Who do we hire?

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
I want a young African American coach, who is a beast on the recruiting trail, can relate to the parents and kids and runs a get the ball and go, fast break offense. The hard part is who in the world fits my description. The only person who barely comes to mind is Shaka Smart. Anyone else know someone? If I can't get that wish I hope to get Mark Price. Also have him bring in Dennis Scott and Kenny Anderson. They would be able to recruit like bada$$'s. We would have a squad full of shooters and actually be able to hit free throws. Finally, the person I think we hire, Chris Mack. He doesn't bother nor excite me. Could be worse....I do believe that he can do better than Gregory tho(not saying much) .
Kenny Anderson could go up to NY where all the kids would know him and recruit the Kenny Andersons

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Kenny Anderson could go up to NY where all the kids would know him and recruit the Kenny Andersons

There aren't anymore Kenny Anderson-esque players in NY. Maybe Kyme Irving but he's a NJ kid by way of Australia. IIRC he did actually consider (loosely) GT under the prior regime.

I'm hard on KA because of his poor life choices but @ChasonBaller made a great point that he could be brought in as a Joe Ham type and be a great advocate for the program.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Today might be the last day for you guys too. Not sure if I should wish you good luck or bad luck against Fordham.
It doesn't matter. It would probably take a miracle run all the way to the 2nd round of the NCAA's to retain Hewitt at this point. His poor family had to sit next to people wearing "Fire Hewitt" shirts the other night. He gets booed during introductions at home games. It's a toxic scene.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sooo..... When do we find out for sure if CBG is out and we are definitely looking? Or did I miss this already?
It appears likely we won't get official word for several days, but two other message boards have either confirmed it will happen or that we should hear news that won't surprise anyone regarding BG.

Meanwhile, with regard to one of the candidates proposed here...

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Why would Josh Pastner be a hell no? I'd take him in a heartbeat. 37 years old, 148–58 record at Memphis. This is his worst year and they're 18-12.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Why would Josh Pastner be a hell no? I'd take him in a heartbeat. 37 years old, 148–58 record at Memphis. This is his worst year and they're 18-12.
I think some are afraid of his recruiting getting us on probation or something of the like.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Great in the regular season. Possibly the best recruiter in the country. Never gotten out of the first weekend of the tournament. IMHO Pitino, K, Boeheim, Bennett, Buzz and even Roy would chew him up.

I also have a hard time thinking they would fire him, and he probably wouldnt leave Memphis to come here.

IMHO Crean, Pastner and Ford are safe. Crean might be nervous though. If Brad Stevens is fired by the Celts next year, TC may start sweating.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
There aren't anymore Kenny Anderson-esque players in NY. Maybe Kyme Irving but he's a NJ kid by way of Australia. IIRC he did actually consider (loosely) GT under the prior regime.

I'm hard on KA because of his poor life choices but @ChasonBaller made a great point that he could be brought in as a Joe Ham type and be a great advocate for the program.

Chibbs was the cover boy for an article in SLAM recently where they talked about the NY PG fraternity. Most NYPG's were tough, magician like ball handlers. After the NBA passed by guys like God Shammgod, Eric Barkley, Omar Cook there was very little success for NY PG in the league. Currently I think there is only 1 starting PG in the NBA that hails from NYC and for the life of me I cant remember which one it is.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Great in the regular season. Possibly the best recruiter in the country. Never gotten out of the first weekend of the tournament. IMHO Pitino, K, Boeheim, Bennett, Buzz and even Roy would chew him up.

I also have a hard time thinking they would fire him, and he probably wouldnt leave Memphis to come here.

IMHO Crean, Pastner and Ford are safe. Crean might be nervous though. If Brad Stevens is fired by the Celts next year, TC may start sweating.

Agree on Pastner. He's white-Hewitt IMHO (no offense intended, I just think they're in the same vein as coaches). He'll need to out-talent guys. Will work most nights but not every night and on some nights it'll be really bad.

Crean/Ford/Pastner are in the 'get out before the reaper' category. Will probably be safe but sense their welcome wearing thin.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Chibbs was the cover boy for an article in SLAM recently where they talked about the NY PG fraternity. Most NYPG's were tough, magician like ball handlers. After the NBA passed by guys like God Shammgod, Eric Barkley, Omar Cook there was very little success for NY PG in the league. Currently I think there is only 1 starting PG in the NBA that hails from NYC and for the life of me I cant remember which one it is.

Kemba Walker (who's vastly over-rated if you ask me. Crap now all the HorCat fans are gonna be gunnin' for me)