CBG

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I was high on Tadric, having seen him at a high school all star game. But he's shooting less than 15 percent from 3. Jorgenson's shooting percentage also is under 25 percent. MGH will again have to carry too much of the scoring load. And since this staff is about to be swept out the door, the incoming staff won't have a lot of time or prospects left to choose from. A monster class ain't on the way. Our offensive sets are bad, but no one on this team can shoot the basketball. I don't see this getting any better next year. There is no one on that starting five you have to guard more than 15 feet from the basket. And right now, no one on that bench, either.
The team on the floor right now isn't real good - I give them their due, they play their tails off most nights - and it doesn't bode to get any better anytime soon. Just because they'll be older and will have a year under their belts doesn't mean they'll be any more skilled or talented in the next 12 months.

Q is at 34% Bolden at 33%

Imagine if we actually ran something on offense. Imagine if we had a coach that could get our big guys to actually set a quality screen. If you can get those two guys quality open looks with more than .021 seconds left on the shot clock after playing pass back for 99% of the shot clock i think you see those %'s go up 3-7% over the course of the season.

slugboy

Staff member
Disclaimer--far from an expert.
I was watching the GT-UL game. I watched most of it from the tip. In the last five minutes, I saw us set enough of a screen for TJ to get a clear shot--which he deferred to pass it around the 3-pt line where there was another shot passed up to give it to someone else on the 3 pt line, where a shot again wasn't taken and the ball was dribbled in and passed back out and ... eventually someone shot ... I don't remember who ... and short story long, it didn't go in and we lost the rebound.
It looked like we had some opportunities--our players want someone else to take the shot in the last five minutes. It's the guy who gets the ball with 3 seconds left who has to take the shot, like a giant game of hot potato.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
At this point, recruits have noticed that CBG's time in Atlanta is probably limited. They knew CPH was done and stopped signing up to play for him. To keep Gregory could hurt us a lot more than 1 more season of bad basketball. Keeping him very well could hurt us for years if he continues to recruit. I just don't see him replacing the core of this team with equal level players. Things can definitely get worse.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Q is at 34% Bolden at 33%

Imagine if we actually ran something on offense. Imagine if we had a coach that could get our big guys to actually set a quality screen. If you can get those two guys quality open looks with more than .021 seconds left on the shot clock after playing pass back for 99% of the shot clock i think you see those %'s go up 3-7% over the course of the season.

In ACC Games, which are the stats I pay attention to, MGH is shooting 40% from 3, Bolden 36%, Q 35%, Jorgy 33%.
We have shooters. I agree they need to feel more confident to shoot. But I think if you ran a solid offensive system and don't get in the players heads, we have guys that will make shots just fine.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I like CBG, he seems like a great person...he has done a lot of good things for us off the court...but we are a bad program and trending the wrong way...I see no signs of improvement and recruiting is getting worse.

I have no ill will for CBG going forward but I just think he is in over his head at this level.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
The choice is really simple at this point. The ONLY reason people are either on the fence about it or pro CBG, is because of how great of a human being he happens to be. I'm pretty sure all of this losing has been a huge disappointment for him. But he's just in over his head. Pure and simple. Our recruiting has completely dropped off the map already... and unless we keep on extending him a year or 2 at a time, it's gonna continue to get worse. Year 4 and we've seen hardly any improvement as a team, and only 1(Daniel Miller) showed any personal improvements. If we change now... we're in a good position to recruit 1 of these good coaches away from there schools and to ours. We'll have a close to full teams worth of recruiting space and it's in ATL a talent rich place. You can sell thr whole idea of starting something brand new and bringing a team back to the upper echelon of the ACC. Get recruits to team up and stay home. Just has to be now or were wasting a huge opportunity.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
In ACC Games, which are the stats I pay attention to, MGH is shooting 40% from 3, Bolden 36%, Q 35%, Jorgy 33%.
We have shooters. I agree they need to feel more confident to shoot. But I think if you ran a solid offensive system and don't get in the players heads, we have guys that will make shots just fine.
Don't know why Bolden is included in any discussion at this point. He's been jettisoned, for a reason, and new coaches aren't likely to bring back in old refuse.
MGH should be a good shooter. He's a got decent stroke.
Jorgenson can't shoot. Have you watched him? His shooting stroke is awful. He'll make one because the basket gets in the way. Look, I want the kid to be good. He's got some talent and some skills. But he is not going to make defenses play us honestly. He's not a good enough shooter to make other teams want to defend him outside of 15 feet. He can't get by people for layups to dish off for layups.
Since the Georgia game, Q is a 29.9 percent shooter from 3.
We don't have shooters. We are 277th in the country in field goal percentage. That's 3, dunks, layups, tip-ins, everything. There are no shooters.

I agree with Eric. I've met CBG a couple of times and he's the kind of person (I said person, not coach) you want running your basketball program. But this is now bad, almost comical, and not getting any better and not going to get any better anytime soon. I'm not calling for the return of BC or so stuck in the glory days, but from 85-96, we were Duke and UNC. We were their equal. Now, we can't even hold a double digit lead against a godawful Virginia Tech team. I actually am not that bent out of shape about losing to USC Upstate. They're a 20 win team. This team, as currently constructed and projected for next year, isn't close to that mark.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Don't know why Bolden is included in any discussion at this point. He's been jettisoned, for a reason, and new coaches aren't likely to bring back in old refuse.

