Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I think their official name is TaylorMade- Adidas golf company. But yes they are owned by Adidas, which is why Adidas clothing ads always show TaylorMade clubs and visa versa. I do think their golf quality doesn't have much to do with what they supply the football and basketball teams. Nike golf doesn't make UGAs football jerseys.
Haha yea I agree their golf brand won't impact our recruiting. I just happen to be a better golfer than football or basketball player. Tech Adidas golf polos would look good on the course.

Russell polos with the Tech logo also look good on the course after bombing a 290 yard tee shot down the pipe. Toot toot.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
image.jpeg
Let's not forget UA has the MLB MVP also in Bryce Harper.

From a shoe standpoint, UA has made major strides. There Speedform shoes (comparable to Nike free) are great, Curry sigs and clutchfit drive series are considered some best shoes in BBall

And if UA can make these stomachable, I'm pretty they would do wonders for us

Troutbum

Georgia Tech Fan
This UA isn't the same UA from 10 years ago.

My son is a 6th grader playing middle school ball. I realized in talking with him that the Nike section is the old man section to them. He came home with a pair of UA high tops (and they were quite nice) telling me that his middle school was an UA team!!

We are well behind the curve with Russell. I think UA would get us more looks from the kids that will be feeding the program for the next decade. Not Nike or Adidas and for goodness sake not Russell

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'd prefer UA. We'd be one of there top tier school. They would put out a ton of apparel online with there own website as well as Eastbay, Finishline, etc. Plus the kids are really into the uniforms they're making as well as shoes . Nike is Nike but we would be just another Nike school. To really make an impact with uniforms or apparel with Nike we need to be a Nike Elite program or sign with Jordan Brand and I can't see that happening. As far as Adidas the unis Louisville and Michigan especially sported this year were absolute garbage. I'm a Nike guy myself but as far as impact in regards to being "cool" and getting something fresh and new UA is the way to go.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think I've mentioned this already, but I was down there a few weeks ago and half the floor of the GT Bookstore's apparel section was Under Armour stuff and it was generally pretty slick stuff.

@Peacone36 you may want to add that to your list of places to visit this coming wknd.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agreed with you both 100% for years and years and years, until ... this:

UGA-Nike-Pro-Combat.jpg

I'll return to supporting Nike over UA if they'd promise never, ever, EVER to do anything like this to us. :wtf::dead::yuck:
What, you don't like the power rangers? How about roller derby? Well, the top is at least a little like a Pez dispenser. You never know what these young whipper snappers are gonna like.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think I've mentioned this already, but I was down there a few weeks ago and half the floor of the GT Bookstore's apparel section was Under Armour stuff and it was generally pretty slick stuff.

@Peacone36 you may want to add that to your list of places to visit this coming wknd.
One big issue I have with GT is our inability to get product out there. I live in Michigan and have to dig deep in the Internet to find any apparel. I know the book store has a lot more than there website shows. Even the rivals shopping site is bad and Tailgaters ally has a huge selection but no website. I know this isn't all on GT but if we switch to UA or Nike it will really help with getting our brand out there as far as apparel goes. Hell if I google Georgia State Nike it'll give me pages of clothing.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
UA's uniforms they've made for Navy has sealed the deal for me. Hopefully tech doesn't wear as many alternates as Navy does but their uniforms have been a HUGE step up from their previous nike ones. Plus Auburn's have looked slick. When UA isn't going for "over the top" they make some mean traditional uniforms.

image.png

7b9682e61becb2d77251df2dd19d5ddb_original.jpg

11445322.jpeg

Milwaukee

Banned
One big issue I have with GT is our inability to get product out there. I live in Michigan and have to dig deep in the Internet to find any apparel. I know the book store has a lot more than there website shows. Even the rivals shopping site is bad and Tailgaters ally has a huge selection but no website. I know this isn't all on GT but if we switch to UA or Nike it will really help with getting our brand out there as far as apparel goes. Hell if I google Georgia State Nike it'll give me pages of clothing.

Same situation here in Milwaukee. The only place I can get good gear is at the bookstore on campus and tailgaters alley. I head down for one home game each year and have to load up on gear to last me til next year.

The bookstore has great selection, but their website is awful for some reason. Tailgaters Alley is the best though, in my experience (their Nike selection is really deep).

Years ago the bookstore had Ralph Lauren officially licensed GT polos and I haven't been able to find them the past few years. If anyone knows where to find one please let me know.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I plan to. Is there a hall of fame or anything in McCamish to visit?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Haha yea I agree their golf brand won't impact our recruiting. I just happen to be a better golfer than football or basketball player. Tech Adidas golf polos would look good on the course.

Russell polos with the Tech logo also look good on the course after bombing a 290 yard tee shot down the pipe. Toot toot.
290?! Geez man what do they put in the water where your from.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Haha. Distance ain't a problem. Where it's going and short game is where I get in trouble. If I had a dollar for every putt I've missed inside 5 feet.
I'm the exact opposite. I usually don't even use my driver because I hate trying to play the fade on it so I'm usually hitting off the Tee with my 3 Hybrid. We play from the Tips in Highschool golf so my 2nd shot is always from a mile away it seems. My 60 Degree through 4 iron is Money though, and that's how I'm able to keep my self in it, I'm shooting in the 41-45 range my sophomore year of Highschool right now but if I could hit the long ball I'd be a scratch golfer.