CBG

Whatllyahave

Georgia Tech Fan
Unlike Hewitt, who I came to loathe because of his apparent arrogance, I like CBG. This makes it harder to can him. Still, the record speaks for itself. In the 4th year we still have not shown any improvement in the most important category...wins. Sometimes you just change for change sake. It is astounding to me how we continue to lose close games in the same way. Just averages say we should have won at least 4 or 5 of the close losses this year. Sadly, the program has no excitement around it much like Chan's last couple of years. With a pat on the back for CBG, maybe a new guy can begin to restore the enthusiasm.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I cannot possibly roll my eyes hard enough at this post. The ACC is not the SEC in football, but neither is it the sisters of the poor. CPJ's winning ACC record and finishing either first or second in the division nearly every year is very meaningful. Prior to last year, he had also played in 2 ACC title games, won one, and made an orange bowl.

Gregory's ACC record has been embarrassing. Yes, as you point out, he has had one nice ACC win per season. Hooray. Is one decent win a year what we aspire to now? What is his combined record against the dregs of the ACC in teams like Clemson, Va Tech, FSU, Wake... Not a winning one, I can tell you that.

Yes, CPJ's record against UGA is not good enough, and he deserved fair criticism for losing too many of those close games. But UGA in basketball is not UGA in football. Having won four in a row over those guys is indeed Gregory's best accomplishment, but it is not like he was knocking off top 10 or even relevant teams.

You lose credibility by comparing CBG's record to CPJ's in my opinion.
Thank you for explaining that to him. There's absolutely no comparison to be made. Bragging on 1 good win a year is ridiculous.. and yes that UM team was pretty good, but they weren't Duke or UNC or UVA.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The time is almost perfect

Next years starting 5

Jorgy
Tadric
MGH
Mitchell
Jacobs

Bench of Lammers Heath and Q

That is an 8 win ACCG team IMHO, easily an NIT team. Plus you have 5-6 scholarships to bring in a monster class. The job becomes a huge rebuild and is far less appealing following the 2015-16 season

That's an 8 win team. Period. Not an 8 win ACC team. They couldn't win in Region 5-AAAAAA. No monster class is coming if the coach is still a dead man walking and if there is a replacement, who knows who he's going to get. You hope a monster class is coming; but I don't hear of a team of big timers wanting to come play at Tech next year. It's a huge rebuild now and next year. Jorgenson isn't nearly a good enough shooter to make anybody want to guard him and right now, he can't take anybody off the dribble. His lack of scoring ability makes it 4 on 5 on offense. Jackson shouldn't shoot unless he's dunking. Unfortunately, he continues to shoot. Mitchell has bad hands. MGH plays his guts out. He's worth watching. But the bench ... I don't know if any of those guys would ever get on the floor for Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Virginia, et al. There still isn't a reliable shooter among that bunch. Q is shooting 33 percent from 3 right now. And not having a 3 point threat means teams can pack it in and play zone and limit Mitchell/Jacobs on the offensive end.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That's an 8 win team. Period. Not an 8 win ACC team. They couldn't win in Region 5-AAAAAA. No monster class is coming if the coach is still a dead man walking and if there is a replacement, who knows who he's going to get. You hope a monster class is coming; but I don't hear of a team of big timers wanting to come play at Tech next year. It's a huge rebuild now and next year. Jorgenson isn't nearly a good enough shooter to make anybody want to guard him and right now, he can't take anybody off the dribble. His lack of scoring ability makes it 4 on 5 on offense. Jackson shouldn't shoot unless he's dunking. Unfortunately, he continues to shoot. Mitchell has bad hands. MGH plays his guts out. He's worth watching. But the bench ... I don't know if any of those guys would ever get on the floor for Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Virginia, et al. There still isn't a reliable shooter among that bunch. Q is shooting 33 percent from 3 right now. And not having a 3 point threat means teams can pack it in and play zone and limit Mitchell/Jacobs on the offensive end.
This is more than a tad harsh. I have criticized our guards shooting but Tadric must be able to shoot. Heck he scored a ton of points in high school playing in a high classification. He's been to AAU camps and such. Something has not worked for him this season and I hope a new coach will see his shot and immediately know what's wrong. I doubt it's that easy, but the current guy has not helped a bit. Jorgy has an odd shot. Maybe that's the only way he knows how, but the key role of a PG is run the offense and find guys in a position to score. Mitchell and Jacobs will be just fine. I have not seen him play, but I hear he is by far our best big. MGH will probably be as good next season as this, if not better. He is a guy who could start for almost every team in the ACC.

