2020 Baseball Preseason

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok... let's get started with the "preseason" for 2020 baseball on the Flats. Schedule was released today. 55 games total. 29 games v NCAA tournament teams from 2019. My "eyeball" says this schedule is easier than the Jackets' 2019 schedule... but our 2019 schedule was a top 20 strength of schedule. I like this one with a strong ACC schedule and add in 3 game weekend series against UGA and 2 games v Auburn.. makes for a solid schedule.

(2019 final RPI)
***CWS 2019
**SuperRegional 2019
*NCAA tourney qualifier 2019

Typical suspects:
30 v ACC
VT (65)
FSU (33)***
DUKE (32)**
CLEM (41)*
UNC (14)**
NCST (22)*
PITT (193)
BC (56)
UVA (49)
MIA (15)*

3 v UGA (4)*

2 v
Auburn (11)**
Mercer (107)*
Kennesaw St (174)
Ga State (232)
Ga Southern (71)

Unusual suspects:
3 v
Ohio St (117)*
Bowling Green (275)

1 v
St Peters (299)
Cincinnati (91)*
St Johns (113)
Gardner Webb (150)
Tennessee Tech (237)
Charleston Southern (244)

https://ramblinwreck.com/baseball-unveils-2020-schedule/

This thread will self destruct in 72 days!!! [FEB 14th]

Go Jackets!!

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Nice article and good stats on the schedule. Looking forward to watching. Uverse doesn't carry ACCN so I'm shopping around for either Spectrum or Hulu. Any other tips/tricks in order to get ACCN in Austin, TX?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok... let's get started with the "preseason" for 2020 baseball on the Flats. Schedule was released today. 55 games total. 29 games v NCAA tournament teams from 2019. My "eyeball" says this schedule is easier than the Jackets' 2019 schedule... but our 2019 schedule was a top 20 strength of schedule. I like this one with a strong ACC schedule and add in 3 game weekend series against UGA and 2 games v Auburn.. makes for a solid schedule.

(2019 final RPI)
***CWS 2019
**SuperRegional 2019

Typical suspects:
30 v ACC
VT (65)
FSU (33)***
DUKE (32)**
CLEM (41)*
UNC (14)**
NCST (22)*
PITT (193)
BC (56)
UVA (49)
MIA (15)*

3 v UGA (4)*

2 v
Auburn (11)**
Mercer (107)*
Kennesaw St (174)
Ga State (232)
Ga Southern (71)

Unusual suspects:
3 v
Ohio St (117)*
Bowling Green (275)

1 v
St Peters (299)
Cincinnati (91)*
St Johns (113)
Gardner Webb (150)
Tennessee Tech (237)

Go Jackets!!

Wow, I'm impressed. Last year the schedule didn't come out until mid-January. AA is really on the ball this year, relatively speaking.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice article and good stats on the schedule. Looking forward to watching. Uverse doesn't carry ACCN so I'm shopping around for either Spectrum or Hulu. Any other tips/tricks in order to get ACCN in Austin, TX?

Sling has it with Orange package. $25 a month and lots of sports and other channels. Can watch a zillion baseball games with all the networks they carry (ACC, SEC, PAC 10/12, etc.)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

(2019 final RPI)
***CWS 2019
**SuperRegional 2019

Typical suspects:
30 v ACC
VT (65)
FSU (33)***
DUKE (32)**
CLEM (41)*
UNC (14)**
NCST (22)*
PITT (193)
BC (56)
UVA (49)
MIA (15)*

3 v UGA (4)*

2 v
Auburn (11)**
Mercer (107)*
Kennesaw St (174)
Ga State (232)
Ga Southern (71)

Unusual suspects:
3 v
Ohio St (117)*
Bowling Green (275)

1 v
St Peters (299)
Cincinnati (91)*
St Johns (113)
Gardner Webb (150)
Tennessee Tech (237)

Go Jackets!!

Beat me to it! I have laid out in a spreadsheet with my WAG at # of wins and some D1 Baseball comments on the teams. But now I'll go sulk:X3::yuck::coldfeet::beercheers:

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

AT&T Uverse has the ACC Network on my TV.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You better post it. I'll give you my WAG if you give me yours.

My WAG is 39-16. 19-11 in ACC play. At least till I finish reading all of the fall summaries for the top teams we play. I'll post all the games when I get done {just to show that I don't learn that I can't and don't know}. We are really young and I'm assuming that we get better as the season goes on because I have faith in the coaches. We should have a team to be reckoned with next year (2020-2021) and beyond as the talent matures.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My WAG is 39-16. 19-11 in ACC play. At least till I finish reading all of the fall summaries for the top teams we play. I'll post all the games when I get done {just to show that I don't learn that I can't and don't know}. We are really young and I'm assuming that we get better as the season goes on because I have faith in the coaches. We should have a team to be reckoned with next year (2020-2021) and beyond as the talent matures.
That's a really good season, Nuke! Basically... same as 2019. Hope you're right.

I'll back off that a little. 37-18 overall. 18-12 in ACC series (1 sweep, 6 wins, 3 losses, no getting swept).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's a really good season, Nuke! Basically... same as 2019. Hope you're right.

I'll back off that a little. 37-18 overall. 18-12 in ACC series (1 sweep, 6 wins, 3 losses, no getting swept).

