$125M Capital Campaign Launch

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what they are or are nor doing, but I didn't say they need to get on board and imply that they are doing nothing.

It is a common theme that the hill is against athletics, but I have not heard specific examples of what they do to hurt athletics or what else they should do to support athletics. All I have heard is vague blame toward the hill. Since you seem to blame them, I was trying to get an actual factual answer. Looks like I'll keep waiting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The hill is perfect.
The hill is bad.

We went thru this several times in 14 then 16 when swarm had knowable posters. Most of them no longer post as too many closed minds who talk with no inside knowledge.

Come over to W21 right after games and see all the students carrying their robotics projects to lab. Robotics at BDS - why not? i sent a detailed poll roposal for this to t stan and my account Rep. Rep says big fish need fixing first - see title this thread.

Do you know if the hill insists that the AA share its list to gtaa? Perhaps i am out of the loop.

As part of the new facilty -significantly increased giving is going to be requested.

I repost - if t stan can get the hill on board w increased - or more proactive support, it will be great.

We are all going to need to increase our effort - hill included.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I typed my last response on my phone and wasn't able to fully explain my thoughts.

I am excited about this drive. We as fans shouldn't be waiting for a rich alumnus to donate 18% of his net worth and take care of the entire drive. We as fans shouldn't be complaining about some nameless faceless entity that is supposedly preventing the football team from winning. If there are specific actions or non-actions that we believe an actual person or department should be doing we should be working toward getting that done. However we shouldn't be making general vague complaints that our program is doomed for some reason. Those kinds of things will spread out and affect us growing the fan base.

We as fans should be excited about this drive. We as fans should be excited that we have an athletic director who understands the school and the fans. We as fans should be donating to this drive. We as fans should be buying season tickets. We as fans should be purchasing branded merchandise.(I believe and hope that this aspect increases greatly with the newly branded merchandise) We should be inviting our friends who don't have a college allegiance to the games. We should be giving our tickets to those types of friends or other GT fans when we can't make the games instead of selling them to opposing fans or leaving the seats empty. We as fans should be ambassadors of the program to our friends, colleagues, kids, grand kids, kid's friends, grand kid's friends, etc.

There is no need for us to wait for others to make the program exciting. We can make it exciting and build more fans.

This. I know I've been hammering this point for a while now. Several others on this board have been vocal about it as well. TStan gets it, and for the first time since DRad, we have an AD that is willing to pour into our facilities to keep us competitive. If everyone on this board donated, even if it's only $50-100 here and there, it adds up. We need to get the fan base used to pitching in when they can, however they can.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This. I know I've been hammering this point for a while now. Several others on this board have been vocal about it as well. TStan gets it, and for the first time since DRad, we have an AD that is willing to pour into our facilities to keep us competitive. If everyone on this board donated, even if it's only $50-100 here and there, it adds up. We need to get the fan base used to pitching in when they can, however they can.

Stansbury does get it. That's why this is a broad reaching capital campaign for facilities, financial health, and scholarships, as opposed to LazyAD just trying to build as many buildings as possible.

Sorry... Mention of that dude triggered me.

Beyond that, your post is deadass right.

Whether it's $10, $100, $1,000 or $1,000,000, every little bit will help and it's very much needed.

I encourage everyone to listen to the Toddcast released today. Really good commentary on the campaign.

@GTNavyNuke - you'll find it very interesting.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Stansbury does get it. That's why this is a broad reaching capital campaign for facilities, financial health, and scholarships, as opposed to LazyAD just trying to build as many buildings as possible.

Sorry... Mention of that dude triggered me.

Beyond that, your post is deadass right.

Whether it's $10, $100, $1,000 or $1,000,000, every little bit will help and it's very much needed.

I encourage everyone to listen to the Toddcast released today. Really good commentary on the campaign.

@GTNavyNuke - you'll find it very interesting.

DRad had some issues, but he is a first rate AD when it comes to understanding what is required to win big. He got Clemson over the hump, and had he not left us, I feel we'd be a lot further along now than we were.

Now, don't get me wrong here, I think TStan is a MUCH better fit for us as AD, but DRad wasn't the problem. The problem was a poor hire of MBob that really hurt us more than we knew at the time.

