CBK press conference (synopsis)

crut

Helluva Engineer
3 times of interest watching Brent Key:

1. 19:00 min mark, he takes out his phone, checks a message, looks frustrated, types something, and shows it to Marco
2. 23:25 min mark; he gives Marco a huge wide eye for saying: "What it takes to survive Georgia Tech" - clearly this is not the messaging the staff is going for
3. 24:15 min mark; he gets frustrated again with Marco and even mouths what appears to be
WTF" to someone in the audience

Marco gunna need to work on his messaging it seems, but I think it's safe to say Key definitely talked to him about it after this presser haha

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You're exactly the fan that the new staff and AD is targeting and trying to change. I mean down to each syllable even. You've got yourself convinced that we simply are what we are.

Get on board man, you'll enjoy the ride much more.
I hate to say this. I really do. But you are the kind of fan that the new staff and AD are most afraid of: the fan who thinks that the basic direction of the institute will change because we want to be better at football. It won't. I'll say it again. It won't. If Bobby Dodd couldn't change it, I can guarantee you that Coach and TStan can't either. And because of that, when it becomes evident that our limitations remain, you will be upset that they do, despite the inability of anyone in the athletic program to do anything about it.

That doesn't mean that we can't do well in football. Shoot, we starved the program for resources while our opponents spent like drunken sailors in Macao and still did very well. I remind you that we had three losing seasons in the last 11 years, went to the Orange Bowl twice, and had 4 seasons with 9 wins or better. With more resources for recruiting we can do as well or better going forward. But let's remember where we are coming from and where we can reasonably expect to go. That'll make the next few years a lot easier to navigate.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

1. 19:00 min mark, he takes out his phone, checks a message, looks frustrated, types something, and shows it to Marco
2. 23:25 min mark; he gives Marco a huge wide eye for saying: "What it takes to survive Georgia Tech" - clearly this is not the messaging the staff is going for
3. 24:15 min mark; he gets frustrated again with Marco and even mouths what appears to be

Marco gunna need to work on his messaging it seems, but I think it's safe to say Key definitely talked to him about it after this presser haha

Finally got a chance to watch the whole thing. Those are three great moments you pointed out. Quite interesting.

Milwaukee

Banned
I hate to say this. I really do. But you are the kind of fan that the new staff and AD are most afraid of: the fan who thinks that the basic direction of the institute will change because we want to be better at football. It won't. I'll say it again. It won't. If Bobby Dodd couldn't change it, I can guarantee you that Coach and TStan can't either. And because of that, when it becomes evident that our limitations remain, you will be upset that they do, despite the inability of anyone in the athletic program to do anything about it.

That doesn't mean that we can't do well in football. Shoot, we starved the program for resources while our opponents spent like drunken sailors in Macao and still did very well. I remind you that we had three losing seasons in the last 11 years, went to the Orange Bowl twice, and had 4 seasons with 9 wins or better. With more resources for recruiting we can do as well or better going forward. But let's remember where we are coming from and where we can reasonably expect to go. That'll make the next few years a lot easier to navigate.

This makes absolutely no sense. And that's okay.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
This man really doesn’t understand Key was doing what was best for whoever his current employer was at the time. The man wasn’t getting paid to recruit for Georgia Tech. He was doing his job. If someone wants to pay me as much as they get paid I’ll say negative things about GT too.
Sorry, not me.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

Finally had a chance to listen. I do think your #2 point is right on! They know that it is work to be at Tech and deal with playing football at the highest level as well as handling academics at the highest level, but "surviving" is not the message to send to recruits.

On point 3 however, I was trying to figure out why he would say WTF so I kept listening to it and believe that he is actually saying "it wasn't fun" with a smirk after, which makes more sense based on the context of what Marco was saying about the "O'Leary drill".

Also, I really want to know what that text is about!!!!

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry, not me.
I say "negative" things about Tech as a school all the time, even when I am talking to friends/coworkers about why their kids should look at Tech to go to school. It was a lot of hard work and it pushed me more than I have ever been pushed in my life (before or after)!!! That is also what makes it so special to me, because it made me better as a person! I am guessing that IF the rumors of CBK are true when he was at UCF it was probably that it was a tough place and a lot of work but just left out that it will make them a better man for it. Even Marco said something similar, as crut pointed out, about "surviving" at Tech.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Finally had a chance to listen. I do think your #2 point is right on! They know that it is work to be at Tech and deal with playing football at the highest level as well as handling academics at the highest level, but "surviving" is not the message to send to recruits.

On point 3 however, I was trying to figure out why he would say WTF so I kept listening to it and believe that he is actually saying "it wasn't fun" with a smirk after, which makes more sense based on the context of what Marco was saying about the "O'Leary drill".

Also, I really want to know what that text is about!!!!

I think you are correct that he mouthed “it wasn’t fun.” Hard to say for certain but I think you are correct.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Did u see how I snuck the qb situation into the rb thread?
First listed seniority of skill guys and comment on youth. Then comment on qb..
Spring game going to be meaningful!

Spring game itself won’t be particularly meaningful imo but it will be very insightful and entertaining to the fanbase. Spring practice leading up to the spring game will be incredibly important.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Spring game itself won’t be particularly meaningful imo but it will be very insightful and entertaining to the fanbase. Spring practice leading up to the spring game will be incredibly important.

Agreed, 15 practices with the additional burden of trying to "reset" the roster somewhat. (moving guys around to new positions)