Who do we hire?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For the purpose of consolidation, here's my list. Removed Jay Wright & Mike Rhoades & added Michael White. Added a couple more Hell Nos.

Proven Winner:
Bob McKillop, Davidson
Steve Prohm, Murray State
Archie Miller, Dayton
Chris Mack, Xavier
Michael White, LA Tech

Maybe, maybe not:
Tommy Amaker, Harvard
Bob Huffman, Mercer
Ron Hunter, GA State
Tim Cluess, Iona

Just for kicks, but unlikely:
Tom Crean, Indiana
Tim Miles, Nebraska
Lon Kruger, Oklahoma

Up & Comer:
Will Wade, Chattanooga

Hell No:
Josh Pastner, Memphis
Frank Haith, Tulsa
Chris Mooney, Richmond
Steve Lavin, St. John's
Oliver Purnell, DePaul
Kevin Willard, Seton Hall
Rick Barnes, Texas
Ben Howland
Any other Coach K Disciple

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Beautiful..was hoping you would move it over..

What are your thoughts on Hurley (either one)?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@connell62 Dan Hurley has potential, but I think he's best off in the Northeast and people are touting his rebuilding jobs at Wagner & Rhode Island. Well, there's another rebuilding job about to open that he'd be ideally suited for in the Big East.

I want nothing to do with Bobby Hurley. My hate for dook runs that deep. Only reason I'd even consider Amaker is that he's succeeding at a high academic school and could bring Chris Lewis with him.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I think this head coaching search may come down to who's the most interested and how strong we feel this year's class of available coaches is. If Mbob feels that none of the interested candidates r of the caliber he thinks GT deserves.. We may hire an older coach who's a proven winner and could make the turnaround quicker than quick... but might not stay around very long

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Mark price has to be considered we are going to be paying for 2 coaches and won't be able to pay a lot of the coaches mentioned

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mark price has to be considered we are going to be paying for 2 coaches and won't be able to pay a lot of the coaches mentioned
Is there some reason to believe Mark Price is leaving a high paying assistant's job in the NBA?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
virginia seemed to find a good coach? or is that all smoke n mirrors? i dont follow bb like i used to so i am not familiar with that situation.

surely there is another young bobby cremins out there waiting to coach a u like gt university hehe.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hasn't Mark Price said this is his dream job in the past?
He received a courtesy interview for a plan involving him & Craig Neal as co-head coaches.

I've never read that anywhere on record that GT head coach is his dream job.

Mark Price is simultaneously the perfect candidate and the scariest candidate. For every reason you'd want to hire him, there are multiple question marks, the biggest of which is how do you fire a legend if he doesn't get results?

I'll let everyone else rehash the actual pros & cons. There are many of both.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
virginia seemed to find a good coach? or is that all smoke n mirrors? i dont follow bb like i used to so i am not familiar with that situation.

surely there is another young bobby cremins out there waiting to coach a u like gt university hehe.

UVA hired a phenomenal coach that is 100% legit.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
My favorite coach is Anybody Not Named Brian Gregory. I think we could hire 4-5 HS head coaches in Atlanta and have a better team next year.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow

You don't win the ACC 2 years in a row with smoke and mirrors.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It is hard to realize, but there are some people who do not see coaching at Ga Tech as a dream job. If you have your team in the NCAA Tournament year after year, maybe even made it deep into the tournament, what kind of inducement, other than a bigger wheelbarrow full of money, is going to lure you to a place that has not been to the dance in years and has a hard nose admissions office that looks at kids' transcripts with a huge magnifying glass?

Smart, Stevens, Marshall, and perhaps several others, are comfortable enough where they are, and rewarded sufficiently in those places, that there is nothing within our means to offer them. That is why I refuse to spend any energy thinking about those guys. Howland wants to coach again. He was a good coach and magnetic recruiter who probably made some mistakes monitoring his kids. If those mistakes are minor enough for Bobinski to overlook, then he is my first choice. I have Prohm, White, Mack, and Miller, in no particular order, right behind. I also have, in the wings, a secret desire for us to consider Drew Bryce, but he might see the GT job as a stepping stone to coaching at IU or the Pacers.

I think we will know in a few days if there will be a search. An offer could be made to Howland or Prohm right now, but I would guess Bobinski will want to discover interest from a number of candidates before a decision is made. That said, the sooner this is concluded the quicker the new coach can hit the recruiting trail (perhaps to visit Wheeler High School).

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
For the purpose of consolidation, here's my list. Removed Jay Wright & Mike Rhoades & added Michael White. Added a couple more Hell Nos.

Proven Winner:
Bob McKillop, Davidson

McKillop is also older than baseball. Why would we even consider someone who could retire in 2 seasons?