You are right. What I did originally is just guess to win/loss for every game. This time my guess is based on the probability of wins for a game/series. So now I'm at 35 total wins (35-20) and 18 ACC wins. pdf with details and short D1 summary attached.

I'm also a bit less optimistic on reading all the other teams reviews and rereading ours. I knew the reviews were Lake Woebegone where everyone is above average and they are writing for the teams fans as the target audience. We are going up against some serious talent, especially pitching which seems to be evolving faster than hitting.

Two massive unknowns: speed of development and injuries.

I still believe that we are going to get better as the season goes on since we are so young. We lost some real team leaders in English and McCann. Maybe Waddell and Hughes will step up? I know I'm going to miss Nick too.

Attachments

• 2020 Season Predictions.pdf
    43.6 KB · Views: 29

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You are right. What I did originally is just guess to win/loss for every game. This time my guess is based on the probability of wins for a game/series. So now I'm at 35 total wins (35-20) and 18 ACC wins. pdf with details and short D1 summary attached.

I'm also a bit less optimistic on reading all the other teams reviews and rereading ours. I knew the reviews were Lake Woebegone where everyone is above average and they are writing for the teams fans as the target audience. We are going up against some serious talent, especially pitching which seems to be evolving faster than hitting.

Two massive unknowns: speed of development and injuries.

I still believe that we are going to get better as the season goes on since we are so young. We lost some real team leaders in English and McCann. Maybe Waddell and Hughes will step up? I know I'm going to miss Nick too.
Good stuff. Our ACC schedule looks tough to me. Roads series at FSU, UNC, CLEM, UVA (& Pitt). Hard to see winning more than 2 of those 5 series... that makes those home ACC series that much more critical.

In Coastal... VT & PITT are the bottom 2. It seems pretty wide open for the other 5 teams & could be very close. My opinion...Need to finish top 3 in division to be sure you make NCAA tournament. Top 2 will likely host regional.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I see us winning the Pitt, Clemson and UVa series away. Pitt in mid-April helps not being so cold. But I think they still have that ****ty rug field. Clemson shouldn't be as strong this year. UVa I gave us the series since it's second week of May and our pitching depth should be coming forward.

I am probably over optimistic (i.e. CHarlie Brown syndrome). But it's offseason and we are undefeated. If we hadn't changed pitching coaches the guess would be lower. Hope springs eternal.

There are so many unknowns that my guess is probably 35 +/-5!

Those 15 away games @ACC I have us winning 8.4. The home games we win 9.4. The home against VT, Duke, NC State, BC, Miami should be easier and us winning all 5 series (but only because of rounding up).

67 days to opening day.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good news: Looks like Luke is #54 in Baseball America top 100 college players for 2020 draft. The Baron is #82. I see Luke. The Baron I see if he gets his SO count down. He can hit anything out of any park.

Mixed news: 2020 commits Kevin Parada is #26 and Marquis Grissom Jr is #39. I have a better feeling that Marquis will show up since his dad knows the business very well.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I would think a RHP listed at 180 lbs would want to bulk up before the Bigs. I wouldn't think he'd slot well either at that size or speed at 93. Same with the Catcher. Wouldn't these guys want to bulk up? Prada is listed at 6'0' 192.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Yep, Auburn is mostly done recruiting their pitchers for both classes. They average 13 per class last 4 years. Currently sitting 11 players/5 pitchers in both classes.
They avg 6 pitchers per class.
Going to be hard to recruit that 6th without a named pitching coach. Might hurt them for 2020 but they should be ok for 2021.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVa has the D1 #10 class coming in. They go a bump up by D1: "A 2020-grad before reclassifying, LHP Nate Savino (2) is set to enroll early, and will be eligible for the spring season. The potential first overall pick in June’s MLB Draft, who almost assuredly would have found his way into the first round somewhere, gives this UVA class a massive boost. With a long, loose arm that produces a heavy, 91-94 fastball that has touched 95 mph, and devastatingly-sharp slider from a vicious ¾ slot, Savino is an immediate impact arm who should bolster an already strong staff for the 2020 season. Long and athletic at 6-foot-3, 195-pounds, Savino has also shown an ability to swing the bat at the prep level, so it will be interesting to see if he continues to do both at UVA, where they have had plenty of success in the past."

The article confused me a bit about being a potential first overall pick in the June MLB draft. I guess it means he could have been #1 if he hadn't enrolled. If he does enroll and play, he won't be eligible for the June draft unless he is 21, right?

Anyway, I now guess @UVa takes our series 2-1 and dropped my guess to 34 regular season wins.

Overall, our class is still up there in D1 guessing for the ACC: UVa #10, Clemson #13, GT #14, UNC #20, Miami #24 and NCState #25. The SEC is still way ahead overall with 5 in the top 10 - Florida #1, Vandy #2, Ole Miss #4, Miss St #6 and USCe #9. Last year they were the best RPI conference with ACC being #3. http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/confrpi.html Not a lot of spread and

The northern ACC schools don't help the overall ACC rating as much as baseball is a southern sport in college for good reason. But the SEC is just plain loaded with talent .......

Something I just realized - L'Ville isn't in the top 25 2019 class. That's different.