ACC vs SEC scorecard

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty much. Miami wasn't awful. Pitt had to go into OT to beat a FCS school. UNC still hasn't figured what the word "defense" is. But, I may be calling the kettle black. We'll see after tomorrow's game.

I just have a good feeling we are going to play well tomorrow night. I dont always start the season with a good feeling about the team but I just feel like this will be a good team this year. Of course I say this, and we lay an egg but I just think we handle TN tomorrow.

On the subject of inconsistent flags, there seems to be a lot of taunting so far when players are down / after tackle in almost every game this weekend. Which honestly I don't mind players getting juiced up after big hits but they are calling it super quick in some games and not at all in others, just seems odd.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe. I just don't get into the whole conference v conference thing. My focus is and will always be Ga Tech. Why worry about coattails? I know it's bragging rights but, frankly, the only team I want to brag about is Tech!

If all ACC teams win all their nonconference games, then everybody has a better record top to bottom which puts more teams in the top 25 which means a better bowl in the end for Georgia Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
If all ACC teams win all their nonconference games, then everybody has a better record top to bottom which puts more teams in the top 25 which means a better bowl in the end for Georgia Tech.

If Tech takes care of business and wins its games the rest is immaterial. If KY goes 7-5 are they going to a top tier bowl because Alabama is undefeated, Auburn have 1 loss and LSU has 2 losses? I've never rooted for teams that Tech plays just because they are members of the same conference. Doesn't make me right or wrong, it's just my viewpoint.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
If Tech takes care of business and wins its games the rest is immaterial. If KY goes 7-5 are they going to a top tier bowl because Alabama is undefeated, Auburn have 1 loss and LSU has 2 losses? I've never rooted for teams that Tech plays just because they are members of the same conference. Doesn't make me right or wrong, it's just my viewpoint.

To your point, we have to recruit against these schools so from that point of view their success hurts us. So yeah it's double-edged. Ideally every team in the southeast loses every single game and all 5 star recruits come flocking to the White & Gold. [emoji16]

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldnt care either if it had no impact, but since it has recruiting implications i do care and root for ACC.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think the overall rating of teams, you play, does matter. If we win 8 games, but all are against teams with 5-7 records, are such. I think the bowl committees do look at that. The teams with the best wins and such tend to get better bowls.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think the overall rating of teams, you play, does matter. If we win 8 games, but all are against teams with 5-7 records, are such. I think the bowl committees do look at that. The teams with the best wins and such tend to get better bowls.

So KY or Vandy will get better bowl games if Al, AU, LSU, A&M and the like are successful? Sorry, I don't buy that at all. Bowl tie ins mean if you finish 4th in your conference you get the 4th slotted bowl your conference pecking order. Seriously seeing the lower tier conference teams like KY, AR, Vandy, Mizzou etc chanting SEC, SEC, SEC is about as silly as silly gets. What would you say to WF or BC or Va fans chanting ACC, ACC, ACC as they are getting blown out?

Jmonty71

Banned
Sad, but true. The bowl committee does look at the team's schedule. Now, that means KY has to beat one of those upper tier squads to even get a shake. Same for us. We have to beat the "upper tier" teams for better bowls. Ie; we beat VT, Miami and UGA. We would get a better bowl than most other teams in the ACC. So, let me rephrase. Its more about your schedule and its strength, than the overall conference. The overall conference record is just fuel for folks like ESPN.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Sad, but true. The bowl committee does look at the team's schedule. Now, that means KY has to beat one of those upper tier squads to even get a shake. Same for us. We have to beat the "upper tier" teams for better bowls. Ie; we beat VT, Miami and UGA. We would get a better bowl than most other teams in the ACC. So, let me rephrase. Its more about your schedule and its strength, than the overall conference. The overall conference record is just fuel for folks like ESPN.

To an extent I tend to agree with your restated position but again the bowl committees are locked into a handful of teams due to conference tie ins. The 4th team in any conference is going to get the 4th rated bowl that is associated with their conference. The is some wiggle room for the committees but it's very narrow. Truly the only time the rankings come into play in any significant way is for the playoff bowls games. If you go 12-1 or 13-0 as a conference champion you are going to be in the playoffs regardless of how the remaining teams in your conference do. You hit the nail on the head is saying it is fuel for the media and fans but ultimately it isn't a big deal when it comes to the bowl games with the exception I noted.

Jmonty71

Banned
Not against a SEC squad. But, VT is looking decent against WVU. Thier D looks stout. I see weaknesses against the long pass, though. Hopefully, CPJ is watching this. But, up front, they look good. Not Clemson level. But, definitely a top 25 D.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
VT has had issues up the middle and against the long ball. Seems like the WR always had two steps on the DB. Their QB seems to be getting better as the game goes on.

Also since they seem to be enforcing unsportsmanlike conduct more this year I wonder who will be the first ACC coach nailed with the penalty.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
VT has had issues up the middle and against the long ball. Seems like the WR always had two steps on the DB. Their QB seems to be getting better as the game goes on.

Also since they seem to be enforcing unsportsmanlike conduct more this year I wonder who will be the first ACC coach nailed with the penalty.

Hello Moto (lucas johnson)