ACC Discussion 2019-20

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Over/Under might be 100 when LV plays UVA
It will be a real defensive clinic - a good thing not trying to be negative

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wake may prove as awful as we hope they'll be.

ETA: At what point does Chris Paul buy out Manning himself, retire, and become head coach at Wake?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVA and UNC has significant injury issues to deal with.
UVA lost Braxton Key before the Purdue game and he was their best interior scorer and rebounder. For a team that is shooting 23% from three, they couldn't afford to lose thos 10 ppg. They were offensively challenged before he was hurt. You can't lose the amount of talent they did last spring and just pick up where you left off.

UNC has been the hardest hit team in the conference so far this year. Jr big man Sterling Manley and FR guards Anthony Harris and Jeremiah Francis haven't played a minute yet. Losing Bacot just kills them as he was their second best player behind Anthony.

Carmody wasn't playing all that great for ND since coming back from his medical redshirt last year, but that is still a hit to ND. ND has a basic issue (same one as UVA and Syracuse) that they are built to generate offense through 3-pt shooting but aren't shooting the ball well.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UVA and UNC has significant injury issues to deal with.
UVA lost Braxton Key before the Purdue game and he was their best interior scorer and rebounder. For a team that is shooting 23% from three, they couldn't afford to lose thos 10 ppg. They were offensively challenged before he was hurt. You can't lose the amount of talent they did last spring and just pick up where you left off.

UNC has been the hardest hit team in the conference so far this year. Jr big man Sterling Manley and FR guards Anthony Harris and Jeremiah Francis haven't played a minute yet. Losing Bacot just kills them as he was their second best player behind Anthony.

Carmody wasn't playing all that great for ND since coming back from his medical redshirt last year, but that is still a hit to ND. ND has a basic issue (same one as UVA and Syracuse) that they are built to generate offense through 3-pt shooting but aren't shooting the ball well.
I have seen UVA play several times this year and scoring has been an issue for them every game. But I was struck by how easily Purdue did whatever they wanted for much of the game. Until last night only one team had scored over 50 points against UVA. Virginia's defense seems designed to force you to shoot threes and they try to make you take those out of rhythm. It did not work at all last night.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Agree with Red on the impact of injuries, but also think several ACC teams are facing the reality that they lost a lot from '19 and they didn't reload at same level.
UNC lost pretty much their whole team (White, Maye, Johnson, Little & Williams) and brought in two stud frosh. The guys stepping in to replace the other departures just aren't at the same level and I think you're seeing the result on the court.
UVA also lost most of their rotation (they kept Diakite, Key & Huff). That said, losing Hunter, Jerome & Guy was a huge blow on both ends of the floor and I expect they will be a significant level below the last two years' performance in 2019-20

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with Red on the impact of injuries, but also think several ACC teams are facing the reality that they lost a lot from '19 and they didn't reload at same level.
UNC lost pretty much their whole team (White, Maye, Johnson, Little & Williams) and brought in two stud frosh. The guys stepping in to replace the other departures just aren't at the same level and I think you're seeing the result on the court.
UVA also lost most of their rotation (they kept Diakite, Key & Huff). That said, losing Hunter, Jerome & Guy was a huge blow on both ends of the floor and I expect they will be a significant level below the last two years' performance in 2019-20

Let's hope we can catch some of those teams before the get back to full strength and make this a magical season!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We get UNC on Jan 4th. UVA is Jan 18th.
I will say our schedule sets up for us to potentially go on a run in the last half of the season. IMO our last 6 ACC games and 9 of our last 10 are against teams that I would call middle to lower tier teams in the conference. Our schedule in Jan is tough, our schedule in Feb is not.

We really need to find a way to come out with a win against Syracuse on Saturday. From Dec 31 to Jan 25 we have 8 ACC games, wouldn't shock me if we only win 2-3 of them. Win Saturday and GT has the potential to be around .500 in the ACC at the end of January before the schedule turns more favorable.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse is a must win if we have dancing aspirations and this year they're a "should win". Stop Hughes from scoring and chase Buddy & Girard off the three point line. After that, Cuse really struggles to score. the zone isn't that scary this year either. Girard and Buddy up top don't have he length or athleticism that makes he zone so tough. Dolezaj is a nice player but isn't strong enough to anchor the baseline / wing on one side. Hughes is more prototypical Cuse player and Sidibe is a big body that clogs the middle and protects the rim.

Think we should be able to get the ball between Girard / Buddy and Sidibe. Moses and/or Khalid could cause issues for them as shooter / distributor there. Banks can hold his own against Sidibe if he's patient. Could get their big fella in foul trouble, too. I don't see Buddy or Girard causing Devoe any issues and think he has 20+ again. Would be great if Bubba could find the range and light them up but the zone does well at limiting that kind of player, especially players of his height.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UNC's Cole Anthony is out indefinitely with a knee injury. No word about the extent of the injury. Leaky Black is also out with a foot problem and is considered game-to-game until he is able to play without pain.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Markell Johnson just threw up a game winning half court heave against UNCG to win the game... keep listening to folks saying we should survive without our starting pg in the acc

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
UNC's Cole Anthony is out indefinitely with a knee injury. No word about the extent of the injury. Leaky Black is also out with a foot problem and is considered game-to-game until he is able to play without pain.

They needed both of them. Just lost to Wofford - again