CBG

Do the Tech nation a favor and step down as the HC! You have earned enough money to live comfortably until you find another job which will be very difficult for you at this level of play. Maybe go back to Mich St. as an assistant for Izzo. To many games have been lost due to you not creating a play for the kids to win. Kudos to the kids for not giving up on you ! We have one of the best arenas in the country and we deserve much better than this crap. Yea , losing sucks but it's the way we're losing that makes this that much worse. Mbob please rejuvenate the basketball program! Go hire someone that can recruit and bring some excitment back.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
To many games have been lost due to you not creating a play for the kids to win. Kudos to the kids for not giving up on you !
Didn't see the game.. followed it on ESPN Gametracker. Don't follow or understand the intricacies of basketball very much... What did (didn't) CBG do to create a play for them to win? It looked like they had a good lead and just ran out of gas. Have read about a lot of these types of losses by Tech in the AJC. Can't catch any breaks. It seems BG would probably feel worse than anyone about these losses. So many of them lately.

Didn't see the game.. followed it on ESPN Gametracker. Don't follow or understand the intricacies of basketball very much... What did (didn't) CBG do to create a play for them to win? It looked like they had a good lead and just ran out of gas. Have read about a lot of these types of losses by Tech in the AJC. Can't catch any breaks. It seems BG would probably feel worse than anyone about these losses. So many of them lately.
We went away from front court game and that is the strength of this team. Leaving the game up to our guards to make shots to win was crazy. I hate it for CBG but to many games have been lost this way. Blowing leads late in the game and etc..

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe Mike Budenholzer can give him some tips... couldn't hurt. Too expensive to buy out the rest of BG's contract right now, and wouldn't want to hurt the football program by wasting money. Might as well give him a chance with the rest of his contract. :inpain:

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe Mike Budenholzer can give him some tips... couldn't hurt. Too expensive to buy out the rest of BG's contract right now, and wouldn't want to hurt the football program by wasting money. Might as well give him a chance with the rest of his contract. :inpain:
how much his buyout? Fans won't come to games if he is retained as protest.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
His contract buyout is $650K - quite cheap by modern standards.
CBG isn't going to quit - that would be stupid on his part. That would mean giving up $650K - would you do that. I wouldn't - that's 650K you are taking out of your families pocket.
Your agent would kill you. Also, as long as you are trying as hard as you can to simply quit is not right imo. He has 3 games left - let him finish out the season.

His contract has basically no play on the financials after the season. It is more a matter whether GT can afford to hire another coach with 3 years left on Hewitt's buyout.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure 650K. We should be able to handle that. Crazy thing is at the beginning of last year they tacked an extra year on with the 650K buyout which extended is contract thru next year. I called GTAA and asked why we extended---was told it was an act of goodwill...go figure. CBG needs to pay it back if we are in the goodwill game.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
His contract has basically no play on the financials after the season. It is more a matter whether GT can afford to hire another coach with 3 years left on Hewitt's buyout.
That's mainly what I was thinking concerning the financials. I don't like the idea of keeping a coach around simply based on their being a 'nice guy'. But CBG does seem like a decent representative of the program, he's got a lot of enthusiasm, and he probably hates losing more than anyone else out there. It's got to eat him up, and I feel pretty bad for him. Like to see him get a chance to turn it around, learn how to coach at this level, at least until Hewitt's contract is out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Guys, it's done (I've gotta believe). Respect the lame duck effort. At this point, this thread is morbid, imo.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pretty sure 650K. We should be able to handle that. Crazy thing is at the beginning of last year they tacked an extra year on with the 650K buyout which extended is contract thru next year. I called GTAA and asked why we extended---was told it was an act of goodwill...go figure. CBG needs to pay it back if we are in the goodwill game.

People need to stop misunderstanding the extension.
The extension did not change the buyout. The buyout would have been $650K this year if he didn't get the extension.
The extension gave him a $75K raise. So he basically gets an extra $150K compared to the original contract due to the extension. That is stupid to get upset over.
The extension was a small increase for having a solid improvement in yr 2. It had no effect on anything else. If we are worried as fans about being that cheap we shouldn't have a team.
He has the 2nd lowest salary and 2nd lowest staff salary in the conference. No GT fan has a right to be upset with Gregory over his contract, given it is a contract that is well below the current market - and was frankly below market when he was hired. Wake hired Danny Manning (whose resume was much thinner than Gregory's - now he may turn out to be a better coahc - only time will tell) last season for over $700K/yr more than we are paying Gregory.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
My dad is quite close to someone privy to a lot of the financial details who point blank stated to my dad close to 18 months ago (going off of memory here) that we paid Hewitt completely to get rid of that. Now, obviously I can't prove it but it's one of my father's very good friends and he'd have no reason to lie about it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
cc49f8fe58339a73a36a496e4b8c3389.jpg

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
People need to stop misunderstanding the extension.
The extension did not change the buyout. The buyout would have been $650K this year if he didn't get the extension.
The extension gave him a $75K raise. So he basically gets an extra $150K compared to the original contract due to the extension. That is stupid to get upset over.
The extension was a small increase for having a solid improvement in yr 2. It had no effect on anything else. If we are worried as fans about being that cheap we shouldn't have a team.
He has the 2nd lowest salary and 2nd lowest staff salary in the conference. No GT fan has a right to be upset with Gregory over his contract, given it is a contract that is well below the current market - and was frankly below market when he was hired. Wake hired Danny Manning (whose resume was much thinner than Gregory's - now he may turn out to be a better coahc - only time will tell) last season for over $700K/yr more than we are paying Gregory.
No one is upset with CBG over the contract. That is on the GTAA. Thanks for your clarification. Bottom line is it is time to move on and pay off for a good coach or our program will continue to be nonexistent and me for one will have a hard time accepting that and continuing to make donations if CBG is still here, whether he is a good guy or not. I'm looking for us to hire a "good" coach.