2020 Baseball Preseason

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Yes, from what I have been told, once he enrolls and shows up he has to wait until Junior Year or Draft eligible age. Lefty throwing 96 he woulda gone quite high.
UVA is a great school.
Good for him for jumping in early and working towards a degree.
At UVA O'Connor told us that you have to graduate in 4 years. They make them take 15 hrs/semester compared to other schools.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
50 days to Opening Day!
[sorry don't have time to find a relatively famous #50 baseball player... Bill Curry will have to work]
billcurry.jpg

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Where did they get that jersey? It may have been the black jersey they wore for one game and then trashed it.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Can anyone give me a starting 9(DH included)or do I need to wait until nine days before the season starts?

Thanks for taking a stab at it. I’ll put the little finger down, and eat another Beesball hotdog!

Edited to move @GTNavyNuke and his pitching arms over here:

Jonathan Hughes - weekend starter
Cort Roedig - weekend starter
Zachary Maxwell - weekend starter
Andy Archer - reliever
Luke Bartnicki - reliever
Walker Barlow - mid week moving to weekend relief
Jake Brace - mid week moving to weekend relief

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can anyone give me a starting 9(DH included)or do I need to wait until nine days before the season starts?

Thanks for taking a stab at it. I’ll put the little finger down, and eat another Beesball hotdog!

Edited to move @GTNavyNuke and his pitching arms over here:

Jonathan Hughes - weekend starter
Cort Roedig - weekend starter
Zachary Maxwell - weekend starter
Andy Archer - reliever
Luke Bartnicki - reliever
Walker Barlow - mid week moving to weekend relief
Jake Brace - mid week moving to weekend relief

My guess for starting 9:
Hughes (p)
Turley (c)
Compton (1)
Austin (2)
Waddell (SS)
Webb (3)
Baron (RF)
Hall (CF)
Guldberg (LF).

That's only the starters and I think for the first game, seniority will take precedence. I expect more liberal substitutions early in the season as the newer players are worked in. Attached is the complete list of players with notes. At some point, I'll add all the Perfect Game rankings since I now have them :)

Attachments

• Fall Ball Players & Roster Dec 2019.pdf
    44.7 KB · Views: 59

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
What is the start date for preseason practice?
I want to know also
I cannot find the date for 2020. In 2018, practice started on Fri, Jan 26th. My guess for this year is Fri, Jan 24th.

That assumes no new rules on when practice starts AND it will be a Friday. So..
definitely take it for what it's worth (not much).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I cannot find the date for 2020. In 2018, practice started on Fri, Jan 26th. My guess for this year is Fri, Jan 24th.

That assumes no new rules on when practice starts AND it will be a Friday. So..
definitely take it for what it's worth (not much).

Will it be televised this year? (tic)

Anyway, I went through the potential roster of 43 players I had and it's attached. I added the Perfect Game Ranking and where applicable, draft ranking. Still included is the extent to which they played at USCe or Samford. And also notes collected this fall.

We have to get down to 35 players for the roster by 15 Feb. My guess is that on my list, Brant Hurter will be on injury RS, Jake Gooch and Caleb Reis are gone (per Beesball) and walkon Sam Crawford wont make the roster.

So who are the other 4 who won't make the roster?

There is a column of who is draft eligible this year. We have 16 who are. 5 are Sr or RSr. The rest will have a choice.

Attachments

• 2020 Potential Roster.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 45

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Will it be televised this year? (tic)

Anyway, I went through the potential roster of 43 players I had and it's attached. I added the Perfect Game Ranking and where applicable, draft ranking. Still included is the extent to which they played at USCe or Samford. And also notes collected this fall.

We have to get down to 35 players for the roster by 15 Feb. My guess is that on my list, Brant Hurter will be on injury RS, Jake Gooch and Caleb Reis are gone (per Beesball) and walkon Sam Crawford wont make the roster.

So who are the other 4 who won't make the roster?

There is a column of who is draft eligible this year. We have 16 who are. 5 are Sr or RSr. The rest will have a choice.
Evan Boyle transferred out to Wallace Dothan CC at the break, so there’s one less spot.

Hurter may actually make the 35 man. TJ recovery is usually right around 12+ months, so if he is on track with his rehab he would theoretically be ready by the time the ACC tourney rolled around. Whether or not he would want to (or be able to) pitch would be between him and the coaches. I’m sure it would come down to whether or not he thinks he’ll be able to get drafted high enough without pitching this season.

I wouldn’t necessarily count Crawford out of a roster spot. He’s made tremendous strides after being cut completely his freshman year, and being redshirted last year. A lefty throwing 90+ isn’t exactly a dime a dozen at the collegiate level.

Friedman tore his labrum this fall and required surgery. Not sure what his timetable to return would be, but was still in a sling in December. Doubt he would be 100% by opening day, but could hold a roster spot for when he does come back.

Barring injuries to upperclassmen before the season starts (Archer last year) you can probably just assume a couple freshman infielders and pitchers will be redshirted to get the roster down to 35.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Hurter would be ill advised to possibly come back for a couple games at most and burn his RS year. Far better to come back next year as a RJr and still have draft leverage of the RSr year. Usually coming back from an injury the accuracy is off. Having a bad start would be worse than not pitching at all. But if he is good enough to start in early April, then maybe. All depends on where he is. The rumor was he'd be back in May.

As to Crawford, I hear you. It's sick we have Bartnicki, Barlow, Mannelly, Smith, Siegel, Shirah and Hurter as LHPs. Take the top 4 healthy ones for the roster?

This depth is a good problem to have for the team but not the individual players. We have so many potentially good pitchers that the injuries don't hurt us like they did 5 years ago when we had no real depth.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Anybody want to play the "expectations" game? What brackets your point of disappointment to the ceiling for this coming season.

Ceiling (big stretch)
- Super regional [home] win & CWS birth

Unreal season
- #1 overall seed ACC tournament (regular season champs)
- 20 or more ACC wins
- 40 or more total regular season wins
- Top 8 national seed in NCAA tournament

Sort of my expectations
- Top 6 in ACC
- Top 3 in Coastal
- Host regional (borderline)

Disappointment/Confusion
- below .500 in ACC (bottom half of Coastal or ACC overall)
- failing to make NCAA tournament

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Anybody want to play the "expectations" game? What brackets your point of disappointment to the ceiling for this coming season.

Ceiling (big stretch)
- Super regional [home] win & CWS birth

Unreal season
- #1 overall seed ACC tournament (regular season champs)
- 20 or more ACC wins
- 40 or more total regular season wins
- Top 8 national seed in NCAA tournament

Sort of my expectations
- Top 6 in ACC
- Top 3 in Coastal
- Host regional (borderline)

Disappointment/Confusion
- below .500 in ACC (bottom half of Coastal or ACC overall)
- failing to make NCAA tournament
These are my expectations too. I think we'll struggle early on and then get it together in ACC play.