3 UCLA players arrested by Chinese Police

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pastner's new marketing pitch: Your sons will learn how to be international travelers AND learn how to not get arrested.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
this game was about the Pac 10 extending its reach into China and far east. They are the ones paying for it.
Great marketing idea. Should be an easy no brainer - great week of events like a FB Bowl game leading up to an early season sort of interesting game.
Everybody is happy until stupid steps up and goes way off the reservation.
At this point the issue isn't what if they sentence them to 10 years - it is a lot closer - what if they hold them for trial? That would be fully in their rights and nothing the embassy could do.

Every day those 3 are not on a plane back to LA with a don't come back here sentence means it is one day closer to the police deciding to go to trial.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
UCLA players released on bail. Doesn't say how much. But they are staying behind at the hotel while the other players have traveled to Shanghai to get ready for the game. Chinese police are still in control and have not deported them which is what I actually expected. Every day they stay there means it is more serious though the article does not say if they found whatever was supposed to have been shoplifted.

Funny comment (at least to me) - when GT's scheduled practice was delayed the team broke out into an unscheduled study hall to keep up with things back in Atlanta.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-liangelo-ball-ucla-teammates-124020530.html

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If I understand this, all three are basically under house arrest at the hotel. I would be surprised if they still have their passports in their possession.

Yeah, them getting bail at all is probably a good sign that the Chinese are preparing for US Diplomats to negotiate to allow them to go home (... never to return again, bwahahhahaa).

Deportation is probably the most likely outcome.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...bring-college-hoops-awful-offseason-to-china/

Norlander column on UCLA and GT.

Like it or not, I think the one line in this report that is most likely to be true long term about GT is this
"Going off what's in Parrish's story, Pastner's going to keep his job -- but his reputation has been altered from what it was, say, 24 hours before that news coming to light. Undeniably. "

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
"we need to blend in with the crowd. theyll never spot us taking a pair of sun glasses."

anybody know why they question gt players? maybe asking them if they had knowledge of the theft?

at least they were cleared. things could be far worse than they are.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
anybody know why they question gt players? maybe asking them if they had knowledge of the theft?

The security guys at the store probably told the police that three very tall black guys stole sunglasses. The police ask themselves, "Hmm..., I wonder where those guys might be? Let's try the hotel next door and ask all the tall black guys if we can have a moment of their time. And, can we kindly have a little peak at your luggage?" The police kept looking until they got their men. They probably have some smart cops in China, but you do not have to be Inspector Poirot.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
"we need to blend in with the crowd. theyll never spot us taking a pair of sun glasses."

at least they were cleared. things could be far worse than they are.
They were told that they were questioned because they fit the description of the perpetrators.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...bring-college-hoops-awful-offseason-to-china/

Norlander column on UCLA and GT.

Like it or not, I think the one line in this report that is most likely to be true long term about GT is this
"Going off what's in Parrish's story, Pastner's going to keep his job -- but his reputation has been altered from what it was, say, 24 hours before that news coming to light. Undeniably. "
Norlander might be right, but I do not think this story gets past the beginning until Pastner has a chance to reply. If I were him that would not be until after the team returns, and perhaps not until the NCAA makes its ruling .