ACC vs SEC scorecard

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just like last year, until I feel the press is no longer trying to affect outcomes with faux rankings and puff pieces, I will keep a running tab of our progress vs the Special Ed Conference. With one very important head to head to be played tonight, here are the current numbers in the fledgling 2017 season:

VS the Big 10: SEC 0-1, ACC 1-0
VS the PAC 12: SEC 0-1, ACC 0-1
VS the BIG 12: SEC 0-0, ACC 1-0
VS non P5 FBS: SEC 6-0, ACC 2-0
VS FCS: SEC 3-0, ACC 6-0
Head to Head: SEC leads 2-0

Some interesting things to note: As per usual, the ACC schedules more games against P5 opponents than the SEC. This opening week is no different, although it is closer than normal. After tonight the SEC will have played 5 and the ACC 6. However, the SEC has played more games against non P5 in the opening week and fewer against FCS when compared to the ACC. At this point, any reasonable fan would have to conclude that the SEC has played a slightly tougher schedule and, regardless of tonight's outcome, will have the advantage in the rivalry as the season gets underway. It is pretty important for TECH to win tonight, hopefully convincingly. NCST largely dominated USC but didn't win. That is all anybody will remember.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just like last year, until I feel the press is no longer trying to affect outcomes with faux rankings and puff pieces, I will keep a running tab of our progress vs the Special Ed Conference. With one very important head to head to be played tonight, here are the current numbers in the fledgling 2017 season:

VS the Big 10: SEC 0-1, ACC 1-0
VS the PAC 12: SEC 0-1, ACC 0-1
VS the BIG 12: SEC 0-0, ACC 1-0
VS non P5 FBS: SEC 6-0, ACC 2-0
VS FCS: SEC 3-0, ACC 6-0
Head to Head: SEC leads 2-0

Some interesting things to note: As per usual, the ACC schedules more games against P5 opponents than the SEC. This opening week is no different, although it is closer than normal. After tonight the SEC will have played 5 and the ACC 6. However, the SEC has played more games against non P5 in the opening week and fewer against FCS when compared to the ACC. At this point, any reasonable fan would have to conclude that the SEC has played a slightly tougher schedule and, regardless of tonight's outcome, will have the advantage in the rivalry as the season gets underway. It is pretty important for TECH to win tonight, hopefully convincingly. NCST largely dominated USC but didn't win. That is all anybody will remember.
After week 2, this is where we stand:
VS the Big 10: SEC 0-1, ACC 2-2
VS the Pac 12: SEC 0-1, ACC 0-1
VS the BIG 12: SEC 0-1, ACC 1-0
VS non Power 5: SEC 9-0, ACC 3-1
VS FCS: SEC 9-0, ACC 8-0
Head to Head: SEC 3 wins ACC 1 win

All totaled the SEC is 3-4 vs Power 5 teams and the ACC is 4-6. It is interesting how the ACC after two weeks has already passed the mighty SEC in games against PWR 5 competition 10 contests to 7.

Neither conference has a winning record so there is not a lot to brag about. I find it interesting that even though the head to head record is 3-1 in favor of the SEC, in three of the four games the SEC teams were statistically dominated by a wide margin by the ACC teams. This makes the record a little misleading and not as much of a cause for concern this early. Still, give them credit, they won two of those games that they were dominated in.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After week 2, this is where we stand:
VS the Big 10: SEC 0-1, ACC 2-2
VS the Pac 12: SEC 0-1, ACC 0-1
VS the BIG 12: SEC 0-1, ACC 1-0
VS non Power 5: SEC 9-0, ACC 3-1
VS FCS: SEC 9-0, ACC 8-0
Head to Head: SEC 3 wins ACC 1 win

All totaled the SEC is 3-4 vs Power 5 teams and the ACC is 4-6. It is interesting how the ACC after two weeks has already passed the mighty SEC in games against PWR 5 competition 10 contests to 7.

Neither conference has a winning record so there is not a lot to brag about. I find it interesting that even though the head to head record is 3-1 in favor of the SEC, in three of the four games the SEC teams were statistically dominated by a wide margin by the ACC teams. This makes the record a little misleading and not as much of a cause for concern this early. Still, give them credit, they won two of those games that they were dominated in.
Well, another week, another losing record for the mighty Special Ed Conference against power 5 competition. Ole Miss loses to Cal and MISSOU gets absolutely slobber knocked by PURDUE, of all teams. Without an impressive one TD win by VANDY over a ranked KST team, the SEC might have been swept. The ACC, on the other hand, doesn't have a lot to brag about either going 1-1 against P5 competition with DUKE beating BAYLOR and PITT getting crushed by OKST. With 3 weeks in the books, this is where we stand:

VS the BIG 10: SEC 0-2, ACC 2-2
VS the PAC 12: SEC 0-2, ACC 0-1
VS the BIG 12: SEC 1-1, ACC 2-1
VS non Power 5: SEC 11-0, ACC 8-2
VS FCS: SEC 11-0, ACC 9-0
Head to Head: SEC 3 wins and ACC 1 win

Total win % against POWER 5 looks like this: SEC 4-6 (40%) and ACC 5-7 (42%). Folks, at this point I am not trying to make the case that the ACC is a better conference this season. However, this is two years in a row where the SEC simply has not fared well. Even though this season is still young and there is a lot of water to go under the bridge, it is time for all media fawning to stop and for rankings prejudice to be completely reconsidered. Don't you all find it just a bit curious that as soon as the BCS era ended (all voting driven by the press) SEC stock has fallen through the floor. With the change, it became apparent to SEC yellow bellies that they might have to play more meaningful out of conference games and actually earn their reputation.

In fairness, I also need to add (just realized it this morning as I was looking over the scores) that last year I treated ND as a PWR5 opponent, while this year, so far, I have not. If I were to do so again, that would make the SEC 5-6 and the ACC 5-8 overall. I am interested to hear your feedback. Where does ND belong in this analysis? If we decide P5, I will make the needed changes.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol. Notre dame is the second winningest program of all time but not good enough to be a power five? No. Just no. They count. Always. Acc counts BYU and ND so should you

LibertyTurns

Banned
With the change, it became apparent to SEC yellow bellies that they might have to play more meaningful out of conference games and actually earn their reputation.
You hit the nail squarely on the head.

In the past it was avoid tough OOC games at all cost, try to go undefeated in conference and then you get to play for the National Championship. You essentially only have to beat 1 real OOC team each year and you get the title. Now the weak underbelly of the SEC is also playing OOC, they're getting smacked around like the weak *** bitches we all knew they were.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
If you do include the independents that literally every confrence count as OOC P5, the SEC is 6-6 with two added wins with UGA over ND and LSU over BYU, while the ACC is 5-8. SEC has a slight edge, but the ACC is doing slightly better than what I expected, given how much QB talent disappeared in the off season across the board.