2020 Baseball Preseason

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mostly stuff we've seen but ...... a starting lineup with something unexpected (to me):
Pos. Name, Yr. AVG/OBP/SLG HR RBI SB
C Jake Holland, Fr. HS — Montverde, Fla.
1B Drew Compton, Fr. HS — Berkeley Heights, N.J.
2B Austin Wilhite, Sr. .266/.366/.349 1 32 12
3B Jackson Webb, Sr. .312/.437/.408 1 19 13
SS Luke Waddell, Jr. .322/.436/.416 2 34 7
LF Michael Guldberg, Jr. .355/.441/.416 2 34 7
CF Colin Hall, Jr. .307/.363/.432 4 41 4
RF Baron Radcliff, Jr. .257/.403/.503 12 44 6
DH Andrew Jenkins, Fr. HS — Atlanta
Pos. Name, Yr. W-L ERA IP SO BB SV
SP #1 Jonathan Hughes, Sr. 9-2 5.09 53 48 23 0
SP #2 Cort Roedig, So. 2-2 4.88 48 47 24 0
SP #3 Luke Bartnicki, So. 2-2 6.40 32.1 32 21 0
Closer Zach Maxwell, Fr. HS — Dallas, Ga.

Holland as starting catcher was unexpected to me. Pitchers aren't a surprise and there will be lots more used for middle relief and mid-weeks.

Thinks The Baron can lead the league if he gets more "consistency, i.e. doesn't strike out as much. Compton and Reid can provide a lot of power.

Think we have the most speed in a long time on the base pads with Waddell (duh), Guldberg, Wilhite, Hall and speedy Gonzalez the Second.

Think we will improve from 97th defense with returning Waddell and Wilhite and Holland being very quick. Webb at 3rd is a massive upgrade over our 3rd baseman last year.

Thinks maybe we can win our first regional since 2006. (Talk about a loaded compliment.)

Oh yeah, they gave grades in different areas and we are slightly above average in all categories and very balanced. We have so many freshmen, it's hard to know.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm so excited for baseball season!! I really hope that we don't have Maxwell at closer. I think that he is going to be an elite pitcher (maybe a top 5 pick after his junior year) but I don't want to see a freshman with the game on the line in the ninth. I would like to see Archer at closer and then Maxwell or Bartnicki as the set up guy. I also believe that Jenkins will replace English as the two way player. That dude can really pitch and him being at DH can allow him to warm up when he needs to.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm so excited for baseball season!! I really hope that we don't have Maxwell at closer. I think that he is going to be an elite pitcher (maybe a top 5 pick after his junior year) but I don't want to see a freshman with the game on the line in the ninth. I would like to see Archer at closer and then Maxwell or Bartnicki as the set up guy. I also believe that Jenkins will replace English as the two way player. That dude can really pitch and him being at DH can allow him to warm up when he needs to.

I think Maxwell will be used where he best fits as he develops. There are so many innings to pitch and mid week is a good place to start.

Aaron Fitt doesn't make this stuff up though. He gets his info from the coaching staff.

I am clinging to my hope, contradicted by previous seasons, that we see lots of pitchers and don't overuse the best ones. (Time for the back up QB to come in too.)

28 days to opening day.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good post. Just amplify on Bartnicki, please... if you move him to bullpen, who can fill that SP#3 role. I like having a weekend starting rotation of mix of LHP & RHP.

Thank you, @GTNavyNuke for the summary. Feels like...maybe....GT may finally have enough pitching depth it institute your "quick hook" strategy. Now... you need to convince CDH & CDB to actually do it. (y)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Good post. Just amplify on Bartnicki, please... if you move him to bullpen, who can fill that SP#3 role. I like having a weekend starting rotation of mix of LHP & RHP.

Thank you, @GTNavyNuke for the summary. Feels like...maybe....GT may finally have enough pitching depth it institute your "quick hook" strategy. Now... you need to convince CDH & CDB to actually do it. (y)
I like having that mix too, but I think that Maxwell could take that spot and maybe even somebody like Brace or Barlow.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I'm hoping CDB will convince CDH, I don't have the necessary ingredients for voodoo dolls.

