ACC vs SEC scorecard

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have yet to count BYU as a power 5 opponent, so I am not going to start now. However, to make sure I am comparing apples to apples, I will make the changes with ND as a power 5. It makes sense. They play pretty much the toughest schedule in CFB year in and year out.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Why the SEC bashing? The media covers the SEC because of readers/viewers. Simple. Look at the AJC and how much they report on the Dawgs and the SEC. If Boise State won the NC ... no one would care.

I got ten times the interest in Tech vs UT that I did in Tech vs. BC. Personally, I think it's great for our program to play known OOC opponents (ND, USC, almost any SEC school) because of the visibility.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I thought this was interesting ...

Last year, the SEC lead the country in attendance, with 7.5 million, or 77k per game. The ACC was 4.5 million, or 45k per game.

Why the SEC bashing? The media covers the SEC because of readers/viewers. Simple. Look at the AJC and how much they report on the Dawgs and the SEC. If Boise State won the NC ... no one would care.

I got ten times the interest in Tech vs UT that I did in Tech vs. BC. Personally, I think it's great for our program to play known OOC opponents (ND, USC, almost any SEC school) because of the visibility.
For me it is not SEC bashing, it is media bashing. The media proclaims that the football product is better and it just isn't. Just because more people attend a Missouri game than a Miami game doesn't mean Missouri is a better team. There is a bias (as you state) for the economic impact, but it doesn't translate to better football all the time. That bias skews the rankings and eventually corrupts the selection process making the playoffs a self-fulfilling prophecy. Head-to-head the other conferences are inching up. But the "perception gap" remains and is constantly being reinforced by the sports media.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Jmonty71

Banned
The Media will hang themselves when after UGAG goes 7-5 this season they finally figure out that Georgia is a paper tiger and Kirby Smart is the second coming of Ray Goff.
I think it's funny... All these people sign contracts with the SEC and here they are... Only Bama..is their shinning light. Oh, how they mighty have fallen. I really hope Miss State give UGA a complex issue.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think it's funny... All these people sign contracts with the SEC and here they are... Only Bama..is their shinning light. Oh, how they mighty have fallen. I really hope Miss State give UGA a complex issue.
I can't wait until UGAG loses to Georgia Tech in BDS the Dwags will probably hire a Moving Van and send it to Kirby Smart's house like Tennessee fans did to head coach Bill Battle when they lost to UGAG in 1973.:LOL:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
For me it is not SEC bashing, it is media bashing. The media proclaims that the football product is better and it just isn't. Just because more people attend a Missouri game than a Miami game doesn't mean Missouri is a better team. There is a bias (as you state) for the economic impact, but it doesn't translate to better football all the time. That bias skews the rankings and eventually corrupts the selection process making the playoffs a self-fulfilling prophecy. Head-to-head the other conferences are inching up. But the "perception gap" remains and is constantly being reinforced by the sports media.

Fair enough. Promoting big conference ball helps readership and followership ... so it's a vicious circle. Agreed.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
So what excuses will the press and Dwag fans use when UGAG is 7-5 and playing Iowa in the Music City Bowl? Hopefully if they have any brains at all(which most of them don't:LOL:)they will point the blame at Kirby Smart's lack of coaching ability.

So what excuses will the press and Dwag fans use when UGAG is 7-5 and playing Iowa in the Music City Bowl? Hopefully if they have any brains at all(which most of them don't:LOL:)they will point the blame at Kirby Smart's lack of coaching ability.
We ought to hope Georgia wins all their games except one. Keeping Coach Shart would seem to be in our best interest. I really miss Jim Donnan. Thought we had gotten rid of Richt, but like a bad penny, he turned up to torment us some more.

Jmonty71

Banned
We ought to hope Georgia wins all their games except one. Keeping Coach Shart would seem to be in our best interest. I really miss Jim Donnan. Thought we had gotten rid of Richt, but like a bad penny, he turned up to torment us some more.
Like a bad penny? More like a freaking cough, that won't go away. I think we'll fix his wagon, this year. Miami has athletes, but it's still the same undisciplined team.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I always have mixed feelings about uga games prior to cofh. I love seeing them get beat, but I also want them to be good enough so that we actually get some props for beating them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Media will hang themselves when after UGAG goes 7-5 this season they finally figure out that Georgia is a paper tiger and Kirby Smart is the second coming of Ray Goff.

I'll say this for UGA...the injury to Eason was actually a good thing for them. I'd rather face UGA with Eason than with Fromm. That guy is going to be a special QB for UGA before it's all said and done. Reminds me a lot of Eric Zeier that played for them in the 90's.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'll leave this here. I think even the "mighty" E$PN knows it. I love the headline.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal.../sec-looks-alabama-crimson-tide-not-much-else
The SEC was great when Urban Meyer, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, Gary Pinkel, and Philip Fulmer were around. You could even include guys like Les Miles, Mark Richt, Hugh Freeze, and James Franklin on the list too. All of those guys are gone. Now, I honestly have no idea who the 2nd best coach in the SEC is or who would be in the top 5.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The SEC was great when Urban Meyer, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, Gary Pinkel, and Philip Fulmer were around. You could even include guys like Les Miles, Mark Richt, Hugh Freeze, and James Franklin on the list too. All of those guys are gone. Now, I honestly have no idea who the 2nd best coach in the SEC is or who would be in the top 5.
wildly believed to be Dan Mullen