$125M Capital Campaign Launch

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
According to the AJC article about the intiative, $12M of the funds raised will be going towards operations. TStan mentioned in the article that several of our varsity sports teams are understaffed, so I am sure that some of that budget will go to them, but I would be shocked if a good bit of that budget didn't go towards hiring additional football recruiting staff.

Hope so. Thanks for that info.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All this is very nice and will help recruiting, no doubt. But I wonder how much more recruiting would be enhanced by taking just 5% of this money and putting it into salaries for recruiting personnel. I know we had a fund raiser ($600,000) for that and will hire four more people as a result. But 5% of 125 million would be ten times the amount that has been recently infused into hiring recruiting personnel. We're moving in the right direction, but it seems to me more money for recruiting personnel would have a far bigger, and more immediate, impact. I'm just talking about 5%.

How would you allocate your proposed $6.25MM and over what time period?

I agree that some of the money raised should and likely will result in enhanced football staffing, but the number you propose seems a bit excessive and potentially unsustainable for the long term, once staff is in place.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
The greatest part of that whole video is, Demetra "What's so important about starting this initiative now?" TStan, "It comes do to three things: RECRUITING, BUILDING A BETTER STUDENT ATHLETE THROUGH SCIENCE AND INNOVATION, AND WINNING!" Finally an AD who understands what it will take to WIN and an AD who knows how to desribe his vision to fans and alumni!
We may have the best AD in the country. I know we have the best AD for Georgia Tech. Someone who really gets it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
How would you allocate your proposed $6.25MM and over what time period?

I agree that some of the money raised should and likely will result in enhanced football staffing, but the number you propose seems a bit excessive and potentially unsustainable for the long term, once staff is in place.

I don't have any specified time frame in mind, and the amount was just something I threw out there. But mainly what I'm trying to say is that recruiting personnel = better players = more wins = more fans = more $, so it's a good investment both money-wise and success-wise to spend more than has been spent in the past on recruiting. Since Tech has a relatively narrow curriculum and higher standards than most, and since we are in a state surrounded by football factories, we need to recruit nationally. That takes money.

I imagine that if we spent a tenth of that 6.25 million every year for ten years, we'd have the additional revenue generated by the enhanced success of those ten years to sustain the increase in expenditures. Just an idea...

Last edited:
Aren't the new locker rooms under the north stands? I know there was an article a few weeks ago that mentioned finding remains of the old swimming pool, and that pool was definitely in a building between the old north stands and the old Heisman Gym.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Do big donors have access to at least see the locker/weight rooms and other behind the scenes facilities? Alums/donors need more access to these facilities imo. I'm an alum and have been a fan my entire life, and I have only seen glimpses of our behind the scenes facilities. Would be nice to see what we are donating our money to improve. A tour during the spring game or at least some pictures on ramblinwreck would be nice. You never know when some bigshot might walk through and say "this looks like ****, here's $500k to help fix it".

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Do big donors have access to at least see the locker/weight rooms and other behind the scenes facilities? Alums/donors need more access to these facilities imo. I'm an alum and have been a fan my entire life, and I have only seen glimpses of our behind the scenes facilities. Would be nice to see what we are donating our money to improve. A tour during the spring game or at least some pictures on ramblinwreck would be nice. You never know when some bigshot might walk through and say "this looks like ****, here's $500k to help fix it".

I'd be happy if they could create a tour program for the facilities. For a small price ,i.e. $10 per adult kids free, have tours available for fans. Say in spring, every Saturday, you can schedule a full tour of BDS including locker rooms and weight rooms etc. In the fall, open MP for tours, much like Duke and UNC do for their basketball facilities. And give away a small item. Not really about getting the big $$$ donors to pony up, but will emphasize the need to keep everything clean and modern. And you never know if that scrawny kid that is awe struck by being in a D1 football/basketball locker room for the first time will develop into the next Calvin Johnson or Matt Harpring.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I'd be happy if they could create a tour program for the facilities. For a small price ,i.e. $10 per adult kids free, have tours available for fans. Say in spring, every Saturday, you can schedule a full tour of BDS including locker rooms and weight rooms etc. In the fall, open MP for tours, much like Duke and UNC do for their basketball facilities. And give away a small item. Not really about getting the big $$$ donors to pony up, but will emphasize the need to keep everything clean and modern. And you never know if that scrawny kid that is awe struck by being in a D1 football/basketball locker room for the first time will develop into the next Calvin Johnson or Matt Harpring.
Should for sure email Tstan and company that

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think a golf tournament would be a nice way to raise money. Have GT coaches and some GT ex pro’s come out. Make it a day of fun for the kids by having activities for them and have a 4 man scramble at $500.00 or so a team. This would be very fun for the fans and hopefully get the fans involved with the program.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think a golf tournament would be a nice way to raise money. Have GT coaches and some GT ex pro’s come out. Make it a day of fun for the kids by having activities for them and have a 4 man scramble at $500.00 or so a team. This would be very fun for the fans and hopefully get the fans involved with the program.

This is a nice idea, but at $500/team, how much would this raise in a day? I'm not a golfer, so I don't know.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is a nice idea, but at $500/team, how much would this raise in a day? I'm not a golfer, so I don't know.

It depends. At $500 a team, you'd gross $9,000 based on 18 teams in a shotgun start. That should hopefully cover all expenses of the tournament. Where the money is raised is at the awards presentation at the end. Whenever I've played in charity tournaments, there is always a pitch at the end to raise donations. Many teams arrive prepared to donate heavily.

That being said, while a golf tournament won't necessarily bring in TONS of money, this could be a workable idea. Instead of $500 per team, I'd say charge $2500 per team minimum. This will price a lot of us out of it, but we're really not the target. The people who can raise the type money we need can afford this. Have two seperate competitions: first, the low score team, and two, the high money team. The low score team gets typical golf related prizes, but the high money team gets a free game in a luxury box at BDS in the fall, pampered in the style they deserve. The teams can canvas anyone they want to help donates, and those funds go directly to GTAA.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
With sponsors at holes ect you can raise about $10,000. However, you can really push for random sponsors that have nothing to do with the tournament, it would just be a ploy to get more money in reality. Set a goal of 25,000 or even more and say come have fun at our golf tournament, donate money ect. By setting a goal those who don’t golf would be more likely to give.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It depends. At $500 a team, you'd gross $9,000 based on 18 teams in a shotgun start. That should hopefully cover all expenses of the tournament. Where the money is raised is at the awards presentation at the end. Whenever I've played in charity tournaments, there is always a pitch at the end to raise donations. Many teams arrive prepared to donate heavily.

That being said, while a golf tournament won't necessarily bring in TONS of money, this could be a workable idea. Instead of $500 per team, I'd say charge $2500 per team minimum. This will price a lot of us out of it, but we're really not the target. The people who can raise the type money we need can afford this. Have two seperate competitions: first, the low score team, and two, the high money team. The low score team gets typical golf related prizes, but the high money team gets a free game in a luxury box at BDS in the fall, pampered in the style they deserve. The teams can canvas anyone they want to help donates, and those funds go directly to GTAA.
Like these ideas minus the $2,500. Those guys are going to give regardless imo. You want something where all walks of fans can come and interact. You could even do an auction type deal at the end for sideline passes before a game and then watch the game in the box, even give a tour of the new locker room.