2020 Baseball Preseason

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Can't wait to see the team in action. So many unknowns regarding roles (esp pitching). Not a complaint... just the reality. Yeah... DEPTH! Let's keep it that way.

For those that didn't listen... you can narrow down Archer's role to starter.... OR middle relief... OR closer. (y)

Win the state (y)(y)(y)
Win the ACC (y)(y)(y)
Get to Omaha (y)(y)(y)

Let's do those things!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Can't wait to see the team in action. So many unknowns regarding roles (esp pitching). Not a complaint... just the reality. Yeah... DEPTH! Let's keep it that way.

For those that didn't listen... you can narrow down Archer's role to starter.... OR middle relief... OR closer. (y)

Win the state (y)(y)(y)
Win the ACC (y)(y)(y)
Get to Omaha (y)(y)(y)

Let's do those things!
I think Archer will probably start the year as the closer, but things may be shifted around after we see what happens in the rotation and how some of the new faces perform.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Danny Hall seems more relaxed than he has been in previous years. Really great interview. A few notes of interest to me:
  • Defense - strong across board.
    • Turley apparently leading catching position. But Jake Holland is very advanced and similar to Joey Bart in build. (I expect Holland to start a lot by season end. Good problem to have.)
    • Compton very good at first. Webb, Wilhite and Waddell (3Ws has to be a trivia question for Wiley!) will make up a very good in-field.
    • Outfield looks like Colin, Tres Gonzalez, Guldberg and Baron for CF. Concerns about wear and tear on Guldberg. No one can replace Nick though. RF and LF not discussed. Lots of Fr options for outfield too.
  • Batting - lost a lot of power but gained a lot.
    • Hall said that there were going to be Fr who get their runs - but hard to know till we see them and some returners will go from 6 to 10 HRs.
    • Talked about bunting more and manufacturing runs (I like this.) Likes to bunt for hits. (I think we have the speed to make it work.)
    • Discussion about whether Luke should lead-off or bat 3rd. Guldberg and Colin high.
    • Baron discussed as to who is going to be behind him to offer some protection. Talked about Baron's being one of the fastest on the team - 6-4 225 lbs - a football player. I'm not sold on Baron cutting down SOs since he didn't do well in Cape Cod last summer with 237 average and 37 SO in 93 at bats. https://beesball.com/summer2019.html I'm obviously missing something given his high expected draft ranking.
    • (Didn't say anything about being very selective on pitches. As much as I dislike maker the games loooonnngger, I think a lot of our success last year was running up the opposing pitchers pitch count. Thank you Coach Ramsey!)
  • Pitching - can't answer who's starting or closing except Roedig will be a starter.
    • Other possible starters Hughes, Archer, Maxwell, Finley, Jackson ...... goes on and have to sort out next three weeks.
    • More discussion than past years about mid-relief; possibly Bartnicki or Hughes could be middle relief. (Having depth allows this!)
    • Mid-week games very important to post season play so focusing on pitching mid-week.
    • Maxwell will make heart rate go up; walk 3 and then SO 3. Need to get him experience, Maxwell has the best arm to come to GT in a while!! (Let that sink in!)
    • Coaches will call the pitches unlike Joey who called last year. (I think this is going to be very interesting to see how much Borrell is involved and how he adapts to the college game.)
  • Overall - totally new year and need to establish identity. From start to finish should get better (we have been saying that!). Auburn taking game in ninth to end our season is focused on. Much more depth than we have had. Of course very high on Ramsey and Borrell. Maybe that's why he's more relaxed!

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Awesome notes and LOVE these videos!
Lots of insight and love to hear from Coach Hall and especially the players.
Great to hear about the friendships and competition. Buy in and family!

Christian watched them too and can't wait to be part of this team. "Dad, that was cool". LOL.

Now we just have to wait and watch the next 2 seasons! Going to be hard, but very exciting!!

Happy for the early buy in and his focus.
We've got GT banners in the garage where we have our weights and rack. He's geared up and representing at school and out with friends. It's awesome.
So very thankful to have a focus, goal, and destination for him to keep him motivated and focused.
We're hoping to come to a series this season.
He's itching to get back to The Flats!

Getting ready for HS, to get ready and in shape for the intense summer events.
I'm so happy baseball season is around the corner.

Upgrading our AT&T to include ACC Network so we can watch and cheer from Austin!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just switched to AT&T and you can view the ACCNetwork, However, you can't get the ACCNExtra thru AT&T.

Can you record/DVR ACCNetwork on AT&T?

On Sling, recording isn't allowed even though I have the DVR function. (I can OBStudio record the game as a screen recording but it's not great quality.)

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I could record SECNetwork and Longhorn Network and the ESPNs so I’ll be kissed if I can’t I’m ACC Network

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
What's Extra?
Do I need it for Baseball? Don't really care about anything else
I'll DVR games. I'm not watching on my phone.
Others can weigh in (confirm) on what I think is true.

ACCN is the "channel" which you get through cable/satellite or other providers. It sounds like yours is AT&T. Mine is Verizon (cable). ACCNExtra is the digital content which you can stream through the ESPN App (SmartTvs, Roku, Computer, phone... anything you can stream via internet/cell). As long as you are a subscriber to ACCN (it sounds like you are via your AT&T contract) ... you should be able to access the ACCNExtra stuff, thru ESPN App. You can test my theory. Find ACCNExtra stuff on ESPN App and see what happens.

As for DVR... most if not all of the digital content on the ESPN App will be available for a period of time for "replay" too.

Edit... I would expect a lot of the baseball to be on ESPNExtra.