CBK press conference (synopsis)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This man really doesn’t understand Key was doing what was best for whoever his current employer was at the time. The man wasn’t getting paid to recruit for Georgia Tech. He was doing his job. If someone wants to pay me as much as they get paid I’ll say negative things about GT too.

And that’s well within your right. But if you tar and feather a former employer after leaving...don’t expect to be welcomed back with open arms later.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Agree nothing was wrong internally, past coaches and players represented Tech well. I think by change in culture the new staff is referring to how Tech is viewed outside the program by the city, media, HS coaches and players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be changing perception. Influencing the external views of the internal. Changing culture is influencing the internal.

Every staff has a different “culture”. So every staff should strive to change the culture of the program to reflect the new staff. That I don’t take issue with. I dont take issue with a new staff stating desires to reach new heights. That’s what they were hired to do. Just don’t imply things were garbage before you got there.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Parker Braun epitomized everything I consider right with Georgia Tech football. He’s gone by his own choice. For some reason he didn’t want to stick around. I sure hope the Parker Braun mold is not something we are going away from.
Many people on here keep talking as if they knew Parker left because he didn't like the new staff. However it has been said by him and his dad that they really liked the staff but the decision to transfer was a business decision. I understand that they are likely to say that regardless but there have also been a few comments on here from people that know the family that have said the same thing. There is a good chance he was going to leave even if CPJ didn't retire. It sounds like he wants to position himself to be more desirable to NFL scouts. He was not going to do that in CPJs offense and he is better off not doing that in an offense that is in transition. IF that is the case, then it doesn't matter how good the staff is they would not be able to keep him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Many people on here keep talking as if they knew Parker left because he didn't like the new staff. However it has been said by him and his dad that they really liked the staff but the decision to transfer was a business decision. I understand that they are likely to say that regardless but there have also been a few comments on here from people that know the family that have said the same thing. There is a good chance he was going to leave even if CPJ didn't retire. It sounds like he wants to position himself to be more desirable to NFL scouts. He was not going to do that in CPJs offense and he is better off not doing that in an offense that is in transition. IF that is the case, then it doesn't matter how good the staff is they would not be able to keep him.
Didn’t he stick around for a while and went through some workouts with the team and the new S&T Coach? Why would he do that if he was already planning on leaving?

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn’t he stick around for a while and went through some workouts with the team and the new S&T Coach? Why would he do that if he was already planning on leaving?
He announced the transfer only a month after the bowl game. Based on my impression of him he would have put everything he had into his team until they were done playing. After the bowl game he could have been gauging interest from other schools and seeing what his prospects are like. I don't see him (or his dad who is heavily involved) taking a transfer decision lightly without weighing all the options which takes time. And of course he went through the workouts cause he needs to keep up his S&C.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Enlighten me.
In short. Culture is what you do and how you do it. It’s the shared approach within the organization and is often what outsiders perceive. Saying we had a good culture because everyone in the locker room was together and wanted to win is fine. But what that leaves out is the way they went about it.

This staff has a different energy and style than the last and that’s what they are trying to impart. That doesn’t mean the last was wrong just different. Demonstrating that difference isn’t a knock on the former staff it’s just that exaggeration is a way to crystallize the changes they are looking for. Happens all the time in business as well as sports.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Now sure why we have to defend CPJ or CGC ,
And that’s well within your right. But if you tar and feather a former employer after leaving...don’t expect to be welcomed back with open arms later.
I know you love Tech and are a great fan and season ticket holder, but you really sound like my wife that can't forgive someone who did something you don't like. Sometimes you have to forgive people , I like CPJ and still do but in the end I love Tech football more and any individual person or coach. CPJ and CGC have different styles that doesn't make one any better than the other. As far as CBK I like the hire and think he will give 100% to Tech as long as he is here and that is all I could ask of him. How long will he stay at Tech , I have no idea but I'm sure his goal is not be retire as an OL coach and if someone gives him the opportunity to be a head coach he would take it.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe he’s talking about the way the culture was perceived outside the locker room. I could be wrong, that’s my two cents.

From my personal perception, the culture had gotten stale. I’m sure I’m not alone in that regard. It’s refreshing to hear, even if there was nothing wrong with the previous culture.

All this dancing-around is humorous. Do we all have short-term memory loss? Part of the 'culture' of the last staff was one of "It Is What It Is". A culture that absolutely did NOT have the positive outlook on recruiting that this staff does and if it did, it never projected it. A culture that never ever made a video like this. A culture whose fans made excuses as to why we couldn't recruit nor compete at levels this staff thinks we can. At another forum, the "We can't be Stanford" debate was endless, as was the reasoning for why we couldn't beat Duke anymore.

This new staff's attitude is very refreshing and their results so-far are promising.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Now sure why we have to defend CPJ or CGC ,

I know you love Tech and are a great fan and season ticket holder, but you really sound like my wife that can't forgive someone who did something you don't like. Sometimes you have to forgive people , I like CPJ and still do but in the end I love Tech football more and any individual person or coach. CPJ and CGC have different styles that doesn't make one any better than the other. As far as CBK I like the hire and think he will give 100% to Tech as long as he is here and that is all I could ask of him. How long will he stay at Tech , I have no idea but I'm sure his goal is not be retire as an OL coach and if someone gives him the opportunity to be a head coach he would take it.

I wonder how long are fans going to have to put "I like CPJ" disclaimers in front of everything so as not to offend a small group of fans? CPJ had some amazing games and seasons for us and was paid handsomely and fairly for it. His early-retirement was a classy way to go that benefited us greatly. He ran a clean program and graduated many great kids. But you said it best: "CPJ and CGC have different styles that doesn't make one any better than the other. "

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was critical of the Key hire for the same reason as whiskey. But, I’m willing to let that slide in the spirit of all is fair in love and recruiting. (After all, he did say recruiting is war.) That said, he still has a lot to prove to me when we start playing real football games.

As for the video, there’s a lot to like about it. I like the passion, I like the energy, I like the vision and the desire to change the national perception of Georgia Tech football. The only thing that leaves me shaking my head is the comment about changing the culture. There was nothing wrong with the previous culture in the locker room in my opinion. Nobody was happy with losing football games least of all Coach Johnson.

I echo all of these comments, DCS. When I heard the "culture" comment, I assumed it was more of the "cultural perception" outside of GT about GT. I did not take it as him saying the previous staff had created a "loser" or "we can't do that" mentality. I could be wrong, though.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
No matter what your past feelings are or where your coaching allegiance lays, how can this presser not get you excited about GT football ???
Well yesterday when my wife said it was time to go to lunch and I told her let me watch this one more time.

th

I didn't think it was a good idea to watch it again and get excited . But I did watch it again this morning while she was still asleep. :)