Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Most of these points have been made somewhat, but here's the deal:

We are #1 for Russell. The only other "major" teams they do currently are Ohio, Samford, Western Kentucky, and Southern Miss. The other big thing is the Harlem Globetrotters. They did, however, do all the uniforms for MLB from 92-97 and during the 90s for a number of NFL teams (including the Falcons, Cowboys, 49ers, Packers, Patriots, and Saints).

We would mean much less to other companies like Nike (44 of 65 power 5 teams), and maybe even Adidas (12), and even UA (8). I don't think anyone doubts that Nike could care less about what we look like.

UA could be a good change - You would have to think we'd be more important in the pecking order than Cincy (maybe around even with them), Navy, South Florida, Temple, Boston College, Northwestern, Toledo, Colorado State, Hawaii, and Utah. We'd be behind Maryland, Texas Tech (maybe close to even with them), Notre Dame, Auburn, and South Carolina. For Adidas we'd be even with maybe Louisville (maybe not counting basketball) and NC State, we'd be behind Miami (at least their brand), Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Kansas (if only for basketball).

And let's not forget, WE have just as much control over style as Russell. If WE didn't like a style, we could easily tell Russell that we want something different (or shop around to someone who could do that). Obviously WE (the school) are satisfied with Russell and the look of the uniforms. Otherwise we would seek a change. If we wanted to go with the simple old school look that Mack likes that should be pretty easy to do (remember the jerseys below?). Clearly whoever is in charge at GT likes the more modern look.

So if the thought is "I don't like the way the Russell Jerseys look," ask yourself whether the first jersey below is ok for your taste. Cause it was made by Russell. Clearly they are capable of making whatever jersey we want; it's GT who decides the full look.

2013-georgia-tech-throwback-uniform-620x413.jpg

72798865_display_image.jpg

Tech-uniforms-1999.jpg

RackMultipart.7613.0_display_image.jpg

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Clearly whoever is in charge at GT likes the more modern look.
I agree with you 100%. What worries me is that whoever(s) is (are) in charge thinks that the way to appeal to kids is via a modern look provided by a supplier that the kids have no use for. You can't do it halfway. Your granddad can be drinking the coolest beer, but he's still your granddad.

Milwaukee

Banned
I agree with you 100%. What worries me is that whoever(s) is (are) in charge thinks that the way to appeal to kids is via a modern look provided by a supplier that the kids have no use for. You can't do it halfway. Your granddad can be drinking the coolest beer, but he's still your granddad.

Our Russell unis have gone downhill since the 07 campaign. PJ's first year is when they went to **** and haven't recovered. It's not at all PJ's fault, this is just the circumstances of us, a supposedly big time football program, stuck with Russell Frickin Ahletic.

It's not even funny anymore, it's flat out embarrassing.

Our AD or the entire dept just doesn't get it. They're out-manned, and it shows on the field and on the court. We're seriously lacking leadership and people who get it in the front office. CFB is a business. Love it or hate it, it is.

To be as smart as we claim to be, we're one of the dumbest departments in the country. It's quite an anomaly.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
People need to realize we are under contract with Russell through 2018. When we signed the deal Russell threw (at the time) a lot of money at us and guaranteed new uniforms every year for all sports. Of course with the explosion of UA on the scene Nike and UA both are throwing way more $ out there. As someone mentioned there is a rumor that Russell may get out of collegiate athletics and focus primarily on youth sports in 2017. If that happens we should be free agents on the uniform market. My bet is on UA to make a big play for us since we were the first program to try the UA product.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
After reading this, I just keep asking myself the OP's question; "Why do we stay with RA"

I think I've mentioned this on here previously, but when I worked at Under Armour HQ I met with the head of the school sponsorship division with a presentation to try and convince them to outfit GT (this was in 2012). They mentioned that GT has always been of interest (mainly due to the nostalgia factor) but at that time RA was giving GT way too much free stuff and money and UA wasn't / couldn't afford to give a whole lot in its deals.

That has since changed. Expect UA to be a big player for GT in 2017/2018.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think I've mentioned this on here previously, but when I worked at Under Armour HQ I met with the head of the school sponsorship division with a presentation to try and convince them to outfit GT (this was in 2012). They mentioned that GT has always been of interest (mainly due to the nostalgia factor) but at that time RA was giving GT way too much free stuff and money and UA wasn't / couldn't afford to give a whole lot in its deals.

That has since changed. Expect UA to be a big player for GT in 2017/2018.

So it's your fault then? ;)