3 UCLA players arrested by Chinese Police

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This has to be a huge distraction for the rest of the team. I don't care either way about UCLA, but this may ruin their season before it begins.

It really could. I read the Ball dad is planning a press conference to address the Chinese media, whatever that means.

If they have to go through that nonsense and, at the end of the day, have to get on the plane without some of their teammates (which could be a distinct possibility even for them to simply answer to the charges) ... whoo boy that's gonna be hard to deal with short-term.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
lol if anything Lavar will make things worse

LOL. I would LOVE to be a fly on a wall when Lavar talks to the Chinese law enforcement. If he thinks he can go over there and talk to the police the way he talks to the media, he's going to find himself reunited with his son behind bars with a bunch of new lump tattoos. One thing you don't do is disrespect the police in China. If you think minorities have it bad in the backwoods of the South with police, you haven't seen anything until you talk back to the Chinese police.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think that they get whatever comes to them. It really pissed me off about Ball though because they have money and daddy has given him whatever he wants, yet he still has to steal something. That's just beyond idiotic for anybody to do let alone a person who has the money to pay for it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Then there is the specter of LaVar Ball, who could become a concern, according to a source familiar with UCLA’s thinking. LiAngelo is the middle of the three Ball brothers, who LaVar has built the Big Baller Brand shoe and apparel company on, as well as a reality television show. LiAngelo was seen on the reality show driving a Ferrari.

“LaVar is going to be a wild card, no one knows what he is going to do,” the source said. “Will he rail at the Chinese government? Will he rail on UCLA? Or just say, ‘My kid is an idiot’?”

President Trump is scheduled to visit China later this week.

Lavar and Trump could be in the same room? Seriously, can we pay to watch that?!

In all seriousness, I touched on this earlier. DO NOT eff around when in Asia. They do not play. Punishment for crimes is as much a show to deter others from committing crimes as it is a punishment. They take pride in making examples of foreigners. This has become high profile, and the Chinese will not want to lose face. Those UCLA players are in some serious poo, and it's going to take US diplomatic intervention.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Lololol

Also appreciated the tweeter's Brokedown Palace reference. Man that was a depressing movie ... and we about to see it in real life? :eek:

Eta: Man, I went to Canadia (What? They're not Canadans.) and I was terrified going across the border that some Mountie was gonna find some technicality to lock me up. Wtf were these dudes thinking?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, the conversation probably went along these lines:

Lavar: Who do these people think they are? Don't they know who my son is? Don't they know who I am?!

Lawyer: Yo, Lavar, this ain't America. You can't make a stupid comment and insult the Chinese here. This ain't twitter where you say something stupid and people dumber than you give you hundreds of likes.

Lavar: Man, you must not understand a Big Baller! I'm a Big Baller, and Big Baller is an international language. I'm gonna roll up in there and Big Ball those motherf&^%$#s!

Lawyer: Seriously Lavar, you roll up in there, and you might disappear for seven years and then next time we see you there's a pretty good chance you'll be paraded in a wheel chair because they broke your back, and you'll be begging the Chinese government for leniency and admit to everyone you were an idiot...

Lavar: Man, you ain't scaring me...

Lawyer: I don't need to scare you. It's my job to tell you the consequences...

Lavar: Oh, you're not joking?

Lawyer: Dead serious.

Lavar: LiAngelo was my least favorite son anyhow. Worst chance of my 3 boys to make the NBA. I got 2 other sons...good luck LiAngelo, I'm putting my a$$ in first class and heading home...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Yeah, the conversation probably went along these lines:

Lavar: Who do these people think they are? Don't they know who my son is? Don't they know who I am?!

Lawyer: Yo, Lavar, this ain't America. You can't make a stupid comment and insult the Chinese here. This ain't twitter where you say something stupid and people dumber than you give you hundreds of likes.

Lavar: Man, you must not understand a Big Baller! I'm a Big Baller, and Big Baller is an international language. I'm gonna roll up in there and Big Ball those motherf&^%$#s!

Lawyer: Seriously Lavar, you roll up in there, and you might disappear for seven years and then next time we see you there's a pretty good chance you'll be paraded in a wheel chair because they broke your back, and you'll be begging the Chinese government for leniency and admit to everyone you were an idiot...

Lavar: Man, you ain't scaring me...

Lawyer: I don't need to scare you. It's my job to tell you the consequences...

Lavar: Oh, you're not joking?

Lawyer: Dead serious.

Lavar: LiAngelo was my least favorite son anyhow. Worst chance of my 3 boys to make the NBA. I got 2 other sons...good luck LiAngelo, I'm putting my a$$ in first class and heading home...

Heh. Man, the Chinese are total Ron's about stealing.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
holy crap. shoplifting in a foreign country. a country with laws & justice system that aren't smiled upon in the human rights circle. can't think of many more foolish things they could've done.

It's for things like this that imo games shouldn't be played in certain countries. Not because the players weren't being stupid, but the cost of potential stupid outweighs the gain imo.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Fill in the blanks.

GT players: Receive $2000 worth of apparel
NCAA response:

UCLA players: Steal $2000 worth of apparel
NCAA response:

That's gotta be it. I've been to China a few times for work and each time I was briefed to stay away from drugs and sex over there. Those are really the only problems money can't save you from over there. Hope for the kids sake they are spared the arm of the law in this case. I don't wish foreign imprisonment on anyone
Kirby Smart, Rat Boy, Cheatin Roy? Are you sure?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's for things like this that imo games shouldn't be played in certain countries. Not because the players weren't being stupid, but the cost of potential stupid outweighs the gain imo.

Ya know, when I see these games I tend to think the same as you. I'm like, it's great for diplomacy I guess. But if any of these guys makes a mistake, it could turn into an international incident.

What if China decides to make an example of these kids? What if they get sentenced to 10 years or some other punishment most here would consider unreasonable?

Then what? We gonna risk further exacerbating things between the 2 countries for these 3 knuckleheads? We gonna go to war to free these kids?

It's not worth the day or so of cute little marketing pics and, at the end of the day, these rando basketball games aren't doing much to address whatever issues exist between the US and China.