Also, I tend to blame the NCAAs for the probation more than I blame DRad, but for someone who invested their avatar in demonizing (literally :ROFLMAO:) the man, I get where referring to him is a trigger. My apologies for that good sir.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
My only fear in this is stopping short once we hit the goal. We need to truly grow that endowment and start looking at the next project while they are completing construction on this one. TStan was interviewed by the AJC on this and hit the nail on the proverbial head: "Resources equate to wins."

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...resources-equate-wins/pC6xl6GgHsxif2VDlARIcJ/

After this renovation, the next target should be an athlete dormatory to rival all others.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Within 2 years no less...

You GT millionaires got this fo sho. (y)
This is a good point. Needs to be confirmed, but the 2 year timeframe is likely the parameter to raise the pledges. Cash in the door will likely be a longer timeframe.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After this renovation, the next target should be an athlete dormatory to rival all others.
I'm not against this, but I'm fairly certain this will never happen. I think it's against NCAA rules, but places like Kansas get around it by having the children of boosters live in the dorm.

Athletes get best housing options in dorms, but often move off campus by the time they're JRs. There are great options near campus now that make it worth doing.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
My only fear in this is stopping short once we hit the goal. We need to truly grow that endowment and start looking at the next project while they are completing construction on this one. TStan was interviewed by the AJC on this and hit the nail on the proverbial head: "Resources equate to wins."

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...resources-equate-wins/pC6xl6GgHsxif2VDlARIcJ/
I agree but am optimistic the fundraising initiatives won't stop after this one. The 2020 campaign to raise $220 million has a nice ring to it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’m glad we are skipping the daycare-esque slide like at Clemson, but it would be cool to have a high tech way to get down quick from the top, like a human air tube system...

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Reading the article in this mornings AJC about TStans presentation to the GTAA was like a bright ray of sunshine.
TStan has hit the nail on the head, as long-standing fans, if that doesn't fire you up and bream with optimism you definitely have issue's !
Exactly. His comments got me pumped up for the future of the program.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
All this is very nice and will help recruiting, no doubt. But I wonder how much more recruiting would be enhanced by taking just 5% of this money and putting it into salaries for recruiting personnel. I know we had a fund raiser ($600,000) for that and will hire four more people as a result. But 5% of 125 million would be ten times the amount that has been recently infused into hiring recruiting personnel. We're moving in the right direction, but it seems to me more money for recruiting personnel would have a far bigger, and more immediate, impact. I'm just talking about 5%.

The problem as I see it with DRad is that facilities was all he was interested in. He ignored other very pressing needs.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
All this is very nice and will help recruiting, no doubt. But I wonder how much more recruiting would be enhanced by taking just 5% of this money and putting it into salaries for recruiting personnel. I know we had a fund raiser ($600,000) for that and will hire four more people as a result. But 5% of 125 million would be ten times the amount that has been recently infused into hiring recruiting personnel. We're moving in the right direction, but it seems to me more money for recruiting personnel would have a far bigger, and more immediate, impact. I'm just talking about 5%.
According to the AJC article about the intiative, $12M of the funds raised will be going towards operations. TStan mentioned in the article that several of our varsity sports teams are understaffed, so I am sure that some of that budget will go to them, but I would be shocked if a good bit of that budget didn't go towards hiring additional football recruiting staff.

DRad had some issues, but he is a first rate AD when it comes to understanding what is required to win big. He got Clemson over the hump, and had he not left us, I feel we'd be a lot further along now than we were.

Now, don't get me wrong here, I think TStan is a MUCH better fit for us as AD, but DRad wasn't the problem. The problem was a poor hire of MBob that really hurt us more than we knew at the time.

Also, I tend to blame the NCAAs for the probation more than I blame DRad, but for someone who invested their avatar in demonizing (literally :ROFLMAO:) the man, I get where referring to him is a trigger. My apologies for that good sir.
Not sure which "hump" you are talking about Clemson getting over. I have some very close friends who are Clemson alums and they are not fond of DRad, for the same reasons that many of us at Tech were not fond of him. He is all about raising money for building or rebuilding, at the expense sometimes of tradition (McAmish pavilion over Alexander Memorial Coliseum), and they are seeing that same trend at Clemson, as well as at the expense of other needed expenditures.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem as I see it with DRad is that facilities was all he was interested in. He ignored other very pressing needs.
And if memory serves correct none of that building went to support football, the primary money maker which help fund non-revenue sports. Basketball got facilities but in retrospect that money would have been better spent on a higher level coach instead of being stuck with Gregory.