CBG

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought we might have a chance with Jones out. It will be interesting to hear BG's post game comments. We went 9 minutes in the 2nd half while scoring two buckets and a FT. This with Louisville missing their best defender. I simply do not understand BG's offense. Or his tactical moves. I will look at the video tomorrow. Too bummed now to watch this again.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Be sure to look out for the moment when Ville is pressing and making a run and we have Cox and Mitchell in the game, neither of which have any handle. Remarkably brilliant.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I had to quit watching towards the beginning of the conference run. Too heartbreaking and frustrating to watch. Same story since CBG has gotten here: Gets his kids to play hard, solid to very good defense for the most part, and we rarely if ever get blown out of the water (like the UNC game). We get one or two out and out scorers and this team probably has enough wins to go to the post season. But that's the catch...CBG has either mis-evaluated recruits, hasn't had the ability to develop them, or can't get them to come here. This team does just enough to give you hope, only to rip it away in the last minutes of every game.

Every other aspect of this program is exactly what you want. Kids go to class, they stay out trouble (for the most part), and they represent GT very well. CBG does things the right way. If college athletics was about creating the best boy scouts, we're a top 20 team every year. Unfortunately, it's about results. I think all the positives I wrote above is what's gotten CBG the leeway to get this far down the line...but the line is coming to end I think.

I had to quit watching towards the beginning of the conference run. Too heartbreaking and frustrating to watch. Same story since CBG has gotten here: Gets his kids to play hard, solid to very good defense for the most part, and we rarely if ever get blown out of the water (like the UNC game). We get one or two out and out scorers and this team probably has enough wins to go to the post season. But that's the catch...CBG has either mis-evaluated recruits, hasn't had the ability to develop them, or can't get them to come here. This team does just enough to give you hope, only to rip it away in the last minutes of every game.

Every other aspect of this program is exactly what you want. Kids go to class, they stay out trouble (for the most part), and they represent GT very well. CBG does things the right way. If college athletics was about creating the best boy scouts, we're a top 20 team every year. Unfortunately, it's about results. I think all the positives I wrote above is what's gotten CBG the leeway to get this far down the line...but the line is coming to end I think.
I feel like his job would be secure if he was landing some high profile guys. That would give hope to the program but that's not the case. I saw a segment on coach K and he struggled big time early. I'm not saying CBG is him but you could argue that with some better recruits , this season would be a lot better. Just a week left of this and will get to the bottom of his future.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not for firing anyone if the alternatives are not much better. With Hewitt's buyout, it will be a big burden to get a top-flight basketball coach at the flats. Apart from the Cremins years, Tech never really has been a basketball school, always more of a football tradition here. If Tech is only a couple star shooters away from winning these games, maybe the AD can hire an additional skills coach. There's got to be someone from the local HS coaching ranks who really knows how to coach shooting. Maybe hire an additional staff member to help out with recruiting (a retired alumnus with a gift for scouting talent). People were wanting to sack CPJ at the beginning of this past season because it looked like he was plateau-ing into mediocrity. Granted, CPJ had a good track record preceding him at GSU and Navy, but I don't like to see someone fired who obviously wants to be here, is trying hard, is pretty close to getting over the hump with an extra ingredient or two, and is a relative bargain while a lot of money is still left on Hewitt's buyout. Save the extra cash for the football program! (y)

