Who do we hire?

megatron

Jolly Good Fellow
Under the assumption that we do fire Gregory (we have to, right?!), who do you want us to hire to replace him to rebuild the program?

I'm hoping for Gregg Marshall, but think Shaka Smart might actually be our most likely high-end hire.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I want a young African American coach, who is a beast on the recruiting trail, can relate to the parents and kids and runs a get the ball and go, fast break offense. The hard part is who in the world fits my description. The only person who barely comes to mind is Shaka Smart. Anyone else know someone? If I can't get that wish I hope to get Mark Price. Also have him bring in Dennis Scott and Kenny Anderson. They would be able to recruit like bada$$'s. We would have a squad full of shooters and actually be able to hit free throws. Finally, the person I think we hire, Chris Mack. He doesn't bother nor excite me. Could be worse....I do believe that he can do better than Gregory tho(not saying much) .

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"In just his first three seasons at the helm of the Georgia State program, Ron Hunter has restored it to national prominence, averaging more than 20 wins per year and making a pair of postseason appearances. In three years, Hunter has led the program to 62 wins, including two of the three best seasons in program history."

Just a nominee. But worth a look. Best coach in Georgia as of today.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You can cross names like Smart and Marshall off the list IMO.

Sad/true.

@ChasonBaller I agree with your premise but I'd say it doesn't have to be a black dude. Plenty of our Caucasian bruthas relate to high-end recruits too. ;) I roundly disagree with the former GT players. None have a HC pedigree. You won't find a bigger KA fan than me but he just doesn't belong anywhere near the program in a leadership capacity at this point in his life.

Smart is adamant about not leaving his guys. I recall reading a story (I think was posted here) about how his college coach was a father figure and left for a better job and how that scarred him.

Chris Mack has risen to the top of my personal top 5 (which is still in flux). I'm even desperate enough to be open to Pastner if for no other reason than to restock the shelves.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
"In just his first three seasons at the helm of the Georgia State program, Ron Hunter has restored it to national prominence, averaging more than 20 wins per year and making a pair of postseason appearances. In three years, Hunter has led the program to 62 wins, including two of the three best seasons in program history."

Just a nominee. But worth a look. Best coach in Georgia as of today.

Agree he's the best college coach in Georgia. Budenholzer shifted in his seat when he read your post. His kids were at the UNC game in GT gear so maybe we have a shot at him. o_O

If he'd starred for Oklahoma St would you even consider him as our HC?

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Ron Hunter would be fine too, even tho he does recruit a lot of transfers like Gregory....probably not his preferred choice but the way it played out. I can see him leaving after this year especially if they make the tourny(I hope they do) and if RJ Hunter, his kid, enters the draft. He is projected as a mid to late 1st round pick at the moment.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Mark Price is an assistant in the league who has almost no interest in recruiting. Say he comes here (with zero head coaching experience) and doesnt pull us out of this pit that currently represents Rambos residence in Rambo III.

Who in the hell wants to fire Mark Price from GTech?

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Sad/true.

@ChasonBaller I agree with your premise but I'd say it doesn't have to be a black dude. Plenty of our Caucasian bruthas relate to high-end recruits too. ;) I roundly disagree with the former GT players. None have a HC pedigree. You won't find a bigger KA fan than me but he just doesn't belong anywhere near the program in a leadership capacity at this point in his life.

Smart is adamant about not leaving his guys. I recall reading a story (I think was posted here) about how his college coach was a father figure and left for a better job and how that scarred him.

Chris Mack has risen to the top of my personal top 5 (which is still in flux). I'm even desperate enough to be open to Pastner if for no other reason than to restock the shelves.
I believe that Price has had enough playing and assistant coaching experience to get a chance at head coach. And for Kenny, I'm not suggesting him being a coach right away. He needs to start off in a Joe Hamilton type role, then work his way up.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The top 5 which is also always in flux

1-Ben Howland (Unlikely)
2-Chris Mack
3-Mike White
4-Steve Prohm
5-Archie Miller

You are not going to get Smart, Marshall, Jay Wright, etc.

Dark horse candidate...........Brad Underwood.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Price wouldn't have to be a recruiting warrior, especially if he doesn't like it. He can bring in assistants who love the process and are good at it. So it allows him to focus on the game.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
The top 5 which is also always in flux

1-Ben Howland (Unlikely)
2-Chris Mack
3-Mike White
4-Steve Prohm
5-Archie Miller

You are not going to get Smart, Marshall, Jay Wright, etc.

Dark horse candidate...........Brad Underwood.
I would like Ben Howland for the recruiting and defense aspect....but his offense is similar to Gregory's and the play style is the same. What makes you think he could be successful at GT? P.S. if he makes changes on his offensive philosophy i would be ALL for the hire.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The fact that he can recruit good players(Jordan Adams, Tony Parker from GA) to put in that offense and he went to 3 straight final fours at UCLA . All that nonsense of course happened after he pulled Pitt from the flames of its own dumpster fire.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
You want a head coach who isnt focused on recruiting we might as well keep CBG.
Except he would teach them how to actually score, make a jump shot, and the hardest of them all....a free throw. Gregory has done none of it. If Mark Price can make Marvin Williams (one of the top 10 biggest busts ever) a respectable shooter, he can fix/teach anyone. There is a reason why nba players fly in and pay him ridiculous amounts of money for shooting lessons at Suwanee Sports Academy

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I believe that Price has had enough playing and assistant coaching experience to get a chance at head coach. And for Kenny, I'm not suggesting him being a coach right away. He needs to start off in a Joe Hamilton type role, then work his way up.

There are very few great coaches that were also great players. IMHO what made them great players isn't something that can be taught/conveyed to guys who aren't as talented as they were. Sounds ridiculous but history's on my side.

Price has been a shooting consultant for a long time and has only been an actual assistant for like 2 years. He appears to want to be fast-tracked to a HC position and, as has been said, isn't fond of recruiting (allegedly). That's a recipe for disaster. We need a recruiting demon far greater than an X's and O's guy. I'd rather do the opposite of what you suggested and hire a HC that recruits and some assistants to handle the X's and O's. Worked out fine the last time we had that setup.