Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
How, exactly, is this not an NCAA violation (or at least spark some sort of investigation)?

Because it is speculation mostly from people angry that he left and trying to find a shady reason with little to no actual backing. And people forgot that we played that game in the first place to get Carter, taking his AAU coach's son to help land him.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Because it is speculation mostly from people angry that he left and trying to find a shady reason with little to no actual backing. And people forgot that we played that game in the first place to get Carter, taking his AAU coach's son to help land him.

I think Carter left for the reasons he stated, but I also think it was prompted & subsequently steered by his UA-sponsored mentor. Also, we definitely did what you said in taking Pierre Jordan. 100% agree.

I'll also say, as I said then, the fact BG got blindsided like that was among the more unacceptable things that have occurred. I get you can't be with your kids 24/7, but your line of communication should be open enough to have an idea where these kids' heads are at.

Either way, looks like Robert Carter is more likely to be proven right than wrong and I wish him the best.

Nate Anderson

Jolly Good Fellow
Rusell doesn't make replica jerseys like all of the other schools get. To get a Georgia Tech jersey, you have to go to some form of a GT store. Literally I can't even

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
The founder of Under Armour went to Maryland, they get under armour gear like oregon gets nike gear
This is hilarious because everyone is saying they hate Russell uniform designs and we should go with Under Armour. Take a look at the hideous Maryland uniforms designed by UA. Yeah, I know, everyone has personal tastes. But I think we can all agree those things are ugly!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
But I think we can all agree those things are ugly!
Therein lies the problem. Uniform threads get traction, not because you and I agree that those UA uniforms are atrocious, but because somewhere it was determined that "the very best" athletes like that stuff and therefore we are hurting ourselves in recruiting.

Though my feelings are not as strong as some people's I do tend to go with the line of reasoning that says Tech just needs to concentrate on branding and winning. Texas, Alabama, Penn State and others have an identifiable brand and have won enough over the years that people have a mental association with their brand. Oregon's brand, which I think is brilliant, is all about keeping the same motif but going with a peacock array of colors and finishes. It works for them but would not work for 99% of other teams. Oregon was able to build their brand and their winning tradition at the same time and part of their brand is about always appearing new.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Therein lies the problem. Uniform threads get traction, not because you and I agree that those UA uniforms are atrocious, but because somewhere it was determined that "the very best" athletes like that stuff and therefore we are hurting ourselves in recruiting.

Though my feelings are not as strong as some people's I do tend to go with the line of reasoning that says Tech just needs to concentrate on branding and winning. Texas, Alabama, Penn State and others have an identifiable brand and have won enough over the years that people have a mental association with their brand. Oregon's brand, which I think is brilliant, is all about keeping the same motif but going with a peacock array of colors and finishes. It works for them but would not work for 99% of other teams. Oregon was able to build their brand and their winning tradition at the same time and part of their brand is about always appearing new.
Excellent post. Totally agree with you on this.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
When (if) GT football and basketball become perennial Top 10 - 20 teams, out "gear" won't matter.
You can get plenty of GT apparel by various "name brand" manufacturers including Nike and UA.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Russell just doesn't have the connections and pull that the other sports apparel companies do. If we switched to any of the others I believe it would give us a shot at a much broader range of athletes. Having better looking uniforms would just be a byproduct of the switch IMO.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Didn't our (some) of players use them first before Under Armour went public?
Kevin Plank (UA CEO) played football at Maryland under Ross/Fridge. When Plank started UA, the first person he called to pitch his gear was Fridge who, at the time was our OC. So, yes, GT was the first school to sport UA. Not sure why it didn't get anywhere after that but figure the bigwig at Russell probably cut a check big enough to compel the AA to send Kevin for a long walk on a short Plank.

Yes, that was an awful pun.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
This was discussed on the football forum and I found the numbers. If I find that thread again I will just link to it here.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Ironic since GT was the first NCAA school to use Under Armour.
I think this might not be correct. The founder of UA is a Maryland grad and I believe I read somewhere that he used them for all his research and testing. And that's why they get the UA stuff before everyone else.

Edited: well the UA site says he founded the company in 1996. Friedgen came back in 97 to be the OC/QB coach so it could have well been true. Cool. Learn something new every day.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Imagine how well we would have done in 2014 had we worn Nike or Under Armour?!
It seriously would help with recruiting in basketball. Robert Carter left to a UA school. It looks like Jaylen Brown will be signing with an Adidas school. It really has more effect with basketball than football.