ACC Discussion 2019-20

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I love the optimism but I don’t think 17-14 and 11-9 gets the nod this year in the ACC.

Pretty much agree.

OU made it two years ago as an at large with 18 but it seems like 19 is the lower bound for teams that make it most years. That means we need 12 more wins out of the 16 games +ACCT that we have left. The 3 hardest games we have left are UVA, UL, and @UL. I think it's pretty much a must win that we win one of them. I think realistically we need to hold home court and beat them both at home to have a chance. I'd say in terms of making the NCAAT we'll need to win at least 11 of the 16 regular season games we have left and then win 1 or 2 in the ACCT. 10 wins puts us at 12-8 in ACC play which would probably be in the 6-8 range seeding. I think we would really want to avoid the 8 or 9 seeds because that gets 1 game and then has to face, likely, Duke as the second game. So if we can go 11-5 the rest of the way, get say a 6th/7th seed, beat whoever wins the round 1 game then we'd have to upset probably one of UVA, FSU, UL. Something like that is probably our best path to the NCAAT at the moment.

No matter how you slice it, we have a lot of work to do to.

That being said, I think this team certainly could do it, but it will need to play consistently like it has the past 2 games.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Tell them to go look at their African-American course grades and giggle....

I took an African-American Civil Rights course in January term of my freshman year at Hartwick College. I got a B-. There were about 7 of us in the class... My overall GPA ended up being a 3.93 majoring in Math and Physics. My GPA as a grad student at Tech in Mechanical Engineering earning a Masters and Ph.D. was probably higher than that.

African-American studies classes are no joke. Although I guess it depends on where you take them...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I took an African-American Civil Rights course in January term of my freshman year at Hartwick College. I got a B-. There were about 7 of us in the class... My overall GPA ended up being a 3.93 majoring in Math and Physics. My GPA as a grad student at Tech in Mechanical Engineering earning a Masters and Ph.D. was probably higher than that.

African-American studies classes are no joke. Although I guess it depends on where you take them...
AFAM at UNC was no class attendance and if an athlete it was graded by the secretary who would call the team advisor and ask if they needed an A. It was a total joke.

Gtmamn61

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry. I’m confused. Aren’t we banned from the post season? I searched the ‘net and couldn’t find anything that said it was overturned.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry. I’m confused. Aren’t we banned from the post season? I searched the ‘net and couldn’t find anything that said it was overturned.
Its on hold while they review the appeal. We could get hit with the ban next year if its upheld after this season.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Meaning that if the probation is upheld it won’t take place until next season?

My best guess is that the review won't be finished during the year so we'll be available this year, and not next if it's upheld. If it does finish before this season is done I'm not sure what will happen. My guess is that it will be delayed until next year automatically or we may be able to choose which year to apply it to (this or next). But I really don't know in that case, and I really doubt it will happen during this year.

Can we withdraw our appeal if it becomes apparent we have no shot at post-season?

I don't know for sure, but my guess is no.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
My best guess is that the review won't be finished during the year so we'll be available this year, and not next if it's upheld. If it does finish before this season is done I'm not sure what will happen. My guess is that it will be delayed until next year automatically or we may be able to choose which year to apply it to (this or next). But I really don't know in that case, and I really doubt it will happen during this year.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is no.
The appeal will probably be handled in typical NCAA fashion. Tech will finish strong this year, possibly sneak in the NIT, have a very strong outlook for next season, then get the hammer dropped on us. And all the upperclass talent that will be in the lineup for next year’s team will be wasted in a postseason ban year. I wish they would go ahead and make the decision before this year is out, so even if the ban is applied to next season we can go ahead and get all of our sulk out. I’d hate to get excited for next season only to have a mid-September announcement we won’t be eligible for the postseason.

Deleted member 2897

We have 4 road wins total - nobody in the ACC has 4...except 1 - Duke. Good company to be in.

Our KenPom is up to #81. Our defense is #25 and our offense is #195, but I’m pretty sure it was over 300 a few weeks ago.

If we beat lowly Notre Dame next at home, we’ll be in around 5th place in the ACC.