your quick defense of PJ here. And the idea that Duke's QB is better than Trevor Lawrence (? No) is laughable. No argument on the coach though. Cutcliffe ran circles around PJ and that was part of our downward trend.

You just called certain staff members "blowhards". Strange way of supporting them. My post was not juvenile posturing and your personal insult is both noted and telling, as as the number of people who clicked "Like" on my response.

Coach Key hasn’t sold me. It’s his fault. :D

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
wow, so the coach is more important than the school for you.

If we have a head coach at the helm that doesn’t embody the integrity that has historically been established at Tech, then the program has changed into something I no longer value.

I don’t embrace win at all cost philosophies.

I’ll still send my kids to the school but I won’t be attending any games.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
"For the most part you are who you think you are!" Ah, if only this were true! I'd like to think I am a wizard with magical powers who's married to … Morgan Fairchild! Yeah, that's the ticket! A real vision of greatness!

Believing that "the pinnacle" (whatever that may be) is attainable has always been part of what we expected at Tech. That you didn't expect it for the last 11 years - and that's been evident in your posts - is part of the reason we didn't reach as high as we could have, despite many successful seasons. (Well … that and some injuries.) But it is early days yet. I hope we continue with the success we had today, but we are about the same place as we were in 2017 in terms of recruiting rank. We have awhile to go and a lot of effort and money to expend to make all that energy you talk about actually work.

I hope it does. If we have an effective recruiting backdrop for the staff, I have no doubt it will. But, as a 72 year old (Jesus, help me) Tech fan, I'd wait for a year or two to feel pretty good.

Hold on Points, "you gotta believe" remember that refrain from the Miracle Mets? Same here, keep the faith and be patient.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well in 2018, Clemson had 6 guys who were 5-stars, 6 guys who were 4-stars and 5 guys who were 3-stars.
2017 was 3, 6, 5.
2016 was 3, 10, 6.
2015 was 3, 9, 10.

That's 15 guys on their roster who are 5-stars and 31 4-stars...just in the last 4 classes.

The average star ranking the last 4 years was: Alabama 3.92, Clemson 3.75...not that different.

Make no mistake, Clemson has always gotten good players but they are getting more of the true difference makers especially on the defensive line, quarterback, and receivers. FSU has a bunch of five stars on their roster, what happens to them I have no idea but they are squandering football talent like there is no tomorrow. Miami, to a lesser degree, has plenty of talent too and you saw what happened to them this year. It is one thing to get and stockpile talent but you still have to develop them and coach them up. Easier to say than do for sure. In FSU's defense, much of their problem comes from offensive line disasters and mistakes which is understandable because that is the single hardest position, or so I have been told, to predict how they will develop as college players. I am encouraged by the energy, excitement, and recruiting chops of Coach Collins and his staff. Good times are coming after a few bumps and detours that is.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

You're generally a "sniper" poster, taking unnecessary shots at our former staff in just about every post. Never mind that you're apparently blaming the old coaching staff for the attitude of some fans (on another site, no less) while pretending that there wasn't a ton of built-in resistance to our old offense. Basically, I'm pretty sure you're just another persona of the "not Tom Collins" troll as you only appeared here after Geoff was hired and made it a point to continually take shots at the old staff right when the tension among fans was at its peak. If these are your real opinions and not just trolling, I'll ask that you please try looking forward instead of backward. We have great things coming, no need to try to divide the fanbase unnecessarily.