Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd just as soon see Russell gone, but the question becomes is the opportunity cost of missing out on AAU ties worth more or less than the cash Russell gives us that gets spread across all programs.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You could make the argument that merchandise from those apparal companies would produce more royalties for us (i assume we get a cut?) and by improving our recruiting we win more games, winning boosts attendance and tournament appearances and blah blah blah.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Right. It's an exercise in opportunity cost and we don't have the numbers to make the decision. MBob & Marvin Lewis will get to run them in 2017, I think.

I'd note that you can get GT licensed apparel from just about everyone, just not official jerseys.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Right. It's an exercise in opportunity cost and we don't have the numbers to make the decision. MBob & Marvin Lewis will get to run them in 2017, I think.

I'd note that you can get GT licensed apparel from just about everyone, just not official jerseys.

This^^

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand it may have been the determining factor in the school that he transferred to, but what are the odds that he would still be at GT if we wore UA? I'm thinking still very low. Wasn't his official excuse something about better preparing for the next level? Yes, I realize he can't come out and say he's transferring because we don't wear UA. Just curious if anyone knew if Russell was the reason he transferred or was UA the reason he chose his destination.

@Eric ?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I understand it may have been the determining factor in the school that he transferred to, but what are the odds that he would still be at GT if we wore UA? I'm thinking still very low. Wasn't his official excuse something about better preparing for the next level? Yes, I realize he can't come out and say he's transferring because we don't wear UA. Just curious if anyone knew if Russell was the reason he transferred or was UA the reason he chose his destination.

@Eric ?

As this year proved out, there was validity to Carter's public reasons for wanting to transfer. That said, the decision to transfer came out of nowhere, was guided by his AAU coach (sponsored by UA's grassroots hoops division) and only took visits to UA-sponsored schools, when, let's be honest, ANY school in the country would be interested in Robert Carter...

Russell wasn't the reason he left, so much as UA would've helped keep him and attract other kids via their grassroots teams.

We're trading off taking Russell's increased dollars for having faith we can sell top kids & their parents entrenched in Nike, Adidas or UA's grassroots system to play for a non-sponsored team. It's definitely possible, but at this point in the cycle, it's difficult without showing winning results.

Troutbum

Georgia Tech Fan
Totally agree with us trying to sell top kids without a major brand. We all know we are swimming upstream given our academic demands. This just seems like an an area where we are adding an additional hurdle.

It would be fun to see our branding go a little more mainstream and watch our coaches (football, basketball, baseball) benefit as result. Hopefully the AD can figure out how to swing it given the Russell funding. My kids may even wear Tech stuff then!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, I'm all for dumping Russell. That honeycomb crap is total garbage, so like 4 of 10 team uniforms are decent looking unless we've got throwbacks on.

Additionally, while I think there are still GT alums in the executive suite there, it's not like it's owned outright by GT alums. Berkshire Hathaway owns them through Fruit of The Loom. It comes down to how much money they're willing to give us, which I think will always be outsized compared to Nike (we don't really add much) or Adidas (they're a clear #2 and I think they're happy there, so the programs they have are enough). UnderArmour could be a wild card when the uniform contract comes up, but depends if they're still in the business of buying market share.

While I haven't found UA's kicks attractive, they're uniforms have been generally nice. The ND hoops unis with the old school look are really slick.

The former Russell owners that were GT grads have either already given what they're going to give to GT or don't have the ties to Russell they once had to prohibit continued giving. If UA offers us anything close to competitive money-wise with Russell, I think you have to run with UnderArmour for the HS connections in hoops & football.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He transferred to MD, and it happens that MD like the other schools of interest is an UnderArmour school. UnderArmour has connections with an influencer in RC's life.

How, exactly, is this not an NCAA violation (or at least spark some sort of investigation)?

In regards to how it influences kid's decisions, I am pretty sure we have a contract with Nike for shoes and UA for the gear under the jerseys. The only different thing that a SA will wear is the logo on the actual uniform. Not sure how being entrenched in a Nike/UA/Adidas program influences that, but then again, I was not a SA. I guess we can just assume that if it is that big of a deal to the S(sic)A's parents, they are being compensated for their loyalty. Again, how is this not an NCAA violation?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Robert Carter left because he thinks he has a shot at the pros as a 3, but he was being forced to play as a 4, and sometimes a 5 at Tech because we had no one better than him at the time at those positions.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Robert Carter left because he thinks he has a shot at the pros as a 3, but he was being forced to play as a 4, and sometimes a 5 at Tech because we had no one better than him at the time at those positions.
Yep. That's a reason and his public statement.

The way the Irish played tonite, looks like his best shot will be to become a highly skilled true stretch 4... like Smotrycz or Layman.