Why we WILL beat Clemson

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So my gold glasses says we can win. Although I know it’s a long shot. Here’s my more technical reasons we can win.

Our secondary could end up being one of the best in the country which could help stop them from going crazy in the passing game.

We will be pretty exotic and throw the kitchen sink at Clemson’s offense hopefully.

Clayton may get eligibility!

Clemson is pretty young, 53 scholarship players were either redshirted, are sophomores, or freshman, and they have a good bit on defense to replace.

Remember even they even had a 2nd string DL get drafted, so they will be playing what would have been 3rd stringers last year.

They also don’t have any monsters at DT coming from a size stand point and our strong point on the OL is the interior.

On offense they don’t know what to really prepare for I’d imagine.

I think we lose, but due to these reasons the game could be WAY closer than what most think.

Animal02

Banned
So my gold glasses says we can win. Although I know it’s a long shot. Here’s my more technical reasons we can win.

Our secondary could end up being one of the best in the country which could help stop them from going crazy in the passing game.

We will be pretty exotic and throw the kitchen sink at Clemson’s offense hopefully.

Clayton may get eligibility!

Clemson is pretty young, 53 scholarship players were either redshirted, are sophomores, or freshman, and they have a good bit on defense to replace.

Remember even they even had a 2nd string DL get drafted, so they will be playing what would have been 3rd stringers last year.

They also don’t have any monsters at DT coming from a size stand point and our strong point on the OL is the interior.

On offense they don’t know what to really prepare for I’d imagine.

I think we lose, but due to these reasons the game could be WAY closer than what most think.
The entire Clemp team could come down with food poisoning. ;)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think we hang with them in the first half but their depth will wear us down in the second half. I see us a 21 PT loss. I just hope the moment is not too big for our QB's. We have some skill players but they have way more and I think they figure out what our O is doing by the 2nd half.

I think we hang with them in the first half but their depth will wear us down in the second half. I see us a 21 PT loss. I just hope the moment is not too big for our QB's. We have some skill players but they have way more and I think they figure out what our O is doing by the 2nd half.
I'm just hoping we have an O to "figure out". LOL

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
We’re gonna get killed. No shame in getting hammered by a team that’s won two of the last three national championships.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I look back to 2011.

That Clemson team had, imho, better talent then the outfit we will face Thursday. Boyd was just about the best shotgun spread QB I ever saw, Watkins was one of the best WRs in ACC history, and their D was packed with NFL prospects. Yet we beat them. Not only that, but we beat them bad. I was at the game and we should have won by 3 or 4 TDs. I've never been happier at a Tech game!

Can something like that happen on Thursday? Unlikely; in 2011 we had one of those teams that sneak up on people. Could it happen? Yes. I wouldn't be that shocked if we won by say 1 - 3 points. Let's go into this thinking we can win and see what happens.

Let's fire things up a bit:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I look back to 2011.

That Clemson team had, imho, better talent then the outfit we will face Thursday. Boyd was just about the best shotgun spread QB I ever saw, Watkins was one of the best WRs in ACC history, and their D was packed with NFL prospects. Yet we beat them. Not only that, but we beat them bad. I was at the game and we should have won by 3 or 4 TDs. I've never been happier at a Tech game!

Can something like that happen on Thursday? Unlikely; in 2011 we had one of those teams that sneak up on people. Could it happen? Yes. I wouldn't be that shocked if we won by say 1 - 3 points. Let's go into this thinking we can win and see what happens.

Let's fire things up a bit:

We were around a 4 point underdog that year. We are 36 point underdogs this year. Trevor Lawrence > Tahj Boyd. Their talent in general is at a different level now than it was then. Doesn’t mean we can’t win, but this is a significantly steeper hill to climb.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
We were around a 4 point underdog that year. We are 36 point underdogs this year. Trevor Lawrence > Tahj Boyd. Their talent in general is at a different level now than it was then. Doesn’t mean we can’t win, but this is a significantly steeper hill to climb.

Agree. They have an elite talent at QB now, their D talent and coaching is better now, and they have better overall depth now vs then. Clemson has taken it to another level.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We disagree. I agree that Lawrence is a better passer, but I'd put him and Boyd, a better runner, at about the same level overall. I think about the only thing I see that's better in the team this year then in 2011 is depth. There I agree they are better off then they were then, at least on O.

But I have never bought the "Clemson is at a different level" argument. They were good then; they're good now. We'll see if they're all that much better on Thursday.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We disagree. I agree that Lawrence is a better passer, but I'd put him and Boyd, a better runner, at about the same level overall. I think about the only thing I see that's better in the team this year then in 2011 is depth. There I agree they are better off then they were then, at least on O.

But I have never bought the "Clemson is at a different level" argument. They were good then; they're good now. We'll see if they're all that much better on Thursday.

If you fail to recognize that Lawrence is far superior to Boyd, a very good player mind you, then it’s not surprising you fail to see Clemson is playing at a different level now.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It honestly wouldn’t shock me if we won. For some reason everyone thinks Sunshine is invincible. Not that I say we should go after him or anything, but if he went down in Q1 the whole game changes.

That aside, I’m not sure their D is as good as it has been with all the youth. We will see of course.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Real talk, if you don’t think we are going to win on Thursday, why turn the tv on? If our SA’s don’t think they can win, why even travel up to Anderson, SC?

I totally understand how talented Clemson is, and has been. However, a lot of stock and point spreads are being put on 18-22 year old kids. With that age range, anything is possible.

Lastly, what the heck do our boys have to lose on Thursday? Answer: Nothing. That’s a dangerous team to play: a team that’s loose and wants to shock the world.

I love that we play Clemson first game of the season. Advantage: Tech.

#PlayToWin

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
We’re gonna get killed. No shame in getting hammered by a team that’s won two of the last three national championships.
I don't think so. And I'm not going to go back years to reference this game. Let's talk about last year.

We fumbled 8 times! One of those were recovered by Clemson for a TD. So let's say we hold on to the ball more and don't do that. That makes the loss a 21 point loss. We also allowed 21 points in the second. With CGC being a defensive guy, mark my words, that WILL NOT happen this year. Say it's 14. So it's a 14 point loss. I truly believe we get either special teams OR defensive score. Now it's 7. So we scored zero in first last year, so if we score in first it's tied. What I am telling you is under the scenario I just explained, this was a competitive and winnable game.

Is that optimistic? Is that having all the cards fall our way? NO. That my friends is just playing ball. Last year EVERYTHING went wrong that could. This year.... We could be competitive

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't think so. And I'm not going to go back years to reference this game. Let's talk about last year.

We fumbled 8 times! One of those were recovered by Clemson for a TD. So let's say we hold on to the ball more and don't do that. That makes the loss a 21 point loss. We also allowed 21 points in the second. With CGC being a defensive guy, mark my words, that WILL NOT happen this year. Say it's 14. So it's a 14 point loss. I truly believe we get either special teams OR defensive score. Now it's 7. So we scored zero in first last year, so if we score in first it's tied. What I am telling you is under the scenario I just explained, this was a competitive and winnable game.

Is that optimistic? Is that having all the cards fall our way? NO. That my friends is just playing ball. Last year EVERYTHING went wrong that could. This year.... We could be competitive
Bartender I'll have 2 of whatever he is drinking