2020 Baseball Preseason

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Attached is my top 35 roster guess. I put Fr Walker and Giesler below 35 since they only played one game between USCe and Sam. Also Friedman since he can RS and is injured. The guess will be wrong, but was enjoyable to be thinking about baseball again.

40 days to opening day.

Attachments

• 2020 Potential Roster r1.pdf
    47.3 KB · Views: 52

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
after winning the division last season, looks like GT is odd man out this pre-season. Be a sleeper and come in and kick some ***.

http://theacc.com/standings.aspx?path=baseball
upload_2020-1-8_12-8-33.png

Not sure how TX and UVA got in above GT. TX had a HORRIBLE season.
GT's 2019 recruiting class was 4 and UVA 20. Texas 24 after losing Baty to the draft.
So the talent coming in looks to be better at GT.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=17815
upload_2020-1-8_12-9-25.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
after winning the division last season, looks like GT is odd man out this pre-season. Be a sleeper and come in and kick some ***.

http://theacc.com/standings.aspx?path=baseball
View attachment 7535

Not sure how TX and UVA got in above GT. TX had a HORRIBLE season.
GT's 2019 recruiting class was 4 and UVA 20. Texas 24 after losing Baty to the draft.
So the talent coming in looks to be better at GT.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=17815
View attachment 7536
These preseason rankings don't mean much to me. I'd much rather be unranked & picked 5th in Coastal preseason & beat that through actual baseball results than be like.... oh, I don't know... be Duke & have to live up to that expectation (11th!!??)

It does seem UNC & Miami have talent returning combined with a strong 2019 to justify their rankings. Duke looks like the 2020 "sexy" pick. I'm not ever sold on Duke baseball... I've been correct & not correct on that over the years. (y) UVA? Who knows... new pitching coach following a guy that was there a long time. I like UVA, but for Ga Tech's sake, I need UVA's return to form to be extremely slow.

Ga Tech is just not going to get the love with all the pitching & power bats they lost. Bottom line... we appear to be in a "rebuild" (especially on the mound)... I'm in denial about that, btw. I think those possible issues will be mitigated quite a bit IF Coach Borrell does "the Ramsey" on the pitching staff like we were so pleasantly surprised last year with the improved offense from a handful of key players (N.Wilhite & the Baron). So need Hughes to emerge as the reliable ace (CT replacement) & others to step up/improve.

Can't wait to continue the journey in a few weeks!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These preseason rankings don't mean much to me. I'd much rather be unranked & picked 5th in Coastal preseason & beat that through actual baseball results than be like.... oh, I don't know... be Duke & have to live up to that expectation (11th!!??)

It does seem UNC & Miami have talent returning combined with a strong 2019 to justify their rankings. Duke looks like the 2020 "sexy" pick. I'm not ever sold on Duke baseball... I've been correct & not correct on that over the years. (y) UVA? Who knows... new pitching coach following a guy that was there a long time. I like UVA, but for Ga Tech's sake, I need UVA's return to form to be extremely slow.

Ga Tech is just not going to get the love with all the pitching & power bats they lost. Bottom line... we appear to be in a "rebuild" (especially on the mound)... I'm in denial about that, btw. I think those possible issues will be mitigated quite a bit IF Coach Borrell does "the Ramsey" on the pitching staff like we were so pleasantly surprised last year with the improved offense from a handful of key players (N.Wilhite & the Baron). So need Hughes to emerge as the reliable ace (CT replacement) & others to step up/improve.

Can't wait to continue the journey in a few weeks!!

Agree. We have potential, not experience.

Somehow we always get the offense and usually the defense. The pitching has statistically been the weak link. Until we show it on the field, I wouldn't pick a team in our situation.

Only 36 days to opening day.

TheWhiteKenyan

Jolly Good Fellow

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer

Detail (anyone with a membership? can't see the write up)
https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/top-25-breakdown-no-19-georgia-tech/
Top 25 Breakdown: No. 19 Georgia Tech
D1BSubI.png

SEASON PREVIEW Aaron Fitt - January 16, 2020

2019 Record: 43-19. RPI: 8.
Coach (Record at school): Danny Hall (1,062-551, 26 seasons)
Ballpark: Russ Chandler Stadium (4,157)
Postseason History: 32 regionals (active streak: 1), 3 CWS trips (last in 2006)
More: Fall Report on Georgia Tech
Schedule, Stats, Team News: Follow the Yellow Jackets all season long at our Georgia Tech Team Page.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Detail (anyone with a membership? can't see the write up)
https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/top-25-breakdown-no-19-georgia-tech/
Top 25 Breakdown: No. 19 Georgia Tech
D1BSubI.png

SEASON PREVIEW Aaron Fitt - January 16, 2020

2019 Record: 43-19. RPI: 8.
Coach (Record at school): Danny Hall (1,062-551, 26 seasons)
Ballpark: Russ Chandler Stadium (4,157)
Postseason History: 32 regionals (active streak: 1), 3 CWS trips (last in 2006)
More: Fall Report on Georgia Tech
Schedule, Stats, Team News: Follow the Yellow Jackets all season long at our Georgia Tech Team Page.
I do not subscribe... but Fitt is the unofficial ambassador for GT baseball. He rarely has anything bad to say about our program or its potential. My guess is his write up will provide plenty of optimism... if you needed any.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mostly stuff we've seen but ...... a starting lineup with something unexpected (to me):
Pos. Name, Yr. AVG/OBP/SLG HR RBI SB
C Jake Holland, Fr. HS — Montverde, Fla.
1B Drew Compton, Fr. HS — Berkeley Heights, N.J.
2B Austin Wilhite, Sr. .266/.366/.349 1 32 12
3B Jackson Webb, Sr. .312/.437/.408 1 19 13
SS Luke Waddell, Jr. .322/.436/.416 2 34 7
LF Michael Guldberg, Jr. .355/.441/.416 2 34 7
CF Colin Hall, Jr. .307/.363/.432 4 41 4
RF Baron Radcliff, Jr. .257/.403/.503 12 44 6
DH Andrew Jenkins, Fr. HS — Atlanta
Pos. Name, Yr. W-L ERA IP SO BB SV
SP #1 Jonathan Hughes, Sr. 9-2 5.09 53 48 23 0
SP #2 Cort Roedig, So. 2-2 4.88 48 47 24 0
SP #3 Luke Bartnicki, So. 2-2 6.40 32.1 32 21 0
Closer Zach Maxwell, Fr. HS — Dallas, Ga.

Holland as starting catcher was unexpected to me. Pitchers aren't a surprise and there will be lots more used for middle relief and mid-weeks.

Thinks The Baron can lead the league if he gets more "consistency, i.e. doesn't strike out as much. Compton and Reid can provide a lot of power.

Think we have the most speed in a long time on the base pads with Waddell (duh), Guldberg, Wilhite, Hall and speedy Gonzalez the Second.

Think we will improve from 97th defense with returning Waddell and Wilhite and Holland being very quick. Webb at 3rd is a massive upgrade over our 3rd baseman last year.

Thinks maybe we can win our first regional since 2006. (Talk about a loaded compliment.)