CBG

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I just keep reading how how CBG is such a great guy and the team is fully behind him. If recruiting was MUCH better I could agree.
Even if the recruiting was picking up... I don't think I could agree to him staying. It's really that bad. I truly think what were missing big time is role player type kids. Kids who may not be all around great... but do a couple of things really well. Maybe they are undersized but really talented. We need a team full of those guys with 2 good guards and 1 decent post presence.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I am in the camp that is very ready for a change, mostly because I don't see much optimism with recruiting and I don't think the coaching up of players has been great, but our talent is not as far off as some suggest. I bet we win about half of those close losses if we had gotten Golden back this year. He was the type of player CBG needs. It was too bad we only got him for one year (like about half our players it seems!).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually I think it is the opposite. I think he has done an excellent job of getting role players - what he needs are 2 A types. Imagine if MGH was the #2 or #3 scoring option on offense rather than #1.
imagine if Mitchell was more a rebounder/defender/energy guy rather than being the #1 post option.
Carter was supposed to be the #1 offensive guy this year but he left. Just his departure forces everyone to play a bigger role than they were initially expected to play. If this team had 1 big offensive post option and 1 big guard option everything else would take care of itself.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Actually I think it is the opposite. I think he has done an excellent job of getting role players - what he needs are 2 A types. Imagine if MGH was the #2 or #3 scoring option on offense rather than #1.
imagine if Mitchell was more a rebounder/defender/energy guy rather than being the #1 post option.
Carter was supposed to be the #1 offensive guy this year but he left. Just his departure forces everyone to play a bigger role than they were initially expected to play. If this team had 1 big offensive post option and 1 big guard option everything else would take care of itself.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, and I respect the things you post, help me to see any way CBG can be retained. Do you feel MBOB is going to make a change?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have had the same thoughts. The failed experiment with Solo really cost GT. And, perhaps even more so, our coach. Maybe Mitchell transfers to Tech even with Carter in place, but I wonder if Cox would have come knowing he would be a minor role player. Just having Carter instead of Cox at #5 would have meant +6-7 points per game. Those points could have been the difference in those eleven very close ACC losses and we might talking about tickets to the NIT.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
For some reason, I am feeling less and less confident that a change will actually be made. I think MBob is really focusing on financials right now, and may be patient with Gregory. We will see. I, for one, would obviously love to get excited about basketball again and regain a real sense of optimism. Not to mention it would be nice to have a program that is at least somewhat relevant again.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just listened to episode 2 of the Buzz Talk podcast that's recently started and Kelly Quinlan over at Rivals effectively said we're basically not even offering kids at this point in future classes. As if we needed more proverbial writing on the wall.

Fine by me. Get someone in that can attack in-state and land these top kids.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just listened to episode 2 of the Buzz Talk podcast that's recently started and Kelly Quinlan over at Rivals effectively said we're basically not even offering kids at this point in future classes. As if we needed more proverbial writing on the wall.

Fine by me. Get someone in that can attack in-state and land these top kids.

Sigh.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
This hasn't been true since he got here. That's what I meant by that. The whole time he's never had a TEAM that fit together. Everybody doing theor part to make the whole better. That hasn't happened in a long while.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You should have watched UNC @ Duke last week or FSU @ Miami last night. Or the Kansas-KSU game. Great basketball. In fact, I may have witnessed the greatest one man show ever in the FSU game.

This is about all I had to see for the Duke-UNC game: (will expand on this below)
If Rathan-Mayes does not score 30 in the last 5 minutes of that game, FSU loses by 20. He had 5 points through the first 35 minutes of the game. Even if he gets back to his average PPG, FSU still loses by double digits. Repeat the 30 (or even 20) regularly and I might be interested. If all that is needed for great basketball is to go nuts for 5 minutes to lose by 4 instead of 20, then GT games would be much more exciting.
I didn't watch any of the KU-KSU game, but KU shooting <40% and just over 15% from beyond the arc does not sound all that great.

My feelings about CBB are not due to the players or coaches (although to be <75% from the free throw line for any team should be embarrassing to both coaches and players), but more about the rules that are in place. It has been intentionally made boring. The shot clock is too long. Refs are either calling ticky-tack offensive fouls away from the ball or missing the correct call completely (as above). How many times have you seen a guy get mauled under the basket and no call is made, yet a hand check 20 feet from the basket is called? When the defense does not have to worry about committing fouls, offensive production is hurt.

Personally, I think the shot clock should be reduced to 30 seconds. Refs should call contact under the basket more that will allow teams to work the ball into the lane and score more points. CBB does not have the number of pure shooters that the NBA has, so kicking the ball out does not work regularly. (Or in our case, at all.) Give a 6th foul if needed to keep guys in the game. All that should help create some excitement. Initially, it will be difficult as post players will have to adjust to not body slamming guys when they get in the paint, but they will catch on quickly when they see what it does for them on the other end of the court.

Just my $0.02...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is about all I had to see for the Duke-UNC game: (will expand on this below)
If Rathan-Mayes does not score 30 in the last 5 minutes of that game, FSU loses by 20. He had 5 points through the first 35 minutes of the game. Even if he gets back to his average PPG, FSU still loses by double digits. Repeat the 30 (or even 20) regularly and I might be interested. If all that is needed for great basketball is to go nuts for 5 minutes to lose by 4 instead of 20, then GT games would be much more exciting.
I didn't watch any of the KU-KSU game, but KU shooting <40% and just over 15% from beyond the arc does not sound all that great.

