CBK press conference (synopsis)

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the type of energy and belief you need to reach the full potential of any program. I've been saying that part of our issue as a program is the perception our own leaders have had of who we are and that has filtered down through the fan base and has contaminated us from top to bottom. We didn't believe we could recruit with the big boys and thus we didn't. It was nothing more than a self fulfilling prophecy. For the most part you are who you think you are! This program has leadership with a vision for greatness. They believe the pinnacle is attainable and that is so refreshing after nearly 2 decades of excuses why we can't reach for the heights of the sport and our leadership viewing us as a "6 win program." The difference could not be more clear and the results are already being seen on the recruiting trail and the energy around the program. While there is no guarantee this will lead to more W's, for the first time since O'Leary left I feel we are trying to compete at the highest level of the sport. And for this 40 year old tech fan, it feels pretty good.

Preach!! Imagine CGC saying something like we have historically been a 6 win program so you should be ok with mediocre results. That's not gonna happen with this staff.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Assuming this is TIC? 5 stars are hard to come by. If we got 1 a year we'd be recruiting in the top 15. Really good programs like Auburn, and Ohio State got 1 a piece, ND and Penn state got none. I'd be happy if we just started getting 6-8 4 stars and the rest 3. That would put us in the top 30 every year and we should be near the top of the ACC regularly with a good total program. 6-8 4 stars is doable I think. We landed 3-4 a year a couple of times with CPJ, so it isn't too crazy to think we could up that by 3-4 a year.
VT got seven 4 stars this year and last. This was their best recruiting performance in years. If we can get four 4 stars a year consistently - what VT usually gets - I'd be very encouraged. Ceteris paribus, that would get us to a good position in the coastal pretty quick. I'd be very surprised - hope I am - if we get 5 -6 4 star athletes to come to Tech in a great year; we had 6 in 2007 and did pretty well with that. Let's not set the bar so high that Coach and co. can't get over it.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
VT got seven 4 stars this year and last. This was their best recruiting performance in years. If we can get four 4 stars a year consistently - what VT usually gets - I'd be very encouraged. Ceteris paribus, that would get us to a good position in the coastal pretty quick. I'd be very surprised - hope I am - if we get 5 -6 4 star athletes to come to Tech in a great year; we had 6 in 2007 and did pretty well with that. Let's not set the bar so high that Coach and co. can't get over it.
They aren't recruiting like they used to. GT is best state for blue chippers per capita. We can out recruit VT.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I’m expecting and wanting more than 4 4stars. That’s a bare minimum. GT will and has to do more.
Obviously there is a correlation to recruiting rankings and performance, but Clemson never beats Bama in recruiting. They mostly get 4 and 3 stars, and yet they dominated them on the field. Got to get old, stay old (ie have Juniors and Seniors being playmakers), and develop young guys. Need to recruit 6-8 4 stars and develop guys, and we can compete with anyone. Just my opinion on the whole recruiting thing.

Deleted member 2897

Assuming this is TIC? 5 stars are hard to come by. If we got 1 a year we'd be recruiting in the top 15. Really good programs like Auburn, and Ohio State got 1 a piece, ND and Penn state got none. I'd be happy if we just started getting 6-8 4 stars and the rest 3. That would put us in the top 30 every year and we should be near the top of the ACC regularly with a good total program. 6-8 4 stars is doable I think. We landed 3-4 a year a couple of times with CPJ, so it isn't too crazy to think we could up that by 3-4 a year.

I think this is both a realistic expectation and not one that is settling.

Fact: There are ONLY FIVE schools who had fewer recruits than Georgia Tech but finished with a higher ranking. We're just not one of those places that takes 25+ guys (there are 17 schools this year who had class sizes of 25 or greater).

The school ranked #23 in the nation in recruiting this year has 6 4-stars, 14 3-stars, and 1 2-star. Its tough sledding to much up very much from that, but 6-8 4-stars will get you just over #20. Anywhere around there for a couple years and we're stacking major talent and depth.

Deleted member 2897

Obviously there is a correlation to recruiting rankings and performance, but Clemson never beats Bama in recruiting. They mostly get 4 and 3 stars, and yet they dominated them on the field. Got to get old, stay old (ie have Juniors and Seniors being playmakers), and develop young guys. Need to recruit 6-8 4 stars and develop guys, and we can compete with anyone. Just my opinion on the whole recruiting thing.

Well in 2018, Clemson had 6 guys who were 5-stars, 6 guys who were 4-stars and 5 guys who were 3-stars.
2017 was 3, 6, 5.
2016 was 3, 10, 6.
2015 was 3, 9, 10.

That's 15 guys on their roster who are 5-stars and 31 4-stars...just in the last 4 classes.

The average star ranking the last 4 years was: Alabama 3.92, Clemson 3.75...not that different.

Deleted member 2897

It's not a direct quote from CPJ, but he did bring up our historical average of 6 wins as a defense of his time here at GT.

Right. That's a completely different set of subject matter though. He was doing that to show that he was winning more divisional and conference titles and 8-win seasons than the historical average. He never said what you attributed him to say.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Well in 2018, Clemson had 6 guys who were 5-stars, 6 guys who were 4-stars and 5 guys who were 3-stars.
2017 was 3, 6, 5.
2016 was 3, 10, 6.
2015 was 3, 9, 10.

That's 15 guys on their roster who are 5-stars and 31 4-stars...just in the last 4 classes.

The average star ranking the last 4 years was: Alabama 3.92, Clemson 3.75...not that different.
Yeah not nearly the gap I thought, guess I haven't paid attention much the last couple of years outside of GT. They recruit fewer in number typically so I guess that's why they are usually ranked 8-10 instead of top 3.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Right. That's a completely different set of subject matter though. He was doing that to show that he was winning more divisional and conference titles and 8-win seasons than the historical average. He never said what you attributed him to say.

The difference is CPJ references all of the 6 win seasons. CGC references the 10 win, top 25 seasons. That's the only point I was trying to make, they have different ways of viewing things.

Deleted member 2897

Yeah not nearly the gap I thought, guess I haven't paid attention much the last couple of years outside of GT. They recruit fewer in number typically so I guess that's why they are usually ranked 8-10 instead of top 3.

Yea this year they have 28 guys signed. Totally ridiculous. But look at that 2017 class, LOL. 14!