Who do we hire?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Thanks guys, makes a lot of sense about Pastner. I knew he was an assistant under Cal but didn't know he had concerns regarding his recruiting practices and isn't an Xs and Os coach. I saw a special on him once and he seemed really intelligent, motivated, and likable. Guess he pulled the wool over my eyes like he's been doing with his recruits!

Edit: Also, I think both Hurley's will stay put for at least another year. Buffalo has had a good season and will be even better next year. I can't see any head coaching jobs on the horizon this offseason that would make them jump ship now when their stock will likely be a lot higher next year. Their programs are on the verge of VCU/Butler in my opinion.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In discussing Marshall, it has to be taken into account that he has already turned down offers from a number of major conference schools, including the ACC's own NC State. Given that, the argument that he would certainly jump at any decent job in the ACC just to get out of Wichita rings hollow:
Warning to schools interested in Gregg Marshall: It won’t be easy to pry him from Wichita State

Wait a minute - NC state is a decent job? You are the third best basketball team within 20 miles. Coaching at NC state has gotta be one of the worst jobs in the conference, in front of maybe Vt, climpson, fsu. Certainly rather coach at places like UVA, gt, or BC. ACC isn't the only factor. You also have to consider the school, facilities, and recruiting. Ncsu may have the toughest recruiting of any bball school in our conference due to the local competition

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wait a minute - NC state is a decent job? You are the third best basketball team within 20 miles. Coaching at NC state has gotta be one of the worst jobs in the conference, in front of maybe Vt, climpson, fsu. Certainly rather coach at places like UVA, gt, or BC. ACC isn't the only factor. You also have to consider the school, facilities, and recruiting. Ncsu may have the toughest recruiting of any bball school in our conference due to the local competition
Hasn't stopped Gottfried from signing McD's AAs and other Top 100 talent.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If it were me coaching at Wichita, it would certainly be a no-brainer. But, even as a lifelong Tech man, I do not miss living in Atlanta. I grew up in Atlanta and lived most of my life there. If you like not having to drive in dense traffic to get home to spend time with your family, a small city like Wichita might be just about right.

That's fair. Just to be clear my only point was that we have more to offer than just money. Whether that's enough to land one of the big fish I have no idea. But I'd certainly like to think we are more enticing than NC state and certainly Nebraska to many people