Also, we have three guys graduating and have signed one recruit. Bolden was not shown on that roster, so if the assumption is that he will not return, there is room for both JB and Davis to sign with Tech. I think we have the core of a decent team. Now we just need to get a coach who can devise plays to get us the 3-4 points at the end of games.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry I disagree with the 8 game sentiment.
Next year's team should be a bubble team with any good coach.
Jorgy is getting better as the season goes on and will be better next season imo. He was really good in HS playing in a tough prep league. He was actually the leading scorer on his team (that included current NBA player Noah Vonleh) - its best shooter, its best passer. More importantly, one who was not afraid to take a shot. He has shown glimpses of that this year, but he has to get to 100% health wise and continue to gain experience. Tadric I would hope would be alot better next year. He didn't look anything like the MR GA basketball he was a year ago.
Jacobs is the best offensive post player on the team. He was almost a double digit scorer at AL. Unlike Cox or Mitchell he is a much more natural scorer.
This year's team should have 16-17 wins right now - that is why we need to make a coaching change. I expect next year's team to be better than this year because we have 2 FR guards that had to take their lumps this year that should be ready to take significant advances to their games.
The year after is another matter. That will be a rebuild year - which is another reason you get the coach this offseason so he can recruit those kids.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

First thing you need to come to grips with is we arent Duke, UNC or Virginia right now. But, that team can beat Clemson, Wake, NC State, VT, BC, Miami and possibly ND next year. Tadric and Jorgy are finishing up their first complete season in the ACC. I would venture a guess they will be better next year. Mitchell does have bad hands, so I guess its a good thing he isnt our PG, but he is also our second leading scorer and a great offensive rebounder. Jacobs averaged 11 and I think 5 at Bama his last year of eligibility, he is better than DC and can get out and run which is ultimately what Jorgy, Tadric and MGH all excel at. I didnt even include Bolden becuase i am not sure he is there but in that starting 5 with the natural progression of players and new coach that plays up tempo (White Prohm) or one that can guys like Bolden Q and Tadric open looks in the half court set (Mack) that is an 8 wins in the ACC team. This team we have now, goes to the tournament this year with the any of the 3 guys i mentioned. I think there is 51 ppg in that starting 5.

MGH 17
Mitchell 9
Jacobs 9
Tadric 11
Jorgy 5

Bolden, Q, Lammers, Heath should combine for 16-19 more.

Noone has ever accused me of being overly optimistic so this kind of post is new for me.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
First thing you need to come to grips with is we arent Duke, UNC or Virginia right now. But, that team can beat Clemson, Wake, NC State, VT, BC, Miami and possibly ND next year. Tadric and Jorgy are finishing up their first complete season in the ACC. I would venture a guess they will be better next year. Mitchell does have bad hands, so I guess its a good thing he isnt our PG, but he is also our second leading scorer and a great offensive rebounder. Jacobs averaged 11 and I think 5 at Bama his last year of eligibility, he is better than DC and can get out and run which is ultimately what Jorgy, Tadric and MGH all excel at. I didnt even include Bolden becuase i am not sure he is there but in that starting 5 with the natural progression of players and new coach that plays up tempo (White Prohm) or one that can guys like Bolden Q and Tadric open looks in the half court set (Mack) that is an 8 wins in the ACC team. This team we have now, goes to the tournament this year with the any of the 3 guys i mentioned. I think there is 51 ppg in that starting 5.

MGH 17
Mitchell 9
Jacobs 9
Tadric 11
Jorgy 5

Noone has ever accused me of being overly optimistic so this kind of post is new for me.
I hate to say anything about a positive post from peacone, but Mitchell and Jacobs better average more than 18 between them or Lammers will have to toss in 6-7 per game. Maybe that will happen, but I hope Mitchell will again be 10+ and Jacobs about the same. We need it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we played a similar system to this year I think Jacobs would be a 13-15 ppg player. He has good hands and offensive post moves. Cox has largely been a non scorer in college. The fact he has scored as much as he has this year surprises me. Heck Mitchell has been a pleasant surprise for me.

Jacobs looks great on the bench. He looks about a little taller and 25 pounds lighter than Mitchell when they are next to each other. So i'd guess about 6'8, 245.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
White, Mack and Prohm are all good guard coaches. Have to believe the perimeter play would improve with them.
I know fans hate to hear this but for me part of this season was just to get Jorgy and Tadric as much playing time as possible - get them up their learning curve. They will both be significantly better than they are today.
Heck most guards mature that way. Gaines at UGA avg 4.8 ppg as a FR. If you are not an elite level player, you need time to grow both your body and your brain and learn what you can do and how to do it.

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
His contract buyout is $650K - quite cheap by modern standards.
CBG isn't going to quit - that would be stupid on his part. That would mean giving up $650K - would you do that. I wouldn't - that's 650K you are taking out of your families pocket.
Your agent would kill you. Also, as long as you are trying as hard as you can to simply quit is not right imo. He has 3 games left - let him finish out the season.

His contract has basically no play on the financials after the season. It is more a matter whether GT can afford to hire another coach with 3 years left on Hewitt's buyout.
someone needs to start GOFUNDME.com to take up collections to get rid of the whole mess

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I often wonder how many people are Box Score Brainiacs and how many actually watch the games.

If you watch how we are losing these games i dont see how you can possibly question a move on our bench especially given the type of situation our new coach can walk into. If we swing and miss in the 2016 recruiting class with CBG than the depths of Fear and Loathing in Atlanta will be at an all time high.

And for the love of all that is holy can we stop with the Coach K year 4 talk. You are comparing CBG to THE GREATEST COACH/RECRUITER in the history of college basketball. This guy had a winning record at Army!!!

