1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by Peacone36, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

I mean , not to be a sheep, but it's an obvious disadvantage.

2. GTRX7

GTRX7 Helluva Engineer

3. Peacone36

Meaning we are cheap or they pay more

I'm watching the "Valley" tournament right now, Illinois St has Nike for eff sakes.

GT is like the state of Maine in CBB stuck 10 years behind and unable to adapt and break tradition

4. GTRX7

GTRX7 Helluva Engineer

This has been discussed ad naseam, but the short answer is that someone very high up at Russell (CEO/founder?) is a Tech grad. We are Russell's flag ship school and they pay us more than we could probably get from any other company, which would see us as a second tier priority. I don't know all the specifics, but it looks like we get about $2mil or so per year from Russell. I compared that with NC State for fun and it looks like they get significantly less than that from Adidas.

I would rather have another apparel company, as I am sure would our kids and recruits, but I don't see us changing any time soon.

Peacone36 likes this.
  5. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

We will make Russell cool

Whiskey_Clear and DCSS like this.
  6. Peacone36

I didn't know any of that. Appreciate it.

7. Stinger90

Stinger90 Helluva Engineer

[​IMG]
    ;)

dtm1997 likes this.
  8. dtm1997

dtm1997 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

I legit belly laughed at this. LOL!

9. McCamish Maniacs

McCamish Maniacs Helluva Engineer

10. dtm1997

McCamish Maniacs likes this.
  11. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

Well said. Imo, fwiw, that site seems to stir the pot like that fairly regularly.

12. McCamish Maniacs

McCamish Maniacs Helluva Engineer

I've heard this rumor for a while now, but this was just the only article I could find about it. Definitely speculative, but I certainly hope it happens

Peacone36 likes this.
  13. Troutbum

Troutbum Georgia Tech Fan

I do hope we end up with UA when the Russell deal ends. That's difficult to type as I was always a Nike guy and Adidas/UA was 2nd tier (Still have not purchased one solitary item of Russell gear). However, my sons (age 8 & 10) will not wear Nike, only UA and I believe that holds true for that entire group of young men. I also visited the ND bookstore and saw all the new ND/UA apparel. It was classic and looked top notch.

I believe we would see more Tech gear on the street if we made them move (especially with the youth). Continued Winning and UA would be a smash.

14. dtm1997

The UA kicks I've seen have been ugly as sin and made of plastic (I haven't seen them all), but agree the ND stuff and uniforms in general have been well done.

15. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

The urban legend I've always been told was that when UA first got started, GT was one of the first schools they pitched. However, as has been said, Russell gave us a significantly better deal than all other suitors.

16. Peacone36

i guess what they say is true.

Money isnt everything.

17. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

I remember while sitting at BW's watching the GT/Ugag game I over heard a few high school kids say GT must not be any good if they are wearing Russell.. Another one said there uniforms are made by Russell... Point being it's not "cool" to have R on our uniforms.

18. GTJackets

GTJackets Helluva Engineer

What? GT isn't cool? Somebody alert the press. We've got a new front page story.

JacketFromUGA and RyanS12 like this.
  19. Northeast Stinger

Northeast Stinger Helluva Engineer

Someone who knows correct me if I am wrong. I have heard for several years that Tech players often wear UA whether under their uniforms or when working out.

20. orientalnc

orientalnc Helluva Engineer

I cannot but into the the argument that our admin is irrational. There has to be a good reason.