ACC Discussion 2019-20

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This isn't really ACC related but will put it here.
5* Forward Isiah Todd has decided he will not attend MI this fall and will instead look at professional opportunities overseas.

There are multiple rumors about how his Mom has started using him to pay back a bunch of debts she has racked up. He went from Trinity Academy where I know he wasn't getting anything but one of the best HS educations in the country to Word of God which is about as far away as you can get $$$ So seeing him go to Europe where there is arguably more money in the program for her to siphon off is not unexpected.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I would put Trinity among the national elite, but it's a good school

Academically they are really good - not sure they ever even get considered in the national mag rankings because they are so small and specialized. But regardless they are about as far from Word of God as you can get.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One humorous thing about Trinity is Carter Whitt went there all through middle school and transferred out after his freshman year - I think the year before Todd came in. Carter just wanted a public school so he went to Leesville. If he had stayed they would been there together and likely been among the best teams in the state for a school with 400 kids K-12 and no relaxation of admissions standards for athletics.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Within a month I think almost every P5/P6 School will do this.

This is their first effort before they start disbanding programs.
if anything less than a full football season happens though, most schools at that point are going to have to make hard decisions about which programs to keep and which to drop.
And AD's will be restrained by 2 different things that have to be met - first the NCAA requires you to fund 14 programs. So unless they drop that you can only drop a handful of programs. Second, by Federal law you have to meet Title IX, so almost any program cut is likely to be a men's non-revenue sport.

I saw today where at least some G5 programs or conferences have gone to the NCAA and asked them to relax the 14 program rule.

FWIW, Wake is 64th out of the 64 P5 schools in revenue, GT is 63rd. We probably aren't very far behind having to make the same announcement. (Iowa St who was 62nd was the first to announce pay cuts). Louisville, who is #14 in Revenue - but also only one of 4 schools that make more money from basketball than football also had made this move.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nolley's production tailed off horribly in ACC play.
In the ACC he avg 14.8 ppg, but shot 34% overall and 26% from three.
His last 8 games he shot 25% overall and 17% from three and avg 8.8 ppg.
He also is an average at best defensive player. With his known diva tendencies I wouldn't want him on my team.
(Reportedly he has told coaches recruiting him he wants a starting spot on the wing and be the top shot maker).