CBG

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There was a rumor on "another site" that he had punted on academics now and was basically bailing. I have NO knowledge of the situation and do not wish to strengthen that rumor, but if it is NOT true that would be nice to hear.
I saw that rumor also about how he bailed on his finals. Thinking about that logically, it doesn't make sense.

If he had bailed on his finals, that would've been December, he'd have been suspended the entire ACC Season. He was suspended in February. While I'm not saying his suspension can't be academics related (i.e. - he got busted skipping too many classes, his midterms came back and he's behind in his work, take your pick of something else), the idea proposed on that other site doesn't make sense.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Most coaches are hired by their track record, so let's get that clear from the start. His conference record is piss poor in case you haven't looked at it. There are better coaches out there that can build a better team chemistry and RECRUIT a hell of out lot better than CBG. He has had enough time to build relationships with recruits. He has not landed a top 100 guy since being hired. Most guys will agree with me that if recruiting was better then he would have more time. Unfortunately for CBG he has not done this. The end of the road has come for the guy.
Like Peacone said, your statement about CBG landing top 100 guys is completely without basis. Now, the future is grim, which is where I have a problem with his recruiting, but in the past he's brought in several very talented players - via transfer and out of high school (Tadric and Stacey Poole were also top 100 guys).

I have seen his conference record, and I agree that it's not good. But the point I was making is how we've played in those losses, particularly this year. It's very easy to play uninspired basketball when you're 3-13 in the conference, but these guys play hard every night (with the exception of a couple) and I think that's a reflection of the coach. I know at the end of the day it comes down to W's and L's, but like I said earlier, I don't think it's as clear cut as a lot of people want to make it.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
We are unable to finish games. We can't manage a lead. CBG's recruiting is poor. U[sic]GA has been to the NCAA tournament more recently than we have. Something has to change. I have nothing against CBG, but there is no excuse. No excuse. Our performance under him is embarrassing and flat out unacceptable. Time for us to move on.

If we had just a few loses by 6 points or less it would be bad luck, but... We have 11+ !!!!!!!!! That is just piss poor coaching. CBG can't get the job done.

We are smack dab in the middle of a city with some of the best basketball talent in the country. There is no excuse for our recruiting to be this bad. We have one of the better basketball facilities in the ACC (at least top seven), full disclosure -> that ranking is based entirely on my own opinion and McCammish is a damn fine arena.

Again, U[sic]GA has been to the NCAA tournament more recently than we have, and we are 4-0 against them under CBG?!?! Gotta change something.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but is there really a debate anymore about keeping CBG? I think we all like and respect the man, and none of wishes to seem him disgraced or humiliated in any way, but isn't it just clear as a bell that it is time to move on? I would be extremely surprised if CBG did not realize it as well.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry, but is there really a debate anymore about keeping CBG? I think we all like and respect the man, and none of wishes to seem him disgraced or humiliated in any way, but isn't it just clear as a bell that it is time to move on? I would be extremely surprised if CBG did not realize it as well.
I have a feeling that there are some out there who don't want to fire him yet. I just wanted to vent...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

There are quite a few people who think the fact that he's fixed the academics and that he's undefeated vs. UGA are reasons enough to keep him.

I am certainly not one of those people.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
There are plenty of people who can graduate kids and beat UGA. Some people are reluctant to change. That, coupled with poor contracts, have put this program in its current state.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really would have loved to see him succeed here. Not because I necessarily thought he was a good hire, but because he was hired. Despite LazyAD being lazy, once he puts the guy in the seat, you give him the chance to show what he can do.

BG has shown an ability to improve a lot of things at GT. Academic standing, team chemistry, etc. Where he's shown to be lacking are two critical areas though, recruiting (getting the talent that can win you games) and in-game coaching (leading the talent to wins).

Despite many complaints to the effect that we don't hear from Bobinski, my understanding is that his intermediate to long-term goals are for all 17 of our scholarship sports to be playing in the postseason AND advancing. Although BG has done many good things, how long are we going to have to push that goal off in a revenue sport if we can't recruit a competitive 2016 class. We've got a lot of Top 100 kids interested, but BG hasn't been able to close. Bring someone in who can pick up on these kids interested in GT while there's still time to build a relationship & close.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe I am repeating myself. If so, my apologies. If CBG is recruiting 4* and high 3* players and cannot do better with those guys than he has demonstrated, something is terribly wrong with his coaching. It doesn't really matter what that is. Those recruits should be able to win more games. If on the other hand, he has not recruited top 100 or top 150 players, as some have suggested, then his recruiting efforts have simply not borne fruit. Either way, Gregory has not got it done.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I am repeating myself. If so, my apologies. If CBG is recruiting 4* and high 3* players and cannot do better with those guys than he has demonstrated, something is terribly wrong with his coaching. It doesn't really matter what that is. Those recruits should be able to win more games. If on the other hand, he has not recruited top 100 or top 150 players, as some have suggested, then his recruiting efforts have simply not borne fruit. Either way, Gregory has not got it done.
It has just become a boring brand to watch. You kept hoping and hoping it would evolve and get better but that never happend and now we know why. Just give the guy his walking papers and get someone in here who wants to win in all categorieS

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I really would have loved to see him succeed here. Not because I necessarily thought he was a good hire, but because he was hired. Despite LazyAD being lazy, once he puts the guy in the seat, you give him the chance to show what he can do.

BG has shown an ability to improve a lot of things at GT. Academic standing, team chemistry, etc. Where he's shown to be lacking are two critical areas though, recruiting (getting the talent that can win you games) and in-game coaching (leading the talent to wins).

Despite many complaints to the effect that we don't hear from Bobinski, my understanding is that his intermediate to long-term goals are for all 17 of our scholarship sports to be playing in the postseason AND advancing. Although BG has done many good things, how long are we going to have to push that goal off in a revenue sport if we can't recruit a competitive 2016 class. We've got a lot of Top 100 kids interested, but BG hasn't been able to close. Bring someone in who can pick up on these kids interested in GT while there's still time to build a relationship & close.
This is a great post. I worry that absent a clear statement from Bobinski about a long term commitment to CBG, or a firing shortly after the ACCT, we may whiff on the rest of our 2015 targets.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@orientalnc - did you mean 2016? We only have 1 spot left for 2015 and honestly, at this point, I wouldn't even worry about that one. We can fill it with a grad transfer or roll it over for 2016.

@Ggee87 - I think it's been less boring lately as Travis recovers and has been pushing the ball and Tadric is finally doing what he's good at, driving the lane. That does give me hope for the future and why I think those two are critical to keep in the fold under a new coach.

@ChasonBaller - any thoughts on local kids if they had Travis getting them out & running? Would it be viewed as a positive?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

This sounds like he'd be an excellent assistant coach but is miscast as the head man.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would expect we will know the week after the Tourney one way or the other. MBob is a a smart man and knows how BB works. I don't expect this to linger. Either he will fire him or let everyone know he is coming back.

At 0-7 I thought we might be close to seeing a change. But to his credit this team still plays hard for him - despite the mounting losses and he has done nothing to warrant being relieved mid season. If the players stopped playing for him that would be one thing but they clearly like/respect him as they are giving the effort. So he deserves to finish out the season and then MBob will make whatever decision he is going to make.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think you just summed up all of college basketball in general. I used to love watching CBB, but now it has gotten painful to watch.
You should have watched UNC @ Duke last week or FSU @ Miami last night. Or the Kansas-KSU game. Great basketball. In fact, I may have witnessed the greatest one man show ever in the FSU game.