Why we WILL beat Clemson

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this. We are going to play the perfect type of defense to get in Trevor's head. He's rarely touched. If we smack him once or twice early, and get a INT, this will be a hell of a game. I think he cracks under pressure. Let's find out and send some fast blitz packages. Get trevor on his @$$ and we have a shot.
Wow, I am kind of supervised that no one thought of that (including Bama and Notre Dame) last year?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Last year the clemson line were juniors. Their 1 verses 1 practices were against a bunch of nfl top picks.
If our young guys are to get to him , we will need some inovative schemes.

And that is what I'm saying. I think Collins will bring some serious schemes. We have the TOP D coordinator as a head coach.

As good as our offense was before I think our defense will be top 15 for the next 10 years starting next year and on.

Also, remember the game CJ21 had against Clemson his first year? I think we see that type of game from Knight on the defensive side of the ball. I'm thinking 2 picks and a sack. Kid is going to be special.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember reading that Auburn head coach Shug Jordan liked coming to Atlanta every year in the 1950s because his wife liked to shop at Lenox Mall:)

Might sound nitpicking, but it's "Lenox Square"... not "Lenox Mall" or "Lenox Square Mall". When I was at Tech, we could always tell the people who were not from Atlanta because they always said "Mall". ;)

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Seem to recall a game in 2015 where we were big underdogs and no one thought we had a chance in the world, only to pull off the Miracle on Techwood Drive.

Clemson's last several P5 openers have not been particularly inspiring. They're also going up against a big question mark of an offense - they have no clue who any of the starters are or what the offense will look like. I like to think there are some special packages installed for Tobias to run the midline like he did last year in addition to Lucas and Graham running the regular stuff. When's the last time Clemson practiced for the option I wonder? Probably last year. All those young DL have probably spent next to zero time prepping for an option look. That could probably catch them way off guard.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm always nervous when we are favored to win a nationally televised game...

Oddly and conversely, when we are discounted as not having a snow balls chance in heck to win I can't help but sport a sly smirk...since often that is when we play with poise, focus and intensity...and on occasion pull out an upset...

It's a Georgia Tech tradition (and crapping the field as a big fave).

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
There's no way in hell ACC is going to let us win this game, even if we do. Come on. Opening game on ACCN, conference cash cow against unranked GT?? We might keep it close if we play our a$$es off and they have a poor showing, but win? Refs would intervene, guaranteed.

GT_EE78

Banned
If there's any chance they're looking past us , it's thsi game cuz they have Texas A&M next, possibly the only game this year when they be favored by less than 3 TD's .. I wouldn't bet on that tho

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Actually we lost 11 straight games the 10 in 1981 and to Alabama at home 45-7 the first game in 1982 . 1981 was the first time I got season tickets still think that was when my drinking problem started, but I'm ok with it.
1st game of the season anything can happen.

Alabama beating us 45-7 in '82 was because of '81. Bear Bryant left his starters in and after the game, as Curry complained about running up the score, Bear Bryant quipped, "Don't ever do that again" ... meaning "win".

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Might sound nitpicking, but it's "Lenox Square"... not "Lenox Mall" or "Lenox Square Mall". When I was at Tech, we could always tell the people who were not from Atlanta because they always said "Mall". ;)

Hard to say. I dated girls from Atlanta and they always referred to it as Lenox Mall. It once was open air and had statues of animals on the underside. I think they're still there if you know where to look. It has changed a lot since it opened.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Random thoughts around expectations of two position groups.

Pro - I think our WR are capable of being game changers. When I think of us being true to self in the run game, I see no reason why some combo of Camp, Carter or Brown can't become the same in a way that is impactful against Clemson in game 1 after offseason improvement e.g., Camp manhandling a CB, Carter using length to pull down balls in coverage, Brown using elite speed, etc. Should we expect all of that game 1? No, but I think there's enough clay there to mold it into a match-up problem, no matter the opponent.

Con - I think expectations of our safeties (#1 and #2) are a little too high. Neither has played many meaningful reps, which is usually a recipe for broken coverages. Are they extremely athletic and do they have the potential to turn into high end performers? Absolutely. Are there typically growing pains in early game situations? Yes. Out of position = out of position, no matter how athletic you are. Thankfully they have speed; let's hope they're not so out of position and that they have high end recovery and closing speed.