Who do we hire?

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It is hard to realize, but there are some people who do not see coaching at Ga Tech as a dream job. If you have your team in the NCAA Tournament year after year, maybe even made it deep into the tournament, what kind of inducement, other than a bigger wheelbarrow full of money, is going to lure you to a place that has not been to the dance in years and has a hard nose admissions office that looks at kids' transcripts with a huge magnifying glass?

Smart, Stevens, Marshall, and perhaps several others, are comfortable enough where they are, and rewarded sufficiently in those places, that there is nothing within our means to offer them.

A bit too strong, imo. Doesn't need to be a dream job to be a big step up. We are in a great, if not the best, conference, with a fantastic new stadium and practice facility, in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the country that also serves as a recruiting hotbed. If you think all we have to offer is money, then frankly I'm surprised you are a GT fan. The ACC alone is a huge draw, not counting our fabulous city. For Stevens, sure there is no way. But for someone who lived in the south almost their whole life and now lives in Wichita? Seems like a no brainer.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
McKillop is also older than baseball. Why would we even consider someone who could retire in 2 seasons?

In dtm's defense, his inclusion of McKillop on his list is more of a nod to the great job's he's done there. We know he's not a realistic option since the court at Davidson is named for him.

In general, the "old" guys on folks' lists are there because they'd do a good job and it could be preferable to have one of them rather than going with a younger guy who may not be a good fit. Kinda like put the program in the hands of a good caretaker while we wait for a better coaching prospect to materialize. JMHO

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd prefer to go the young, hungry coach, but would be thrilled to land McKillop in a Larranaga type move. Give him a chance to cash in while coaching against HOFers, continue the rebuild of our culture while instilling better coached basketball.

Our job is not a no-brainder to Marshall because there isn't a $3MM/year salary attached to it. All of your other points are valid reasons the job should be very attractive, but it doesn't preclude us from paying a market rate to get a quality coach.

Howland is an excellent coach. I'm not disputing that, but the UCLA teams at the end of his run had serious problems and a couple of years removed from them hasn't removed the stigma for me, personally. Will I back him if hired? Absolutely. I don't want our gig to be the proving ground for him to show he's changed course.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Can we hire 2 straight Dayton coaches? I read awesome things about Archie Miller, but how would that read to the uninformed masses?

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
We'd have to inform them he's a pretty damn good coach.

Meanwhile, Jeff Schulz just put out a piece to make us all vomit.

http://jeffschultz.blog.ajc.com/201...n-brian-gregory-tougher-than-you-might-think/
That's the point-counterpoint thing he and Bradley do sometimes. Means nothing.

BTW. Gregory and cleaning up the off-the-court mess... What off-the-court trouble did Hewitt have? I don't recall anything. I thought Hewitt was pretty good there. Am I not properly remembering his tenure? Why don't the media call Gregory on the DUIs and shooting troubles.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A bit too strong, imo. Doesn't need to be a dream job to be a big step up. We are in a great, if not the best, conference, with a fantastic new stadium and practice facility, in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the country that also serves as a recruiting hotbed. If you think all we have to offer is money, then frankly I'm surprised you are a GT fan. The ACC alone is a huge draw, not counting our fabulous city. For Stevens, sure there is no way. But for someone who lived in the south almost their whole life and now lives in Wichita? Seems like a no brainer.
If it were me coaching at Wichita, it would certainly be a no-brainer. But, even as a lifelong Tech man, I do not miss living in Atlanta. I grew up in Atlanta and lived most of my life there. If you like not having to drive in dense traffic to get home to spend time with your family, a small city like Wichita might be just about right.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's the point-counterpoint thing he and Bradley do sometimes. Means nothing.

BTW. Gregory and cleaning up the off-the-court mess... What off-the-court trouble did Hewitt have? I don't recall anything. I thought Hewitt was pretty good there. Am I not properly remembering his tenure? Why don't the media call Gregory on the DUIs and shooting troubles.
The academic stuff, as far as I'm aware of.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
$650k isn't $7million. It's not the financial handcuff of the previous situation. To me that is a non issue

Pretty much this. If the article's suggesting money will keep BG here then it just shows how uninformed they are IMHO.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Schultz is being an idiot. We are the worst team in the ACC. We can't keep kicking this can down the road and blame it on finances. There are plenty of good coaches at smaller schools that would love a pay raise to coach at a place like GT.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Again, if we keep this guy and he struggles putting together an impact class for 16, you might as well close down McCamish and play on the courts at the practice facility because you aren't going to have fans in 2 years.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
If it were me coaching at Wichita, it would certainly be a no-brainer. But, even as a lifelong Tech man, I do not miss living in Atlanta. I grew up in Atlanta and lived most of my life there. If you like not having to drive in dense traffic to get home to spend time with your family, a small city like Wichita might be just about right.

In discussing Marshall, it has to be taken into account that he has already turned down offers from a number of major conference schools, including the ACC's own NC State. Given that, the argument that he would certainly jump at any decent job in the ACC just to get out of Wichita rings hollow:
Warning to schools interested in Gregg Marshall: It won’t be easy to pry him from Wichita State

slugboy

Staff member
Schultz and Bradley are also saying the established coach that BG beat four years in a row has his team going in the right direction and deserves an extension. SMH.

Although, it's probably good to keep a beatable coach in Athens.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Schultz and Bradley are also saying the established coach that BG beat four years in a row has his team going in the right direction and deserves an extension. SMH.

Although, it's probably good to keep a beatable coach in Athens.

That dog won't hunt. UGA is 20-10 and a bubble team. 1 win a year matters very little in the grand scheme of things when you only win 11 others while the other team goes on to flourish.

Mark Fox is a better coach and recruiter than CBG.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Schultz is being an idiot. We are the worst team in the ACC. We can't keep kicking this can down the road and blame it on finances. There are plenty of good coaches at smaller schools that would love a pay raise to coach at a place like GT.

Honestly, the Schultz article wasn't that bad. His biggest point is that it may come down to money. If a big donor doesn't step up, we will in fact have to pay three coaches at the same time. If that means we have to go out and hire another retread bargain hire, why not just stick with Gregory? A few of us on here have basically said the same thing. In the end, whatever names we throw around on this board, this will ultimately be a financial decision for MBob.

That said, I am hopeful that we have a big donor or two step up. More than that though, I think there are a group of promising up-and-coming names that we could get on the relatively cheap. I don't think we need to break the bank to get a Shaka Smart in order to upgrade our coach and reinvigorate interest in the program. I did not feel the same the last time around. If Schultz is guilty of anything, it is probably not being aware of Tech's options. Had this been four years ago, I might be inclined to almost agree with this article. Given our financials, if you were the AD, would you fire Gregory just to pick up Chris Mooney? I wouldn't. Thankfully, that is not our choice this time around.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That dog won't hunt. UGA is 20-10 and a bubble team. 1 win a year matters very little in the grand scheme of things when you only win 11 others while the other team goes on to flourish.

Mark Fox is a better coach and recruiter than CBG.

I want to disagree so bad *gah* but I can't. Thanks for ruining my day, Peac.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
If this comes down to a financial decision, MBob will have a bigger financial issue a year or two from now when you can count the number of people in the stands (at least GT people) on your fingers and toes.

I'm certain that CBG won't be back next year, at least in my mind, cause I can't fathom another year of this.