Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Meaning we are cheap or they pay more

I'm watching the "Valley" tournament right now, Illinois St has Nike for eff sakes.

GT is like the state of Maine in CBB stuck 10 years behind and unable to adapt and break tradition

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
This has been discussed ad naseam, but the short answer is that someone very high up at Russell (CEO/founder?) is a Tech grad. We are Russell's flag ship school and they pay us more than we could probably get from any other company, which would see us as a second tier priority. I don't know all the specifics, but it looks like we get about $2mil or so per year from Russell. I compared that with NC State for fun and it looks like they get significantly less than that from Adidas.

I would rather have another apparel company, as I am sure would our kids and recruits, but I don't see us changing any time soon.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This has been discussed ad naseam, but the short answer is that someone very high up at Russell (CEO/founder?) is a Tech grad. We are Russell's flag ship school and they pay us more than we could probably get from any other company, which would see us as a second tier priority. I don't know all the specifics, but it looks like we get about $2mil or so per year from Russell. I compared that with NC State for fun and it looks like they get significantly less than that from Adidas.

I would rather have another apparel company, as I am sure would our kids and recruits, but I don't see us changing any time soon.

I didn't know any of that. Appreciate it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying UA won't make a play for us because I think they're making big pushes in everything, but that article is EXTREMELY speculative based on circumstantial evidence.

Well said. Imo, fwiw, that site seems to stir the pot like that fairly regularly.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying UA won't make a play for us because I think they're making big pushes in everything, but that article is EXTREMELY speculative based on circumstantial evidence.

I've heard this rumor for a while now, but this was just the only article I could find about it. Definitely speculative, but I certainly hope it happens

Troutbum

Georgia Tech Fan
I do hope we end up with UA when the Russell deal ends. That's difficult to type as I was always a Nike guy and Adidas/UA was 2nd tier (Still have not purchased one solitary item of Russell gear). However, my sons (age 8 & 10) will not wear Nike, only UA and I believe that holds true for that entire group of young men. I also visited the ND bookstore and saw all the new ND/UA apparel. It was classic and looked top notch.

I believe we would see more Tech gear on the street if we made them move (especially with the youth). Continued Winning and UA would be a smash.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The UA kicks I've seen have been ugly as sin and made of plastic (I haven't seen them all), but agree the ND stuff and uniforms in general have been well done.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The urban legend I've always been told was that when UA first got started, GT was one of the first schools they pitched. However, as has been said, Russell gave us a significantly better deal than all other suitors.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I remember while sitting at BW's watching the GT/Ugag game I over heard a few high school kids say GT must not be any good if they are wearing Russell.. Another one said there uniforms are made by Russell... Point being it's not "cool" to have R on our uniforms.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Someone who knows correct me if I am wrong. I have heard for several years that Tech players often wear UA whether under their uniforms or when working out.