$125M Capital Campaign Launch

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
To expound on your point, spending all the money on new recruiters won't net you much if you have no room to house them and you're still bringing the recruits into an outdated facility.

My hope is that once we complete the Edge Center, and hire on the new staff, that TStan immediately rolls into Phase II and puts out another big target to reach. What we cannot afford is to sit back when we're done and say we're finished.
I agree with you. Basically, the $125 Million plan is for us to "catch up". Once that's all in place, recruiting will take an uptick and hopefully snowball into more ticket sales, donations, etc. Then we put in a huge initiative to build up the program. On the last Toddcast, TS said that right now, UNC or WF or one of the NC schools has a similar fundraising plan, but their's is something like $500 million.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you. Basically, the $125 Million plan is for us to "catch up". Once that's all in place, recruiting will take an uptick and hopefully snowball into more ticket sales, donations, etc. Then we put in a huge initiative to build up the program. On the last Toddcast, TS said that right now, UNC or WF or one of the NC schools has a similar fundraising plan, but their's is something like $500 million.

Wake Forest has a $300 million campaign. Wake freaking Forest. Their enrollment is about 4,000 students.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
They are the only school in the ACC that spends LESS on football than us. Looks like they are trying to change that...

Their enrollment isn’t much more than some high schools. They should have less money. Don’t have near the number of alumni. If they can raise $300 million, then GT should be able to easily.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What about your opinion on the increase in recruiting? Is 900,000 for recruiting verses 150,000,000 overall about right.
To me we need way more for recruiting and we need it yesterday.

Oh now, $900,000 is 0.6% of 150,000,000. That sounds proportional. o_O

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The 2020 plan is sports wide and not just football. It also includes the now completed football locker room, a new Mens and Women's basketball locker room, and upgrades to Russ Chandler. The Edge Building is also not football specific but for all athletes (correct me if I'm being on this).

I like the plan of folding stuff like this together. It let's you easily pitch to a lot of people, not just football fans. I also like the initiative of reaching out to football fans like he did last year to raise money for the less flashy upgrades like recruiting staff and analysts, and I hope he does it again this year. Even if we just raise enough for 1 position $10 at a time, those things add up. We may not make strides against our rivals, but at least we won't fall behind any more.

Deleted member 2897

Tangential to this, but a reminder of why we need to spend more money - our current level of spending is ridiculous. By way of comparison, we spent the 2nd lowest amount on athletics in the country. Its amazing that some people expect us to win 8-10 games every year with that silliness.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html
"Georgia Tech has the second-smallest athletic budget in the country, though it does devote a good chunk of it to football."

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Their enrollment isn’t much more than some high schools. They should have less money. Don’t have near the number of alumni. If they can raise $300 million, then GT should be able to easily.

Back in my college days, I was working the desk around 6:00 one morning at the Rec Center at good ole SPSU. This was right after they opened the new building.

A group of 4 or 5 guys and gals came in overly dressed for a rec center. They asked if I could give them a tour of the place. They explained that they were in town from Wake Forest. They had been talking to people around town and heard about our rec center. According to them everyone said they needed to swing by and check it out while they were in town. Said they were looking for some ideas for their new building. Realizing no one else was in the building, I agreed. My boss, Ken Lovic (he of GT LAX coaching fame), was out on his morning run and wouldn't be back for quite a while.

As we walked, I mentioned that I assumed they were thinking on a significantly larger scale than our little NAIA school. They said "no, we're really not a lot bigger than you guys when it comes to enrollment."

That was the first time I realized how small a school it actually is. Competing at the highest level of NCAA football with that low enrollment is very impressive.

Of course I've been out of school there for 20+ years. It may have outgrown the KSU branch formerly known as SPSU now. But probably not the full entity KSU.