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
At this point, I think it is crazy to get rid of Coach Gregory. He has two new staff coaches who have exceptional credentials. One played NBA with success and has coached elsewhere plus the other was a head coach. They started new during this season and they need to gel together. They have not even had time as coaches to put their game together. Plus what happens to our team? If he leaves so can every player. They are free to go to any school and play right away. If they transfer and the next coach takes three years to get a team to your liking, are you going to fire him too? We have really a balanced team and coaching staff for next year with experience and ability. Where we lost of two or three points this year, next years team we will win by 5 points and more. At this stage in their careers, one year difference makes a championship. Think about this too. This is an academic institution. His team is doing well academically which is important. He is a proven coach and needs backing.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not for firing anyone if the alternatives are not much better. With Hewitt's buyout, it will be a big burden to get a top-flight basketball coach at the flats. Apart from the Cremins years, Tech never really has been a basketball school, always more of a football tradition here. If Tech is only a couple star shooters away from winning these games, maybe the AD can hire an additional skills coach. There's got to be someone from the local HS coaching ranks who really knows how to coach shooting. Maybe hire an additional staff member to help out with recruiting (a retired alumnus with a gift for scouting talent). People were wanting to sack CPJ at the beginning of this past season because it looked like he was plateau-ing into mediocrity. Granted, CPJ had a good track record preceding him at GSU and Navy, but I don't like to see someone fired who obviously wants to be here, is trying hard, is pretty close to getting over the hump with an extra ingredient or two, and is a relative bargain while a lot of money is still left on Hewitt's buyout. Save the extra cash for the football program! (y)
I like everything you've had to say and it sounds nice, but you can't compare the 2 sports. CPJ has never had a losing conference record and has won the conference or played for the championship a few times. Beat UGA. Totally different. Under CBG we've done absolutely nothing. No improvement in any category really. If a change is not made... Nobody will go to games and our recruiting will get even worse than it is right now. A coach living on borrowed time is no coach I want for my team.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I like everything you've had to say and it sounds nice, but you can't compare the 2 sports. CPJ has never had a losing conference record and has won the conference or played for the championship a few times. Beat UGA. Totally different. Under CBG we've done absolutely nothing. No improvement in any category really. If a change is not made... Nobody will go to games and our recruiting will get even worse than it is right now. A coach living on borrowed time is no coach I want for my team.

Whaaaaat?

CPJ has never had a losing conference record! I should hope to heck not considering we play in the ACC.

"Beat UGA". Hell, CBG is UNDEAFEATED vs uga.

"Under CBG we have done absolutely nothing." Well, I am in no way qualified to say if he should or should not be fired at the right time. But I remember him beating #2 ranked (I think) um at their place last year. Beating Cuse at their place. uga 4IAR. Yeah, at the very least this season has been a head banger, if not greatly sucked! But losing 11 by an avg of 3.5 points. I sure do not remember some of the several 40+ point blowouts we had at duke and other places under CBC at the end or under Hewitt.

Yep, it is the coaches fault to coach or recruit better.

I don't know what to think, but not sure CBG is this much at fault. Give him more money to recruit & maybe enhance asst coaches?

But this is one crazy season for us.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I got a tweet that said Pitino thought BG should stay at Ga Tech. Is BG thinking of leaving? On a more serious note, I bet Pitino likes having a conference team that is stable in the bottom half of the standings.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't beleive you can play Im,ediately if the coach is fired. If it's your parent that is fired the NCAA tends to show mercy. I cannot believe people are thinking he should stay.

At this point, I think it is crazy to get rid of Coach Gregory. He has two new staff coaches who have exceptional credentials. One played NBA with success and has coached elsewhere plus the other was a head coach. They started new during this season and they need to gel together. They have not even had time as coaches to put their game together. Plus what happens to our team? If he leaves so can every player. They are free to go to any school and play right away. If they transfer and the next coach takes three years to get a team to your liking, are you going to fire him too? We have really a balanced team and coaching staff for next year with experience and ability. Where we lost of two or three points this year, next years team we will win by 5 points and more. At this stage in their careers, one year difference makes a championship. Think about this too. This is an academic institution. His team is doing well academically which is important. He is a proven coach and needs backing.
His conference record is 19-49 dude. That is not acceptable one bit.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is the tweet I got from Kelly Quinlan:

"Rick Pitino says @GTBrianGregory should return to #GaTech and other news from the Jackets loss to #Louisville"

First off, I do not think Bobinski needs consultation with Pitino to do his job. Second, without Jones, Pitino has his hands full doing his own job.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The time is almost perfect

Next years starting 5

Jorgy
Tadric
MGH
Mitchell
Jacobs

Bench of Lammers Heath and Q

That is an 8 win ACCG team IMHO, easily an NIT team. Plus you have 5-6 scholarships to bring in a monster class. The job becomes a huge rebuild and is far less appealing following the 2015-16 season