CBK press conference (synopsis)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It looks like to me that he says "it's out" when he hands the phone to Marco at the first point you mentioned.

3 times of interest watching Brent Key:

1. 19:00 min mark, he takes out his phone, checks a message, looks frustrated, types something, and shows it to Marco
2. 23:25 min mark; he gives Marco a huge wide eye for saying: "What it takes to survive Georgia Tech" - clearly this is not the messaging the staff is going for
3. 24:15 min mark; he gets frustrated again with Marco and even mouths what appears to be
WTF" to someone in the audience

Marco gunna need to work on his messaging it seems, but I think it's safe to say Key definitely talked to him about it after this presser haha

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
3 times of interest watching Brent Key:

1. 19:00 min mark, he takes out his phone, checks a message, looks frustrated, types something, and shows it to Marco
2. 23:25 min mark; he gives Marco a huge wide eye for saying: "What it takes to survive Georgia Tech" - clearly this is not the messaging the staff is going for
3. 24:15 min mark; he gets frustrated again with Marco and even mouths what appears to be
WTF" to someone in the audience

Marco gunna need to work on his messaging it seems, but I think it's safe to say Key definitely talked to him about it after this presser haha

Point 1 - I have no idea what this is about.
Point 2 - To alums who's been put through the shaft, this is actually a good comment and comes off as a positive thing. I can see how this would be a no-no from the brand CGC is trying to build, the reason why Keys removed the "I got out in 2001" note from his Twitter page.
Point 3 - ?? Something's wrong with the George O'Leary drill?

Are we trying to paint a picture to all the high school kids that coming to Tech is going to be nothing but rosey?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It looks like to me that he says "it's out" when he hands the phone to Marco at the first point you mentioned.

Even Key did not know at the beginning about this "change of message". The first day on his twitter, after he changed his page to him as a GT coach, it said "got out in" whatever year he graduated. That was changed less than 24 hours later. When you go through the shaft that is GT (or at least was GT), it is hard to stop talking like that. I am going to try my best.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think there has been a culture change at GT generally. It used to be easier to Get In, that's one reason why we took pride in Getting Out. Retention seems to be a higher priority now and getting in is harder.

GRGT96

Georgia Tech Fan
I think there has been a culture change at GT generally. It used to be easier to Get In, that's one reason why we took pride in Getting Out. Retention seems to be a higher priority now and getting in is harder.

From CollegeFactual.com: Georgia Tech Has One of the Best Freshman Retention Rates in the Country. With 97.0% of students staying on for a second year, Georgia Institute of Technology - Main Campus is one of the best in the country when it comes to freshman retention. Nationwide, the average first year to second year retention rate is 72.0%.

Long gone is the "look to your right, look to your left" speech.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

We used to take the SAT on Saturday mornings, without prep courses, after Friday night away games and getting back late and after the post-game parties... Now I know why my scores were so bad...

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
SmartSelect_20190208-155001_YouTube[1].gif

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just watched the Key and Coleman presser on YouTube. That actually got me excited about this staff. These guys are passionate about GT. Marco was one of my favorite players. I liked the way our former players are being asked to come back into the fold. I never understood how former letterman were not more involved. I am very excited to see that happen.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I never understood how former letterman were not more involved. I am very excited to see that happen.
I found it interesting how CBK worded everything when he was talking about it. There seemed to be some major issue(s) at Tech that was deterring former players from coming back. Don't know if it was at the coaching level or administrative level. IIRC Pastner (or maybe it was Gregory) made a big deal of trying to bring former players back as well. This leads me to believe it was more an administrative issue which I am sure ADTS will work to change the barriers. It is still up to the programs to get the word out that the "culture" has changed like CGC and staff are trying to do.

I found it interesting how CBK worded everything when he was talking about it. There seemed to be some major issue(s) at Tech that was deterring former players from coming back. Don't know if it was at the coaching level or administrative level. IIRC Pastner (or maybe it was Gregory) made a big deal of trying to bring former players back as well. This leads me to believe it was more an administrative issue which I am sure ADTS will work to change the barriers. It is still up to the programs to get the word out that the "culture" has changed like CGC and staff are trying to do.
There were a good many former football lettermen who came back while Johnson was coach. Hopefully those same ones will keep coming back and be joined by others.