CBK press conference (synopsis)

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Yea this year they have 28 guys signed. Totally ridiculous. But look at that 2017 class, LOL. 14!
Only 17 last year. Guess they haven't had a lot of attrition? Not sure why these numbers move so much, shouldn't all the schools be in the low 20's consistently? Some more that grey shirt, but I don't understand how you go 14,17,28. Seems like your classes would be inconsistent.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Only 17 last year. Guess they haven't had a lot of attrition? Not sure why these numbers move so much, shouldn't all the schools be in the low 20's consistently? Some more that grey shirt, but I don't understand how you go 14,17,28. Seems like your classes would be inconsistent.

They lost a ton off this years team. They will obviously be good next year but I doubt they are like they were this year.

Deleted member 2897

When they lost to Alabama last year, several guys who were going to the NFL as Juniors got butt hurt and came back for their Senior seasons. I can't imagine giving up many many millions and take a risk of getting hurt, but to each his own. So they had an artificially large amount of people leave this year.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Say what you will about Collins and his social media and marketing, if THAT doesn't get you fired up, nothing will. I'm trying to think of the last great "salesmen" for Georgia Tech. O'Leary had a great staff and knew what it took to win, but did they bring this kind of energy? Not sure. Ross? Again, GREAT staff, but more typical of a Georgia Tech coach, experienced, older, more reserved, likely looking for the next opportunity.

I guess Pepper maybe? He had the 1970s equivalent of social media with his TV show and was a talker. Had a ton of talent on his teams, ELI, Drew Hill, Kent Hill, Don Bessileau, Al Richardson, etc. His presence was tolerated when he was winning and hated when he was losing. But times have changed. Collins is more up beat and social media/marketing savvy than any other coach I can think of.

All things being equal, would you rather go play for Saban or Kirby or Muschamp or Coach O or Collins? Collins all day long. Has the same Dabo feel. Family. Culture change.

Of course, things aren't all equal, but I'm just hoping that Collins and this staff can get them as close to being equal as we've ever had at Tech. The future could be bright. 2019 and 2020 could be tough years with the change in offense and the schedules, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
This is the type of energy and belief you need to reach the full potential of any program. I've been saying that part of our issue as a program is the perception our own leaders have had of who we are and that has filtered down through the fan base and has contaminated us from top to bottom. We didn't believe we could recruit with the big boys and thus we didn't. It was nothing more than a self fulfilling prophecy. For the most part you are who you think you are! This program has leadership with a vision for greatness. They believe the pinnacle is attainable and that is so refreshing after nearly 2 decades of excuses why we can't reach for the heights of the sport and our leadership viewing us as a "6 win program." The difference could not be more clear and the results are already being seen on the recruiting trail and the energy around the program. While there is no guarantee this will lead to more W's, for the first time since O'Leary left I feel we are trying to compete at the highest level of the sport. And for this 40 year old tech fan, it feels pretty good.
Amen brother !!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The difference is CPJ references all of the 6 win seasons. CGC references the 10 win, top 25 seasons. That's the only point I was trying to make, they have different ways of viewing things.
as if CPJ didn't want 10 win, top 25 seasons? He wanted to get those too. If he didn't think those were possible at Tech, he never would have come in the first place.
as for CGC, those levels are still out there. He hasn't reached them. Yet.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is the type of energy and belief you need to reach the full potential of any program. I've been saying that part of our issue as a program is the perception our own leaders have had of who we are and that has filtered down through the fan base and has contaminated us from top to bottom. We didn't believe we could recruit with the big boys and thus we didn't. It was nothing more than a self fulfilling prophecy. For the most part you are who you think you are! This program has leadership with a vision for greatness. They believe the pinnacle is attainable and that is so refreshing after nearly 2 decades of excuses why we can't reach for the heights of the sport and our leadership viewing us as a "6 win program." The difference could not be more clear and the results are already being seen on the recruiting trail and the energy around the program. While there is no guarantee this will lead to more W's, for the first time since O'Leary left I feel we are trying to compete at the highest level of the sport. And for this 40 year old tech fan, it feels pretty good.
I understand your excitement. What I don’t understand is your need to trash the previous staff as well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For CPJ fans like me, remember that he threw shade at CCG and CJT's bowl game.

Key doesn't deny throwing shade at GT in recruiting because it's a war and continues to insult the past staff.

However, he now brings this passion he used against GT FOR GT so let's grit our teeth and support him.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I understand your excitement. What I don’t understand is your need to trash the previous staff as well.

My goal wasn’t meant to diminish or trash the previous staff. The difference is just so stark to me it’s hard for me to believe anyone doesn’t see it and I just take for granted what I say to be fact.

Not looking to argue. A united front is a stronger front.

Go Jackets.