Best post by anyone in months! Last paragraph is the finest of gems.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
People are in a hurry to let Gregory go, and I, personally, am on the fence about the decision. I know that sounds insane to some, if not most of you, and I have times where I go back and forth. I'm still not sure how I truly feel, but I will say this for Gregory. The kids this year have not once given up on Gregory or their teammates (except maybe UNC), and that IS attributed to the coach, and the kind of chemistry he has built within his team. It would have been very easy for these kids to pack it in after any one of the close losses we've had and give up on their coach and their teammates. And that did happen at the end of the 2011 season, the last one with Hewitt, signatured by a 35 point loss at Virginia Tech - not North Carolina or Duke - unranked Virginia Tech. We haven't seen it this year, and I doubt we'll see it over the next 3+ games.

Being a coach is more than X's and O's and Jimmy's and Joe's. Sure, that's a big part of it, but it's also about how you motivate Jimmy and Joe to play hard and play together, night after night, heartbreak after heartbreak. X's and O's and recruiting can be helped through addition of knowledgeable assistants, but charisma and leadership from the head coach is tough to teach. Either you've got it or you don't. And from everything I've seen, CBG's got it.

Again, not saying he should stay or go, just saying it's probably not as clear cut as some of you want to believe. I don't envy MBob's job in the least in times like these.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
People are in a hurry to let Gregory go, and I, personally, am on the fence about the decision. I know that sounds insane to some, if not most of you, and I have times where I go back and forth. I'm still not sure how I truly feel, but I will say this for Gregory. The kids this year have not once given up on Gregory or their teammates (except maybe UNC), and that IS attributed to the coach, and the kind of chemistry he has built within his team. It would have been very easy for these kids to pack it in after any one of the close losses we've had and give up on their coach and their teammates. And that did happen at the end of the 2011 season, the last one with Hewitt, signatured by a 35 point loss at Virginia Tech - not North Carolina or Duke - unranked Virginia Tech. We haven't seen it this year, and I doubt we'll see it over the next 3+ games.

Being a coach is more than X's and O's and Jimmy's and Joe's. Sure, that's a big part of it, but it's also about how you motivate Jimmy and Joe to play hard and play together, night after night, heartbreak after heartbreak. X's and O's and recruiting can be helped through addition of knowledgeable assistants, but charisma and leadership from the head coach is tough to teach. Either you've got it or you don't. And from everything I've seen, CBG's got it.

Again, not saying he should stay or go, just saying it's probably not as clear cut as some of you want to believe. I don't envy MBob's job in the least in times like these.

After the UVA blowout, other than the UNC game, I'd say these games have been the best coaching displays by CBG. He's been active, showing passion and the team has responded.

The problem is we're in year 4. Should we trust this stretch during which his job security has really started to be legitimately called into question? Or, should we trust the 4-year sample?

I think, if he was retained, we'd have a better record next year than we do right now. Heck, we might even look pretty good. However, we haven't recruited well enough to sustain any success he'd experience next season.

Do we make a move now, allow the new guy to take advantage of the vet team we'll have and likely profit on the recruiting trail? Or, do we let CBG get that one last hurrah of a season then start the 5-year cycle of ineptitude all over again?

The choice is clear to me.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I am 100% behind you man. I feel like the positives he has brought are obviously being overshadowed by the record. I know that the W / L Column is the ultimate arbiter but I don't think it is as cut and dry as a decision as some may believe.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I think the fact that CBG is such a likeable guy, unlike Blewitt at the end of his GT tenure, is screwing with people's sound judgement. He's a swell guy, but his teams don't win enough games. He's 12 games under .500 overall and 29 games under .500 in the conference.

I really don't see how this is a difficult decision.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

MGH 17
Mitchell 9
Jacobs 9
Tadric 11
Jorgy 5

I was high on Tadric, having seen him at a high school all star game. But he's shooting less than 15 percent from 3. Jorgenson's shooting percentage also is under 25 percent. MGH will again have to carry too much of the scoring load. And since this staff is about to be swept out the door, the incoming staff won't have a lot of time or prospects left to choose from. A monster class ain't on the way. Our offensive sets are bad, but no one on this team can shoot the basketball. I don't see this getting any better next year. There is no one on that starting five you have to guard more than 15 feet from the basket. And right now, no one on that bench, either.
The team on the floor right now isn't real good - I give them their due, they play their tails off most nights - and it doesn't bode to get any better anytime soon. Just because they'll be older and will have a year under their belts doesn't mean they'll be any more skilled or talented in the next 12 months.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's face it - our offense is putrid. In the last 5 minutes of the game we give the ball to MGH and ask him to drive to the basket, or we hold the ball until there is less than 10 seconds on the shot clock before we make a move to the basket. When was the last time you saw Tech score a basket after a CBG timeout in the last few minutes of the game. I believe with TJ and Tadric we have the making of a pretty good back court. We just need an up-tempo, offensive minded coach. We will never win in the ACC consistently scoring 50 points a game. Time for a new coach!!