And back to the D1 rating, here's the scale and then the ratings:
"Just as scouts grade prospects using the 20-80 scouting scale, we use a 20-80 scale to evaluate teams in our top 25. A score of 50 in each category is average, relative to a typical NCAA tournament team; 55 is slightly above-average; 60 is above-average (plus); 70 is well above-average (plus-plus); 80 is top of the scale, historically strong. Accordingly, 45 is fringe-average or slightly below-average; 40 is below-average; 30 is well below-average; and 20 is the extreme in that direction."

For GT:
Hitting 60
Power 50
Speed 60
Defense 60
Starting Pitching 55
Bullpen 55
Experience / Intangibles 50

Overall for us, it looks like we here have been saying the same things. And to calibrate the grading, compare to say their #15 Duke:
Hitting 60
Power 60
Speed 50
Defense 55
Starting Pitching 60
Bullpen 65 (this and starting pitching look to be the key for them!)
Experience / Intangibles 60

FSU #12:
Hitting 55
Power 60
Speed 50
Defense 60
Starting Pitching 65 (this looks to be the key for them!)
Bullpen 60
Experience / Intangibles 60

L'Ville #1:
Hitting 60
Power 55
Speed 60
Defense 55
Starting Pitching 70 (this looks to be the key for them!)
Bullpen 60
Experience / Intangibles 65

Last edited:

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
Here’s an ACC preview from the Wake Forest 247 site:

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...Baseball-2020-Preview--142340940/#142340940_1

MIDDLE OF THE PACK:

“Id say Georgia Tech is the favorite of this group to contend for an ACC title. They lost catcher Kyle McCann, two-way player Tristin English, and outfielder Chase Murray. McCann and English were the two best power threats in the Jacket lineup as they accounted for 41 of the team’s 69 home runs and 141 of the 419 RBIs. Yet, they return the most of the rest of their lineup including five players who had batting averages over .300 plus Baron Radcliffwho has some serious power. Add freshmen Jake Holland, Drew Compton, and Andrew Jenkins to the mix, and the Jacket offense may not miss a beat.

On the mound, the Yellow Jackets have some serious holes to fill. Gone are two-thirds of the rotation in Xzavion Curry and Connor Thomas as well as relievers Tristin English and Micah Carpenter who combined for 49 innings of relief. Also, one of their best starters last season, Brant Hurter, will be out this season due to Tommy John Surgery. There is plenty of upside for Georgia Tech, though. They also have a good stable of freshman arms coming including one of the hardest throwing freshman in the ACC, Zach Maxwell. Perfect Game recorded his peak velocity at 98 MPH, and Fitt stated that he sat in the 94-96 MPH range when he saw him in the fall. They also have Andy Archer returning after missing last season with Tommy John Surgery.”

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I think Maxwell will be used where he best fits as he develops. There are so many innings to pitch and mid week is a good place to start.

Aaron Fitt doesn't make this stuff up though. He gets his info from the coaching staff.

I am clinging to my hope, contradicted by previous seasons, that we see lots of pitchers and don't overuse the best ones. (Time for the back up QB to come in too.)

28 days to opening day.

And if no one's said it before, I'm saying it now. Tech's current pitching coach was the minor league pitching coordinator for the New York Yankees. Yes, the same New York Yankees that drafted Maxwell out of high school. So, I'm assuming that Coach Borrell knows exactly what he wants Maxwell to work on to reach his full potential. To have a high potential athlete like Maxwell, and a pitching coach who probably knows more about him than anyone else because, they drafted him, is extremely exiting to me.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
And if no one's said it before, I'm saying it now. Tech's current pitching coach was the minor league pitching coordinator for the New York Yankees. Yes, the same New York Yankees that drafted Maxwell out of high school. So, I'm assuming that Coach Borrell knows exactly what he wants Maxwell to work on to reach his full potential. To have a high potential athlete like Maxwell, and a pitching coach who probably knows more about him than anyone else because, they drafted him, is extremely exiting to me.

