Why we WILL beat Clemson

I'll still be drunk when we play USF
@stech81, this is just for you. LOL

Wife and husband eating out.jpg

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Lawrence had a phenomenal year as a freshman but starts his second year off with a sophomoric slump. He can't do anything right, and our improved secondary gets a pick 6 early which fires us up even more and we play absolutely over our heads. Clemson is shocked and we get up by 3 touchdowns by half time. Venables is going crazy and has to leave the field to seek medical attention. In second half they make adjustments and it becomes a dog fight. Their talent and experience allow them to tie us late in the 4th quarter but Wesley nails a 49 trader in the final seconds to secure our victory! Go Jackets!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anybody who watched MIA play UF last night (two somewhat respected programs) knows how ugly an early season contest can be. All it would have taken last night was for one of those two teams to play a clean game, even if unspectacular, and it would have been a whitewash in their favor. I agree with our coaches in that Thursday night is really more about us than it is about them. We need to run our stuff and execute without turning the ball over. If we do that, we will have a puncher's chance. I expect a tough game and I also recognize anything can, and often does, happen in sports. I don't like making predictions. I just take comfort in knowing that you have to play the games on the field and get it done. Clemson needs to do far more than just show up if they want to win. They will need to earn it just like we will if they want to go home happy.

There has been a lot of hype surrounding the program changeover, fall camp, new culture etc etc. If what I am hearing is true, then we will show up and fight like hell the whole time and actually attack with vigor. I want our kids to take the field with absolute certainty that they believe in what we are doing and that they belong on the field going against opponents just like Clemson, in places just like Death Valley. If you truly believe, then you have comfort even in the presence of adrenaline. If you have comfort, then you can focus. If you can focus, then you can execute. If you execute, then you will be giving yourself the absolute best chance to win. If we give ourselves the absolute best chance, it might just actually go our way. If that chain of "if"s gets broken at any stage, then we probably have very little chance to win.

Even if we are fortunate enough to come home winners later this week, we still need to stay sober enough (meaning the players, not me) to realize that we are building something that will take years. It is a demanding and iterative process that must be repeated without fail.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Anybody who watched MIA play UF last night (two somewhat respected programs) knows how ugly an early season contest can be. All it would have taken last night was for one of those two teams to play a clean game, even if unspectacular, and it would have been a whitewash in their favor. I agree with our coaches in that Thursday night is really more about us than it is about them. We need to run our stuff and execute without turning the ball over. If we do that, we will have a puncher's chance. I expect a tough game and I also recognize anything can, and often does, happen in sports. I don't like making predictions. I just take comfort in knowing that you have to play the games on the field and get it done. Clemson needs to do far more than just show up if they want to win. They will need to earn it just like we will if they want to go home happy.

There has been a lot of hype surrounding the program changeover, fall camp, new culture etc etc. If what I am hearing is true, then we will show up and fight like hell the whole time and actually attack with vigor. I want our kids to take the field with absolute certainty that they believe in what we are doing and that they belong on the field going against opponents just like Clemson, in places just like Death Valley. If you truly believe, then you have comfort even in the presence of adrenaline. If you have comfort, then you can focus. If you can focus, then you can execute. If you execute, then you will be giving yourself the absolute best chance to win. If we give ourselves the absolute best chance, it might just actually go our way. If that chain of "if"s gets broken at any stage, then we probably have very little chance to win.

Even if we are fortunate enough to come home winners later this week, we still need to stay sober enough (meaning the players, not me) to realize that we are building something that will take years. It is a demanding and iterative process that must be repeated without fail.

The last 4 minutes of that game was unlike anything I have ever seen in watching college football. Florida, with about 4 minutes to go seemingly had the game in hand but quarterback Franks throws an ill advised pass on first down that is intercepted. Miami has the ball on Florida's 25 yard line and in typical Cane fashion proceeds to commit an unsportsmanlike conduct 15 yard mark off which begins a comedy of errors on both sides lasting almost all the rest of the game. Miami, if the ESPN game cast thing is right had a 9 play drive that lasted most of the 4 minutes remaining in the game and because of penalties netted a minus 2 yards if memory serves. Both teams had multiple chances to win if they had just played a clean game. It seems like there were an incredible number of penalties. Between the two teams, I bet there were nearly 20 flags thrown by the Big 12 officiating crew and probably close to 200 yards in penalties. Amazing. Upon further review: It was 225 yards in cumulative penalties. The Gators sacked the Miami quarterback 11 times and had a bunch of tackles for loss. It is rumored that the Big 12 will refuse to provide officiating crews to any more games involving Florida and Miami.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Even if we are fortunate enough to come home winners later this week, we still need to stay sober .
I was with you till the sober thing now you sound like my wife.

My wife said every beer you drink it shortens your life by 2 minutes. I did the math. Seems I died in 1543.

