Who do we hire?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Where do you get this? I think it's pretty common? Matt Doherty happened before Roy Williams for example.

Every job that comes open we always have a large portion of fans suggest former GT players or alumni.

Some were wanting George Godsey as next HC...when it was mentioned Bryan Cook could be leaving before last season...some wanted Tevin Washington as QB Coach.

Everytime the BBall job is mentioned people always want Price and Noodles...and Kenny Anderson.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I would like Ben Howland for the recruiting and defense aspect....but his offense is similar to Gregory's and the play style is the same. What makes you think he could be successful at GT? P.S. if he makes changes on his offensive philosophy i would be ALL for the hire.
I want Ben Howland as far away from our program as possible. Asa UCLA fan I was all in on him after those first few years, but he pretty much burned all his bridges with SoCal recruits and had zero control over his players on campus.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Where do you get this? I think it's pretty common? Matt Doherty happened before Roy Williams for example.

It certainly happens at many places. Check Michigan's fall in football for example.

However, as E stated, it happens in bball and fball here. Plus, I don't think the fans who call for it really even think through how little sense it makes. It's like "oh, he went to Tech, I don't need to see anything else". Fortunately the AD's aren't fixated on it as much as fans are.

As of today, we don't have any alum who are qualified to be GT's head coach in either sport other than Wisenhunt and he probably doesn't want it. To hire any of the others would be akin to Michigan's nightmare of shoehorning a guy into the job just for the chance of saying we have a "Tech-man" in charge.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I want Ben Howland as far away from our program as possible. Asa UCLA fan I was all in on him after those first few years, but he pretty much burned all his bridges with SoCal recruits and had zero control over his players on campus.

I'd like to hear more. All we really know is what was in the SI article. How'd he burn bridges in SoCal and what were his players doing behavior/academics-wise? I was under the impression that it was just the one guy who's name escapes me.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Tom Crean has about a $12 million buyout until the end of next season. Gregg Marshall is well paid and is from Kansas, so he isn't going anywhere. I am not a fan of Pastner and I suspect he is a shady recruiter since he learned from Coach Cal.

Shaka would win the press conference. I like Archie Miller because of his bro and his dad and his ACC ties, although those aren't great reasons to hire him.

What about Richard Pitino? No one seems to be talking about him. he worked for Tom Herrion at CoC. Learned to recruit from the best in Pitino and Donavan. Bet he would love to play his dad every year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Every job that comes open we always have a large portion of fans suggest former GT players or alumni.

Some were wanting George Godsey as next HC...when it was mentioned Bryan Cook could be leaving before last season...some wanted Tevin Washington as QB Coach.

Everytime the BBall job is mentioned people always want Price and Noodles...and Kenny Anderson.

I don't dispute this. I just think it happens all over. I'm wondering how you say GT more than anywhere else.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I don't dispute this. I just think it happens all over. I'm wondering how you say GT more than anywhere else.

I've never seen another teams message board where every job that comes open that a former almuni or player is mentioned every time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Tom Crean has about a $12 million buyout until the end of next season. Gregg Marshall is well paid and is from Kansas, so he isn't going anywhere. I am not a fan of Pastner and I suspect he is a shady recruiter since he learned from Coach Cal.

Shaka would win the press conference. I like Archie Miller because of his bro and his dad and his ACC ties, although those aren't great reasons to hire him.

What about Richard Pitino? No one seems to be talking about him. he worked for Tom Herrion at CoC. Learned to recruit from the best in Pitino and Donavan. Bet he would love to play his dad every year.

Yeah, I brought up Pitino the Younger a long time ago but didn't think he appeared ready. He's recruited ok and his MN team appears to be pretty good offensively (better than us for sure), but they've had kind of a middling season.

Would take MBob betting on the come. Can you imagine the ESPN coverage of the dad vs son matchups?

Now that I think of it, I'm putting him back on the list. Hey, somebody's gonna take a chance on the kid.

Lastly, I thought Marshall was from SCarolina? Either way, he's turned down both Clem and SCar so your point stands. He ain't leaving Kansas.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've never seen another teams message board where every job that comes open that a former almuni or player is mentioned every time.
For this potential opening I have not heard Spider Salley mentioned, but Price, Neal, Anderson, and Barry have all been mentioned. None except Neal has any HC experience.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Admittedly, I think Jarrett Jack will be a helluva coach if he wants to be.... in like 5-10 years.

I think he mentioned one of the reasons he came back for his degree was so that he could coach. Me and my friends have discussed getting him on the staff once his NBA career is over