You are correct. Borrell understands the mechanics/physics, flight and spin, etc more than most and that is a huge advantage for GT and our pitchers. He was sharing going gaga over Christian's spin and efficiencies from when he saw him pitch the "no Hitter" (Perfect Game) in Jupiter. We mentioned Christian's pitching coach wanting to work on a Sinker in the off season to give him a 5th pitch in his arsenal (He already has FB, Change, Cutter, Curve). He have very large hands (I wear size 14 glove) and has lots of options on contact and manipulation of the ball. Danny mentioned that due to the way Christian throws, releases, spin and his efficiency, a "sinker" wouldn't sink for him and that we should focus on his change comfort. (Most guys don't get to throw it often to get comfortable). He's the first person to mention that. He is going to work individually with each guy within their wheelhouse to get them to the next level of pitching. Each and every one is different and that gives GT a lot of different options and huge depth to pick from when playing an opponent. If the oppoenent is seeing and hitting a certain type of pitch or spin, bring in someone who has something a bit different.

That sounds like a lot of FUN!!! Pitching game is getting elevated at GT!
the_force_is_strong_with_this_one_7.jpg

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
It seems at least on the surface, GT has more arm injuries in recent years than most of the top collegiate programs. Can anyone address why or is it perception?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It seems at least on the surface, GT has more arm injuries in recent years than most of the top collegiate programs. Can anyone address why or is it perception?

It is perception. But also may be reality since noone I know has the comparative statistics.

My guess at reason for most of our injuries are overuse and poor mechanics.
http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/injuries.html
https://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/STOP/STOP/Prevent_Injuries/Baseball_Injury_Prevention.aspx

But we have a new pitching coach so these causes may be mitigated some.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
It is perception. But also may be reality since noone I know has the comparative statistics.

My guess at reason for most of our injuries are overuse and poor mechanics.
http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/injuries.html
https://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/STOP/STOP/Prevent_Injuries/Baseball_Injury_Prevention.aspx

But we have a new pitching coach so these causes may be mitigated some.

I would agree with the article overall, but would have a few tweaks. And thanks for linking to an article about arm injuries with, what appears to be, NY Met Matt Harvey as the headliner. Way too many Met pitching injuries for my liking, just like GT.

The first reason I would give for pitching arm injuries is that the human body is not built to throw a ball at 100 mph to start with, let alone adding additional torque in throwing curveballs, sliders, etc. So the harder they throw, and the more offspeed pitches they throw, the more likely they are to have arm injuries. And the push is for them to start throwing offspeed pitches earlier and earlier in their little league careers, when they probably don't have the conditioning necessary to prevent early injuries from festering and becoming major injuries later on.

Secondly, most ballplayers used to be multi-sport athletes. Playing baseball in the spring, basketball or football in the fall. Now, I think a lot of kids are throwing year round, which takes a toll on your arm. At some point, you need rest. Players these days are not getting the rest they need to avoid injury.

That being said, looking forward to what our new pitching coach can do for us. Most excited I've been for baseball in a while.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Good articles and definitely something to stay on top of.
I definitely see Danny concerned and focused on this for each and all our pitchers.

We're tracking innings and pitches this season to gauge and plan summer events and activity.

Another rule of thumb I've heard is 100 X Pitcher age for pitch count in 1 year. Shocking to see when people violate these efforts to protect.
We've been in games where the opposing pitcher, 14U, threw 141 pitches. LUNACY!

A tad concerning seeing high school kids throwing in the 90s in January all over twitter. Lots of preseason tournaments, and showcases but we passed on all of that. I get the college guys working in off season, but these are High Schoolers flooding twitter.
Sounds to me like there wasn't a break in the fall/winter to stay that active and keep that velo.

We're starting back slow as Basketball starts to wrap up the last half of the season.
We're into week 4 of an 8 week throwing program to get C's arm back in pitchable shape.

Too many times we've heard on the road by numerous scouts.
"If twins were separated at birth, each with the same baseball ability and one grew up in Texas and one grew up in OH. We would take the kid from OH 10 times out of 10, as you guys in TX pitch and play too much and come to me injured or worn out."
The weather is conducive to year round play for those crazies that do. And we know a few. We, however, document first pitch of season, last pitch of season, since 9U. Breaks are 2-4+ months between seasons and throwing. Where he doesn't pick up a ball, but uses Jaeger Bands and/or TRX. Dual sport, helps with basketball season, but these guys' arms need rest!!

30 days out from HS season starting (given basketball season)
141 Days until Summer ball!!