2020 Baseball Preseason

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
When do they have to get down to a 30 man roster? Ramblin Wreck is still showing 39.
Here's the 35 man roster.

20200213_225851.jpg

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
we should atleast make the tourney! i dont know how we dont have more hype for this year. I know we lost our best pitcher, CT, and our best power guy but Mccann did struggle late in the year. returning 5 of 8 positions players plus a top 5 recruiting class (cant wait to see Zach Maxwell throw 98+ mph). We should be in most games

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
we should atleast make the tourney! i dont know how we dont have more hype for this year. I know we lost our best pitcher, CT, and our best power guy but Mccann did struggle late in the year. returning 5 of 8 positions players plus a top 5 recruiting class (cant wait to see Zach Maxwell throw 98+ mph). We should be in most games
Agree....I feel like the "hype" amount is about right. Ranked in multiple polls. Picked in top 5-7 in a strong, balanced ACC. Should be a good year for Tech baseball.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree....I feel like the "hype" amount is about right. Ranked in multiple polls. Picked in top 5-7 in a strong, balanced ACC. Should be a good year for Tech baseball.
I feel like the hype has been “generous” given the amount of production we lost. I think they had the stats in the ramblin wreck article, but it was staggering. I certainly hope we line up to the hype, but after 50+ years of following Tech athletics, I’ve turned into a “show me” guy. I will certainly agree the potential is there & we do have solid nucleus of position players with a couple of proven “superstars”

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Who, other than Sorrow did not make the cut?

First off, thanks @FredJacket for the roster as Ramblin Wreck hasn't updated yet.

Here are the five that didn't make it.

Name | Position |Perfect Game Ranking | Year
  • Walker Barlow LHP 500+ overall, 136 LHP Sophomore - no idea why - ok in summer ball.
  • Will Shirah LHP 183 Overall, 21 LHP RS Sophomore - bone spurs not pitching
  • Michael Sorrow UT / OF / RHP High Follow 715 Freshman - no idea
  • Andrew Walker OF 500+ overall, 188 OF Freshman - no idea
  • Jack Friedman RHP 327 Overall, 130 RHP Sophomore - tore labrum, not pitching.
The ones who did make it that were questionable (at least to me)
  • Brant Hurter - making the roster is a big boost to the likelihood that he'll be back in top form in May. As a Jr, that is risky since a poor showing will result in poorer draft payout and he'd be a Sr next year (no draft leverage). Better to take the redshirt if not 95%+!
  • Sam Crawford - LHP Jr walk on finally made roster. Congrats (y)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Sorrow is a legacy student. Doesn’t make too much sense, unless it’s his choice?
Hall could have made him a manager, use this as a RS year and then bring him back on the roster next year when 3/4 of our infield leaves.

Just a specific, but total guess :ROFLMAO::)

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

Lost our best pitcher is a little bit of an understatement, as we lost our top 4 starters from last year (X, CT, Hurter (TJ surgery), and Willingham), as well as our closer (English). Also, besides losing McCann as a power bat at Catcher, we lost English as a power bat at 1B. A great incoming freshman class, but huge shoes to fill. I'm rooting for them, and looking forward to what they can do!

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
First off, thanks @FredJacket for the roster as Ramblin Wreck hasn't updated yet.

Here are the five that didn't make it.

Name | Position |Perfect Game Ranking | Year
  • Walker Barlow LHP 500+ overall, 136 LHP Sophomore - no idea why - ok in summer ball.
  • Will Shirah LHP 183 Overall, 21 LHP RS Sophomore - bone spurs not pitching
  • Michael Sorrow UT / OF / RHP High Follow 715 Freshman - no idea
  • Andrew Walker OF 500+ overall, 188 OF Freshman - no idea
  • Jack Friedman RHP 327 Overall, 130 RHP Sophomore - tore labrum, not pitching.

So how does that work, if they get cut, especially as Freshman? Free Transfer?

Shirah was a grade 10 LHP throwing 92 (as a senior) Did he get a medical Redshirt?
Jack was 9.5 RHP throwing 92 (as a senior) did he get a medical Redshirt or cut?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So how does that work, if they get cut, especially as Freshman? Free Transfer?

Shirah was a grade 10 LHP throwing 92 (as a senior) Did he get a medical Redshirt?
Jack was 9.5 RHP throwing 92 (as a senior) did he get a medical Redshirt or cut?
Technically if a player gets cut their freshman year, that can be considered a “redshirt” year. That’s generally what happens in baseball, and players that get cut don’t practice with the team once they’ve been cut. This is what happened with Crawford. He was cut 2 years in a row, but the first year counted as a RS, and the second counted against his eligibility. That’s why he’s a RS Sophomore without ever touching the field.

Medical redshirts are tough, because they are only allowed after a player has used their original redshirt year, and then the NCAA has to approve their waiver. Friedman will probably get a medical RS this year since hes already used a RS year. He’ll still have 4 years to play 4 seasons. Shirah will probably just get a normal RS since he hasn’t used it yet.

As for free transfers, any player not on scholarship can transfer to any program (D1 or otherwise) with no penalty. Only players on scholarship would take an eligibility penalty if they transfer out.