Do you have insider info on Bolden, or are you basing that extremely harsh opinion on the public "violation of team rules" information? Or did he sleep with your girlfriend? I try not to judge him too harshly without having, you know, actual facts of what he did. If you have some, please share.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I like CBG, he seems like a great person...he has done a lot of good things for us off the court...but we are a bad program and trending the wrong way...I see no signs of improvement and recruiting is getting worse.

I have no ill will for CBG going forward but I just think he is in over his head at this level.

I feel the same way.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
At this point, recruits have noticed that CBG's time in Atlanta is probably limited. They knew CPH was done and stopped signing up to play for him. To keep Gregory could hurt us a lot more than 1 more season of bad basketball. Keeping him very well could hurt us for years if he continues to recruit. I just don't see him replacing the core of this team with equal level players. Things can definitely get worse.

I've been thinking the same thing, gotta go, nice guy, but good people get fired everyday in everyday life sometimes with a lot less than 4 years to prove themselves.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Will we have to pay at at least twice as much as we are paying CBG for one of the miracle workers? (And not talking about a Price here, but an experienced, basketball school, winning HC)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Will we have to pay at at least twice as much as we are paying CBG for one of the miracle workers? (And not talking about a Price here, but an experienced, basketball school, winning HC)

Not necessarily. For someone like Chris Mack I agree. $2M plus. For someone like Steve Prohm, Mike White, Archie Miller - you are probably looking at closer to $1.5M. Given we are spending $675K less right now on BB than we were 4 years ago, that's an increase we ought to be able to handle.
When we hired Gregory - he was being paid $1M and Hewitt's yearly buyout was $1.4M. So that's $2.4M being spent on the HC. Right now we are paying Gregory $1.075M and Hewitt's buyout currently is $650K. So we are paying out $1.725M. Even if we pay $1.5M to a new coach we are still over $200K below what we were paying 4 years ago.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not necessarily. For someone like Chris Mack I agree. $2M plus. For someone like Steve Prohm, Mike White, Archie Miller - you are probably looking at closer to $1.5M. Given we are spending $675K less right now on BB than we were 4 years ago, that's an increase we ought to be able to handle.
When we hired Gregory - he was being paid $1M and Hewitt's yearly buyout was $1.4M. So that's $2.4M being spent on the HC. Right now we are paying Gregory $1.075M and Hewitt's buyout currently is $650K. So we are paying out $1.725M. Even if we pay $1.5M to a new coach we are still over $200K below what we were paying 4 years ago.
Plus the buyouts sunset in two years.

People are in a hurry to let Gregory go, and I, personally, am on the fence about the decision. I know that sounds insane to some, if not most of you, and I have times where I go back and forth. I'm still not sure how I truly feel, but I will say this for Gregory. The kids this year have not once given up on Gregory or their teammates (except maybe UNC), and that IS attributed to the coach, and the kind of chemistry he has built within his team. It would have been very easy for these kids to pack it in after any one of the close losses we've had and give up on their coach and their teammates. And that did happen at the end of the 2011 season, the last one with Hewitt, signatured by a 35 point loss at Virginia Tech - not North Carolina or Duke - unranked Virginia Tech. We haven't seen it this year, and I doubt we'll see it over the next 3+ games.

Being a coach is more than X's and O's and Jimmy's and Joe's. Sure, that's a big part of it, but it's also about how you motivate Jimmy and Joe to play hard and play together, night after night, heartbreak after heartbreak. X's and O's and recruiting can be helped through addition of knowledgeable assistants, but charisma and leadership from the head coach is tough to teach. Either you've got it or you don't. And from everything I've seen, CBG's got it.

Again, not saying he should stay or go, just saying it's probably not as clear cut as some of you want to believe. I don't envy MBob's job in the least in times like these.
Most coaches are hired by their track record, so let's get that clear from the start. His conference record is piss poor in case you haven't looked at it. There are better coaches out there that can build a better team chemistry and RECRUIT a hell of out lot better than CBG. He has had enough time to build relationships with recruits. He has not landed a top 100 guy since being hired. Most guys will agree with me that if recruiting was better then he would have more time. Unfortunately for CBG he has not done this. The end of the road has come for the guy.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
MGH , BBC, Solo were top 100 guys. Q and Bolden were top 150 guys.

Cox and Mitchell were also top 100 guys.

But your point remains.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
MGH , BBC, Solo were top 100 guys. Q and Bolden were top 150 guys.

Cox and Mitchell were also top 100 guys.

But your point remains.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
@swampsting - Chris Bolden is suspended and unlikely to play the rest of the season. He's still around the program as of today.

There was a rumor on "another site" that he had punted on academics now and was basically bailing. I have NO knowledge of the situation and do not wish to strengthen that rumor, but if it is NOT true that would be nice to hear.