My feelings about CBB are not due to the players or coaches (although to be <75% from the free throw line for any team should be embarrassing to both coaches and players), but more about the rules that are in place. It has been intentionally made boring. The shot clock is too long. Refs are either calling ticky-tack offensive fouls away from the ball or missing the correct call completely (as above). How many times have you seen a guy get mauled under the basket and no call is made, yet a hand check 20 feet from the basket is called? When the defense does not have to worry about committing fouls, offensive production is hurt.

Personally, I think the shot clock should be reduced to 30 seconds. Refs should call contact under the basket more that will allow teams to work the ball into the lane and score more points. CBB does not have the number of pure shooters that the NBA has, so kicking the ball out does not work regularly. (Or in our case, at all.) Give a 6th foul if needed to keep guys in the game. All that should help create some excitement. Initially, it will be difficult as post players will have to adjust to not body slamming guys when they get in the paint, but they will catch on quickly when they see what it does for them on the other end of the court.

Just my $0.02...

That vine is awesome. It's so clearly coached. Not only do you have the push, but you have the flop. I bet they drill that in closed coaching sessions.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I had not seen that play before and it is amazing. I mean they play so dirty and NOTHING is done about it.

Quinn Cook has been getting so much praise lately, but nary a mention that he's a walking hand check that doesn't get called for it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I had not seen that play before and it is amazing. I mean they play so dirty and NOTHING is done about it.

Quinn Cook has been getting so much praise lately, but nary a mention that he's a walking hand check that doesn't get called for it.

There's a reason Duke players rarely succeed at the next level. I know, I know Brand and Kyme Irving and others are exceptions. However, consider how much talent comes into that place versus how many continue their excellence in the NBA. Guys will only last so long being aided by the tricks being displayed in that vine.

I mean, there's no way they're not taught to push the screener into their guy. 99.99999% of the time all the ref looks at is the screen. It's genius really. Diabolical genius.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There's a reason Duke players rarely succeed at the next level. I know, I know Brand and Kyme Irving and others are exceptions. However, consider how much talent comes into that place versus how many continue their excellence in the NBA. Guys will only last so long being aided by the tricks being displayed in that vine.

I mean, there's no way they're not taught to push the screener into their guy. 99.99999% of the time all the ref looks at is the screen. It's genius really. Diabolical genius.
That push is pretty bad, but a designed play? As for Duke players in the NBA, check out this link:
http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Ivy-League/14/Duke/31/nba-players

I would be interested in a list of Duke star players who did not make it in the NBA. I am not sure what you call success, Rodney Hood signed a 2 year / $2,638,800 contract with the Utah Jazz, including $2,638,800 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,319,400. That is beginning to sound like at least a low level of success.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That push is pretty bad, but a designed play? As for Duke players in the NBA, check out this link:
http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Ivy-League/14/Duke/31/nba-players

I would be interested in a list of Duke star players who did not make it in the NBA. I am not sure what you call success, Rodney Hood signed a 2 year / $2,638,800 contract with the Utah Jazz, including $2,638,800 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,319,400. That is beginning to sound like at least a low level of success.

Turst me, I hear you. That's just my anti-Duke showing. Can you just let me have that one? :cool:

Your link notwithstanding, in the past, there has been a perception that they struggle to produce talent capable of dominating in the NBA the way they do at the college level.

So, in closing, @Peacone36 is right. Duke sugs.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not a Duke fan. In fact I might become a fan of ISIS basketball if they had a team and played a game against Duke. That said, Duke has one of the most successful programs in college basketball history. To deny that is naive.

Ok, here goes. As failures, this a pretty good cohort group:

William Avery: left Duke after Soph season; 1st round draft pick; played two seasons for T'wolves, earned $millions in those two years; no degree.
Trajan Langdon: graduated from Duke; 1st round pick; played three seasons for Cavs, earned $millions, played nine seasons in Europe after the NBA
R0shown McLeod: graduated from Duke; 1st round pick; played three seasons for Hawks, earned $millions, but left basketball due to injuries.
Chris Carrawell: graduated from Duke; 2nd round pick; never played in the NBA; assistant coach at Marquette
Sheldon Williams: graduated from Duke; 1st round pick; played five seasons for Hawks and others, earned $millions; never more than a sub in the NBA.
Seth Curry: graduated from Duke; not drafted; played 2 NBA games; currently in the D-league.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not a Duke fan. In fact I might become a fan of ISIS basketball if they had a team and played a game against Duke. That said, Duke has one of the most successful programs in college basketball history. To deny that is naive.

Ok, here goes. As failures, this a pretty good cohort group:

William Avery: left Duke after Soph season; 1st round draft pick; played two seasons for T'wolves, earned $millions in those two years; no degree.
Trajan Langdon: graduated from Duke; 1st round pick; played three seasons for Cavs, earned $millions, played nine seasons in Europe after the NBA
R0shown McLeod: graduated from Duke; 1st round pick; played three seasons for Hawks, earned $millions, but left basketball due to injuries.
Chris Carrawell: graduated from Duke; 2nd round pick; never played in the NBA; assistant coach at Marquette
Sheldon Williams: graduated from Duke; 1st round pick; played five seasons for Hawks and others, earned $millions; never more than a sub in the NBA.
Seth Curry: graduated from Duke; not drafted; played 2 NBA games; currently in the D-league.

The argument about dook's lack of NBA success isn't that they haven't put guys in to the league to make millions as much as it's, given the huge program success & highly touted nature of their players, historically, they don't translate to NBA superstars. It hasn't been until recent years that dook has actually had several players fulfill superstar potential based on being a McD's AA & winning big (Note: I'm still not sure that's a legit statement).

We've had plenty of players go in to the league and earn millions, but how many have had huge NBA success, either individually or as part of a bigger team?