Who do we hire?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The fact that he can recruit good players(Jordan Adams, Tony Parker from GA) to put in that offense and he went to 3 straight final fours at UCLA . All that nonsense of course happened after he pulled Pitt from the flames of its own dumpster fire.

Can't lie, I was dead set against Howland after reading about the nonsense he had going on right before the end at UCLA. Funny thing is, even with an obvious cancer on the team, he still pulled in consistent top 5 classes. No other attainable name can come here and go toe-to-toe with the HOF coaches in the ACC.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
That does make sense. Because when Hewitt was here, he was able to recruit and had assistants do the X's and O's. Once the assistants started leaving for HC jobs, he started to slip.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
How hard can it be to recruit at UCLA? The campus and girls sell itself. Was Howland able to land any players while at Pitt? (not old enough to remember). My family actually knows Jordan Adams dad, and we talked about the UCLA decision.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
How hard can it be to recruit at UCLA? The campus and girls sell itself. Was Howland able to land any players while at Pitt? (not old enough to remember). My family actually knows Jordan Adams dad, and we talked about the UCLA decision.

Well, you should ask USC that question.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Does anyone know what big recruits he got while at Pitt? I was too little then to know....he had to of had a decent team to get the UCLA job. right?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had a boss once at BellSouth who was trying to hire a new departmental assistant. He was only interviewing women. The word escaped that he had hired someone and everyone (all guys) wanted to know, "What does she look like?" His response was, "She looks like she can do the job." That is what I want from our new coach. I don't really care who it is.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The fact that Mark Price was a NBA all star should help sell kids... Right?

Worked for Isaiah Thomas at FAU (or whatever it was)?

Does anyone know what big recruits he got while at Pitt? I was too little then to know....he had to of had a decent team to get the UCLA job. right?

Didn't have 'name' guys. Just had really good teams. Like top 5 teams about 2 years in a row before going to UCLA.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
The top 5 which is also always in flux

1-Ben Howland (Unlikely)
2-Chris Mack
3-Mike White
4-Steve Prohm
5-Archie Miller

You are not going to get Smart, Marshall, Jay Wright, etc.

Dark horse candidate...........Brad Underwood.

My top 5 is fairly similar:

1-Ben Howland
2-Chris Mack
3-Archie Miller
4-Steve Prohm
5-Mike White

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hopefully this isn't to premature, but seems all but official now. Since we're now in the market for a new leader, I thought I'd create a list to consolidate or streamline info on the search for the next head coach of our beloved hoops program.

Names mentioned here previously:

Craig Neal 50 New Mexico 41-17 2
Brad Underwood 51 Stephen F Austin 52-7 2
Archie Miller 36 Dayton 82-43 4
Mike White 37 La Tech 94-37 4
Steve Prohm 40 Murray St 96-27 4
Shaka Smart 37 VCU 155-52 6
Josh Pastner 37 Memphis 145-56 6
Chris Mack 45 Xavier 120-63 6
Ben Jacobson 44 N Iowa 189-103 10
Gregg Marshall 51 Wichita St 391-157
Tommy Amaker 49 SH/MI/Har 325-213 18
Ben Howland 57 UCLA 399-208 19
Bob McKillop 64 Davidson 489-297 26

Bold are names that have come up most often.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Other names of coaches that will be considered for high-major jobs - Discuss

As much as I hated his ***, Bobby Hurley intrigues me.

- Great coaching pedigree
- success at highest level as a player
- Young enough to relate and sell program