Why we WILL beat Clemson

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I look back to 2011.

That Clemson team had, imho, better talent then the outfit we will face Thursday. Boyd was just about the best shotgun spread QB I ever saw, Watkins was one of the best WRs in ACC history, and their D was packed with NFL prospects. Yet we beat them. Not only that, but we beat them bad. I was at the game and we should have won by 3 or 4 TDs. I've never been happier at a Tech game!

Can something like that happen on Thursday? Unlikely; in 2011 we had one of those teams that sneak up on people. Could it happen? Yes. I wouldn't be that shocked if we won by say 1 - 3 points. Let's go into this thinking we can win and see what happens.

Let's fire things up a bit:

In 2011, Clemson was undefeated and 8-0 (?) but they were not ready for the triple option. To be honest, I thought they looked a little bit unprepared that night on defense but we played our best game of the year and pulled the upset at a raucous BDS. David Sims played his heart out as did Tevin and the guys up front. I am no t sure that I agree with you about the talent level but with the Tigers talent year to year is only a matter of degree anyway.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We got a shot but we can not go in there wide eyed and in wonder. Just punch them in the mouth on the first play and let them know we came to play. Any thing can happen. That's why I don't bet on college football.

Go Jackets!

Betting on what 18 to 22 year old men are going to do from one week to the next is a fool's errand. I would not bet on them if they were playing a game of jacks.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I remember reading that Auburn head coach Shug Jordan liked coming to Atlanta every year in the 1950s because his wife liked to shop at Lenox Mall:)
The SEC commissioner at the time was trying to smooth over bad feelings between both Mississippi schools and Tech because Dodd refused to go to Starkville and Oxford primarily because of money. At a double header game pitting Tech against Kentucky (?) in the afternoon followed by a night cap of Ole Miss vs. UGA they had a press conference with all four coaches at a table and the SEC commissioner asked Dodd to consider playing Mississippi. Dodd refused saying something like "No hard feelings, Johnny (Johnny Vaught long time Rebels coach) but I can make more money playing "Girls High" at Grant Field than going to Oxford" You can just imagine how that went over. It was all about the money, it always is.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
The SEC commissioner at the time was trying to smooth over bad feelings between both Mississippi schools and Tech because Dodd refused to go to Starkville and Oxford primarily because of money. At a double header game pitting Tech against Kentucky (?) in the afternoon followed by a night cap of Ole Miss vs. UGA they had a press conference with all four coaches at a table and the SEC commissioner asked Dodd to consider playing Mississippi. Dodd refused saying something like "No hard feelings, Johnny (Johnny Vaught long time Rebels coach) but I can make more money playing "Girls High" at Grant Field than going to Oxford" You can just imagine how that went over. It was all about the money, it always is.
Johnny Vaught wanted revenge in the Sugar Bowl but we all know how that went;):smuggrin:

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this. We are going to play the perfect type of defense to get in Trevor's head. He's rarely touched. If we smack him once or twice early, and get a INT, this will be a hell of a game. I think he cracks under pressure. Let's find out and send some fast blitz packages. Get trevor on his @$$ and we have a shot.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
This Miami/Florida game has me thinking. I'm glad we're playing Clemson this early in the season. Early season football is the great equaliser...Florida would win this game handily in November with their talent but they just look flat out rusty -- can't tackle and forgot how to hand/pitch the ball from the QB to the RB. Ugly stuff and could cost them a chance at the CFP in a few months. Maybe Clemson will come out rusty and make some uncharacteristic mistakes.