Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
It seriously would help with recruiting in basketball. Robert Carter left to a UA school. It looks like Jaylen Brown will be signing with an Adidas school. It really has more effect with basketball than football.
Most definitely more prevent in basketball. They don't really have the equivalent of "AAU" in football so it's harder for them to cast their nets around the athletes. I would like for us to switch to UA or Nike regardless of it they pay the same ammt. It would almost be working the other way around for us though. The Nike/UA partnership may be viewed in a positive light before the school ever makes a recruiting pitch to the kid. Or it can get you in VERY early on the high profile local kids. Basically the positives outweigh the negatives IMO.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I like GT Russell uniforms...If they offer us the most money and best deal for our kids I say stick with them...If is Nike...Adidas..UA...Reebok....whoever brings the most money and best deal for the student athletes should get the contract...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I like GT Russell uniforms...If they offer us the most money and best deal for our kids I say stick with them...If is Nike...Adidas..UA...Reebok....whoever brings the most money and best deal for the student athletes should get the contract...

It's not the "look" that's the problem. It's the size of the stick UA, Nike and Adidas carry in the AAU circles

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I question on UA is their shoe quality. I've owned multiple pairs for different sports and they just aren't the level of the higher end Nike/Adidas shoes. I think their athletic clothing, i.e. not the ones that say 'UA Performance' on the tag but the ones that specify a sport or running, is way better than high end nike pro combat or whatever adidas is calling their stuff now. I think Nike is the best blend of quality on clothes and shoes, but I agree UA is the cooler brand. Adidas has a good niche in the AAU market but i think some of that geography is being taken by UA

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
The only thing I question on UA is their shoe quality. I've owned multiple pairs for different sports and they just aren't the level of the higher end Nike/Adidas shoes. I think their athletic clothing, i.e. not the ones that say 'UA Performance' on the tag but the ones that specify a sport or running, is way better than high end nike pro combat or whatever adidas is calling their stuff now. I think Nike is the best blend of quality on clothes and shoes, but I agree UA is the cooler brand. Adidas has a good niche in the AAU market but i think some of that geography is being taken by UA
Agreed.

Question: if we were to go with UA for unis, can we keep Nike shoes/cleats/gloves?

If not I foresee a potential problem. I have owned nothing but Nike athletic shoes for well over 30 years. Fit perfectly; wear well, even the cheaper models. UA's shoes look like pure plastic. Pretty colors and styles but feet need to breathe.

I'll buy their clothing but not their footwear.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agreed.

Question: if we were to go with UA for unis, can we keep Nike shoes/cleats/gloves?

If not I foresee a potential problem. I have owned nothing but Nike athletic shoes for well over 30 years. Fit perfectly; wear well, even the cheaper models. UA's shoes look like pure plastic. Pretty colors and styles but feet need to breathe.

I'll buy their clothing but not their footwear.

If you were UA, would you allow one of your member schools to wear different shoes? Nope.

I've always been a Nike guy too so I'm biased, but from what I understand, UA has gotten much better. They certainly deal in funky colors/designs but the quality has improved. Again, that's just from what I understand not having ever worn them myself.

Lastly, I've always thought the shoes Curry or any of their other athletes wear are not exactly what's on the shelves for us clowns to buy. Is that not accurate? Just wondering.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'm not taking shoes into account since all the UA teams seem to still wear shoes.

Mine is on quality of uniform design and for what we think GT should be in the design area UA is the best bet.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I vote for nike. I might be biased but they are the only brand that makes my size 15 shoes in a variety of styles. I also like Adidas, and with it, our teams can have some swag like run dmc. but at this point I don't care....anything but Russell. GT's basketball jerseys are pretty cool minus the big awful R logo, and I know from first hand experience it hurts us in recruiting.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Nike please.

I vote for nike. I might be biased but they are the only brand that makes my size 15 shoes in a variety of styles. I also like Adidas, and with it, our teams can have some swag like run dmc. but at this point I don't care....anything but Russell. GT's basketball jerseys are pretty cool minus the big awful R logo, and I know from first hand experience it hurts us in recruiting.
I agreed with you both 100% for years and years and years, until ... this:

UGA-Nike-Pro-Combat.jpg

I'll return to supporting Nike over UA if they'd promise never, ever, EVER to do anything like this to us. :wtf::dead::yuck:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
As a fellow TaylorMade guy. What does that have to do with these three?

Is adidas the parent company of TaylorMade?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
As a fellow TaylorMade guy. What does that have to do with these three?

Is adidas the parent company of TaylorMade?
I think their official name is TaylorMade- Adidas golf company. But yes they are owned by Adidas, which is why Adidas clothing ads always show TaylorMade clubs and visa versa. I do think their golf quality doesn't have much to do with what they supply the football and basketball teams. Nike golf doesn't make UGAs football jerseys.