My wife said today that I'm lazy. I nearly answered her.

If I tell my wife I'll fix it, I'll fix it. There is no need to nag me every 6 months about it.

I’m breathing. That’s about it for today’s productivity it's Sunday.

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
If you truly believe, then you have comfort even in the presence of adrenaline. If you have comfort, then you can focus. If you can focus, then you can execute. If you execute, then you will be giving yourself the absolute best chance to win. If we give ourselves the absolute best chance, it might just actually go our way. If that chain of "if"s gets broken at any stage, then we probably have very little chance to win.

I was expecting all that to lead to the Dark Side :LOL:

Good post; we have to convert all this momentum to W's, and an upset on Thursday would be another huge bump in momentum.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Going back to 2000, Tech has pulled four massive upsets against Clemson.

2000 - Tech (unranked) 31, Clemson (#5) 28
2007 - Tech (unranked) 13, Clemson (#12) 3
2011 - Tech (unranked) 31, Clemson (#6) 17
2014 - Tech (#24) 55, Clemson (#8) 31

And they remember it.

2019 - Tech (unranked) ??, Clemson (#1) ??

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Going back to 2000, Tech has pulled four massive upsets against Clemson.

2000 - Tech (unranked) 31, Clemson (#5) 28
2007 - Tech (unranked) 13, Clemson (#12) 3
2011 - Tech (unranked) 31, Clemson (#6) 17
2014 - Tech (#24) 55, Clemson (#8) 31

And they remember it.

2019 - Tech (unranked) ??, Clemson (#1) ??

2014 game was Tech winning 28-6. Clemson was ranked #19 and Tech was ranked #22
"Georgia Tech took a 6–3 lead in the first quarter on an 85-yard interception return from Jamal Golden. In the third quarter, Chris Milton returned an interception 62 yards for a touchdown to give Georgia Tech a 25–6 lead. Georgia Tech won the game 28–6. Georgia Tech's defense limited Clemson's offense to only 190 yards."

the 2013 game was 55-31 but Clemson won that gaame. Clemson was ranked #8 and Tech was obviously not ranked

What last night showed me is that if you start a Freshman who has not played, you get a few moments of brilliance followed my many more of failure. That being said I hope we start Oliver as his experience is going to be worth a lot and I hope we run the ball about 70% of the time against Clemson. If not it may be a very long night.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
2014 game was Tech winning 28-6. Clemson was ranked #19 and Tech was ranked #22
"Georgia Tech took a 6–3 lead in the first quarter on an 85-yard interception return from Jamal Golden. In the third quarter, Chris Milton returned an interception 62 yards for a touchdown to give Georgia Tech a 25–6 lead. Georgia Tech won the game 28–6. Georgia Tech's defense limited Clemson's offense to only 190 yards."

the 2013 game was 55-31 but Clemson won that gaame. Clemson was ranked #8 and Tech was obviously not ranked

Thanks for the correction. 2014 was a big win but not a major upset.

We should take heart in the fact that as an unranked upstart we've knocked off #5, #6, and #12 Clemson since 2000. Great upsets, all of them. Keeping it close this year would be a moral victory.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the correction. 2014 was a big win but not a major upset.

We should take heart in the fact that as an unranked upstart we've knocked off #5, #6, and #12 Clemson since 2000. Great upsets, all of them. Keeping it close this year would be a moral victory.
Clemson was ranked #3 in the AP Poll when Georgia Tech beat them 28-21 in Grant Field in 1984

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Clemson was ranked #3 in the AP Poll when Georgia Tech beat them 28-21 in Grant Field in 1984

Actually, according to the record I see from that year, Clemson was 13 and Tech 18. Still a nice win...bottom line is we've played over our heads in this series lots of times. We're going to have to play WAAYYY over our heads Thursday. Could it be? Could we catch them unawares once again?

I was with you till the sober thing now you sound like my wife.

My wife said every beer you drink it shortens your life by 2 minutes. I did the math. Seems I died in 1543.

My wife said today that I'm lazy. I nearly answered her.

If I tell my wife I'll fix it, I'll fix it. There is no need to nag me every 6 months about it.

I’m breathing. That’s about it for today’s productivity it's Sunday.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Actually, according to the record I see from that year, Clemson was 13 and Tech 18. Still a nice win...bottom line is we've played over our heads in this series lots of times. We're going to have to play WAAYYY over our heads Thursday. Could it be? Could we catch them unawares once again?
Clemson was ranked #3 going into the 1984 Clemson-Georgia Tech game;)

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm always nervous when we are favored to win a nationally televised game...

Oddly and conversely, when we are discounted as not having a snow balls chance in heck to win I can't help but sport a sly smirk...since often that is when we play with poise, focus and intensity...and on occasion pull out an upset...